where is Maha Kasappa now?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
confusedlayman

where is Maha Kasappa now?

Post by confusedlayman »

Just was reading Maha Kasappa biography where later life and death was not given or not known. Some other place on internet long back I read he is still alive in mountain cave and waiting for next buddha to come where he given alms bowl or robe to new buddha.

but in sutta he already gave bown to ananda before parting with him,

So is he took pari nibbana or waiting for next buddha in samadhi under mountain cave ? is it vulture peak or what mountain? can we meet him and learn from him?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Nicolas

Re: where is Maha Kasappa now?

Post by Nicolas »

It is generally agreed upon that Mahākassapa was an arahant and therefore isn't anywhere.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Nicolas wrote: It is generally agreed upon that Mahākassapa was an arahant and therefore isn't anywhere.
isn't anywhere?
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

“There is that sphere where there is no earth, no water, no fire nor wind; no sphere of infinity of space, of infinity of consciousness, of nothingness or even of neither-perception-nor non-perception; there, there is neither this world nor the other world, neither moon nor sun; this sphere I call neither a coming nor a going nor a staying still, neither a dying nor a reappearance; it has no basis, no evolution and no support: this, just this, is the end of dukkha.”
~ Ud 8.1
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:36 pm It is generally agreed upon that Mahākassapa was an arahant and therefore isn't anywhere.
yes but isnt he staying now? did he really took pari nibbana?
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

It seems 5 Buddhas are not on the same planet, because if there was great civilizations in ancient India, or anywhere on Earth, then archaeology would have found it. 4 Buddhas and their civilizations are not empty, can not be empty.

If there are great civilizations with technology on this Earth, it can not disappear. Many material can not just disappear like uranium, steel, cement, glass.. It can not just buried, as an event like that, e.g. the surface of the Earth swallow evidences of civilizations, will leave great marks on Earth surface, and geology would have found it.

I dont have divine eye, so I dont know, but I dont believe 4 Buddhas had existed on this Earth. So they must exist in different planets. A maha kappa maybe an aeon of a solar system. It is said that different Buddhas have large difference in height. Only a significant gravity of different planet can support human with largely difference in height.

Since Metteyya will arise in another planet, the story of Kassapa entered a mountain, I believe it is a hoax.

I dont know whether someone with divine eye can know it for sure, bc the divine eye only see the world of perception, and there isnt any evidence that divine eye can know the reality, as ppl with divine eye mistaken deva world as real. We need a Buddha with scientific mind. Some masters like Osho reveals that deva world is the world of dream. Without ppl like him, we still believe in a flying castle in the sky.

Maybe I am wrong, i dont know, but that leave us a great effort to find out.
Please stop following me
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

cappuccino wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:36 pm
Nicolas wrote: It is generally agreed upon that Mahākassapa was an arahant and therefore isn't anywhere.
isn't anywhere?
"And suppose someone were to ask you, 'This fire that has gone out in front of you, in which direction from here has it gone? East? West? North? Or south?' Thus asked, how would you reply?"

"That doesn't apply, Master Gotama. Any fire burning dependent on a sustenance of grass and timber, being unnourished — from having consumed that sustenance and not being offered any other — is classified simply as 'out' (unbound)."
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

whynotme wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:14 pm It seems 5 Buddhas are not on the same planet, because if there was great civilizations in ancient India, or anywhere on Earth, then archaeology would have found it. 4 Buddhas and their civilizations are not empty, can not be empty.

If there are great civilizations with technology on this Earth, it can not disappear. Many material can not just disappear like uranium, steel, cement, glass.. It can not just buried, as an event like that, e.g. the surface of the Earth swallow evidences of civilizations, will leave great marks on Earth surface, and geology would have found it.

I dont have divine eye, so I dont know, but I dont believe 4 Buddhas had existed on this Earth. So they must exist in different planets. A maha kappa maybe an aeon of a solar system. It is said that different Buddhas have large difference in height. Only a significant gravity of different planet can support human with largely difference in height.

Since Metteyya will arise in another planet, the story of Kassapa entered a mountain, I believe it is a hoax.

I dont know whether someone with divine eye can know it for sure, bc the divine eye only see the world of perception, and there isnt any evidence that divine eye can know the reality, as ppl with divine eye mistaken deva world as real. We need a Buddha with scientific mind. Some masters like Osho reveals that deva world is the world of dream. Without ppl like him, we still believe in a flying castle in the sky.

Maybe I am wrong, i dont know, but that leave us a great effort to find out.
its given n mahayana sutta so maybe its fake just realized its not anywhere in theraveda
bodom

Post by bodom »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:45 pm
Nicolas wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:36 pm It is generally agreed upon that Mahākassapa was an arahant and therefore isn't anywhere.
People don't normally live for over 2600 years. Even Arahants.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

bodom wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:23 pm

why? why not an eon? in nirodha samapati?
bodom

Post by bodom »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:32 pm
bodom wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:23 pm

why? why not an eon? in nirodha samapati?
Because it's not physically possible.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

seeker242 wrote: That doesn't apply
“There is that sphere where there is no earth, no water, no fire nor wind; no sphere of infinity of space, of infinity of consciousness, of nothingness or even of neither-perception-nor non-perception; there, there is neither this world nor the other world, neither moon nor sun; this sphere I call neither a coming nor a going nor a staying still, neither a dying nor a reappearance; it has no basis, no evolution and no support: this, just this, is the end of dukkha.”
~ Ud 8.1
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Asking where he went is like asking which way did the fire go. The quote posted said “neither coming nor going”, but still asking where did he go? Well, since there is neither coming nor going, where did he go is not applicable. Where did he go assumes there’s was some kind of going. But like the quote posted, there isn’t any going to begin with.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

seeker242 wrote: Asking where he went is like asking which way did the fire go.
not the same as being nowhere

“There is that sphere where
~ Ud 8.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

How can anyone be somewhere if they don’t go there first?

“There is that sphere” does not say that someone is in that sphere. It doesn’t say that because the whole notion of someone being somewhere is already a mistake.