Buddhanussati in Visuddhimagga: Nava Guna or Dasa?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Gwi

Re: Buddhanussati in Visuddhimagga: Nava Guna or Dasa?

Post by Gwi »

sukhamanveti wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:24 am This may seem like a trivial question, but it is relevant to my research. The Buddhanussati Gatha (see below) is often said to contain Nava Guna ("Nine Qualities") of the Buddha in the Theravadin world. Sometimes, however, a book divides them into 10 by placing a comma, so to speak, between anuttaro and purisadammasarathi, yielding "unsurpassed" and "a leader* of persons to be tamed," rather than an "unsurpassed leader of persons to be tamed." (Green brought this tenfold version to my attention in the Buddha titles thread.) I am interested to know how Buddhagosha divides the qualities or titles in chapter 7 of the Visuddhimagga (a book I do not yet own) or what number the commentaries give. In other words, is the 5th century view nine qualities or ten? Thank you much to anyone who can answer this question for me.

The Buddhanussati Gatha: Iti’ pi so bhagava araham sammasambuddho vijjacaranasampanno sugato lokavidu anuttaro purisadammasarathi sattha devamanussanam buddho bhagava’ti. (in e.g., MN 12 v. 5, etc.)

The Ninefold Interpretation:

“Thus indeed is the Exalted One (1) an accomplished one, (2) a fully-enlightened one, (3) endowed with knowledge and good conduct, (4) well gone or gone to bliss, (5) a knower of the world, (6) an unsurpassed leader of persons to be tamed, (7) a teacher of humans and devas, (8) the awakened or the one who knows, (9) the sublime or exalted.”

1. Arahat
2. Sammasambuddha
3. Vijjacaranasampanna
4. Sugata
5. Lokavidu
6. Anuttara Purisadammasarathi
7. Satha Devamanussanam
8. Buddha
9. Bhagava

*More literally, as the Pali Text Society's Pali-English Dictionary observes, sarathi means either "charioteer" or "trainer of horses." see http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philol ... :1:30.pali" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1. Arahat --> No stains
2. Sammāsambuddhå --> have omniscience
3. Vijjāsampannå --> mind (4) Caraṇa-sampannå --> deeds
4. Sugatå (5) ---> words --> His words are always true
5. Lokavidū (6) ---> The Ultimate Sage with Buddhacakkhu
(Sakyamuni)
6. Anuttarå Purisadammasārathi (7) ---> Dhammarājå
(The Best Mentor)
7. Satthā devamanussānaṃ (8) ---> Ruler of The Three Realms
(Devalokå, Brahmalokå, Manussalokå)
8. Buddhå (9) ---> Perfect Human
9. Bhagavā (10) ---> The Greatest
:bow:
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."
Ontheway

Re: Buddhanussati in Visuddhimagga: Nava Guna or Dasa?

Post by Ontheway »

Gwi wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:42 pm
sukhamanveti wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:24 am This may seem like a trivial question, but it is relevant to my research. The Buddhanussati Gatha (see below) is often said to contain Nava Guna ("Nine Qualities") of the Buddha in the Theravadin world. Sometimes, however, a book divides them into 10 by placing a comma, so to speak, between anuttaro and purisadammasarathi, yielding "unsurpassed" and "a leader* of persons to be tamed," rather than an "unsurpassed leader of persons to be tamed." (Green brought this tenfold version to my attention in the Buddha titles thread.) I am interested to know how Buddhagosha divides the qualities or titles in chapter 7 of the Visuddhimagga (a book I do not yet own) or what number the commentaries give. In other words, is the 5th century view nine qualities or ten? Thank you much to anyone who can answer this question for me.

The Buddhanussati Gatha: Iti’ pi so bhagava araham sammasambuddho vijjacaranasampanno sugato lokavidu anuttaro purisadammasarathi sattha devamanussanam buddho bhagava’ti. (in e.g., MN 12 v. 5, etc.)

The Ninefold Interpretation:

“Thus indeed is the Exalted One (1) an accomplished one, (2) a fully-enlightened one, (3) endowed with knowledge and good conduct, (4) well gone or gone to bliss, (5) a knower of the world, (6) an unsurpassed leader of persons to be tamed, (7) a teacher of humans and devas, (8) the awakened or the one who knows, (9) the sublime or exalted.”

1. Arahat
2. Sammasambuddha
3. Vijjacaranasampanna
4. Sugata
5. Lokavidu
6. Anuttara Purisadammasarathi
7. Satha Devamanussanam
8. Buddha
9. Bhagava

*More literally, as the Pali Text Society's Pali-English Dictionary observes, sarathi means either "charioteer" or "trainer of horses." see http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philol ... :1:30.pali" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1. Arahat --> No stains
2. Sammāsambuddhå --> have omniscience
3. Vijjāsampannå --> mind (4) Caraṇa-sampannå --> deeds
4. Sugatå (5) ---> words --> His words are always true
5. Lokavidū (6) ---> The Ultimate Sage with Buddhacakkhu
(Sakyamuni)
6. Anuttarå Purisadammasārathi (7) ---> Dhammarājå
(The Best Mentor)
7. Satthā devamanussānaṃ (8) ---> Ruler of The Three Realms
(Devalokå, Brahmalokå, Manussalokå)
8. Buddhå (9) ---> Perfect Human
9. Bhagavā (10) ---> The Greatest
:bow:
:?
2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 are wrong. Please quote from Suttanta texts. Not personal interpretation.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false