Alagaddupama Sutta

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Ben

Alagaddupama Sutta

Post by Ben »

A discourse by Bhikkhu Bodhi on the Alagaddupama Sutta (Simile of the Snake) Mn 22 available from Beyond the Net:
http://www.beyondthenet.net/AUDIO/Audio_Main.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
rowyourboat

Re: Alagaddupama Sutta

Post by rowyourboat »

Thanks for this Ben
I'm doing this sutta today in the meditation class, so this will be helpful

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Eko Care

Re: Alagaddupama Sutta

Post by Eko Care »

Apart from the simile of the snake, the suffering of sensual desires are emphasized in this sutta, as well.
"Good, monks. It is good that you thus understand the teaching proclaimed by me. For in many ways have I spoken of those obstructive things that they are obstructions, indeed, and that they necessarily obstruct him who pursues them. Sense desires, so have I said, bring little enjoyment, and much suffering and disappointment. The perils in them are greater. Sense desires are like bare bones, have I said; they are like a lump of flesh, like a torch of straw, like a pit of burning coals, like a dream, like borrowed goods, like a fruit-bearing tree, like a slaughter-house, like a stake of swords; like a snake's head are sense desires, have I said. They bring much suffering and disappointment. The perils in them are greater. But this monk Arittha, formerly of the vulture killers, misrepresents us by what he personally has wrongly grasped; he undermines his own (future) and creates much demerit. This will bring to this foolish man much harm and suffering for a long time.

9. "Monks, it is impossible indeed, that one can pursue sense gratification without sensual desire, without perceptions of sensual desire, without thoughts of sensual desire.
Alagaddupama Sutta