Some Discourses Translated by Bhikkhu Pesala

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Some Discourses Translated by Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Added the Aggivaccha Sutta

A Discourse on Fire to Vaccha. Answer to "Where does the Tathāgata go after death?" etc.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Added the Kevaṭṭa Sutta on the three kinds of mystic wonders.

Added the Bhaddekaratta Sutta

My translations are now available as collections from each nikāya as PDF files.
  • Dīghanikāya — Selected discourses from the Long Discourses of the Buddha.
  • Majjhimanikāya — Selected discourses from the Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha.
  • Aṅguttaranikāya — Selected discourses from the Book of Gradual Sayings or the Numerical Discourses of the Buddha.
  • Saṃyuttanikāya — Selected discourses from the Book of Kindred Sayings or the Collected Discourses of the Buddha.
  • Suttanipāta — Selected discourses from the Discourse Collection of the Khuddakanikāya.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Please send any feedback via the email on my website contact page.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Thank you for these Bhante :anjali:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Just what Dhamma Wheel needs. A story of a previous life from the Vinaya Mahāvagga related by the Blessed One in a fruitless attempt to reconcile a dispute between the quarrelling monks of Kosambī.

May all beings be free from disputes and contention. No doubt some foolish men will continue to dispute. Hopefully, the wise will understand the message.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

After a long time, I have added another translation to my website. This is a long one, with several passages repeated from the Brahmajāla Sutta, which I have not translated, so I included the relevant passages here.

The Pāṭika Sutta is the first discourse in the third book of the Long Discourses about Sunakkhatta and Psychic Powers. Venerable Sunakkhatta had just left the Saṅgha because the Buddha would not perform any psychic feats for him, or teach about the origin of the Universe.

The discourse was taught to Pāṭika, a wanderer of another sect. He gained faith in the Blessed One after the discourse, but I cannot find any more about what happened to him. Did he join the Saṅgha, or attain the Path as a lay person?

For a PDF version, download Selected Discourses from the Dīghanikāya, which now includes this additional sutta.

As usual, I will be grateful for any feedback about typos and other errors. Please send to my email address, rather than cluttering this topic with replies.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have fixed a number of typos, including one in the title of the Pāthika Sutta, and added a footnote about Bhaggava, to whom the discourse was taught.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I just added the Akkosa Sutta to the list of discourses that I have translated.

I updated the PDF for Selected Discourses from the Samyuttanikaya.