Why does Classical Theravada become your favorite choice, rather than all the other paths?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
mjaviem

Re: Why does Classical Theravada become your favorite choice, rather than all the other paths?

Post by mjaviem »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:15 am .
  • Why?
I know little about theravada and less about the other traditions.

What I like about buddhism is that it doesn't rely on miracles or on forces of gods or magical forces. What I like about theravada is that it doesn't rely on undefinable aspects of the universe. I see theravada more "down to earth" so to speak. And I like that it's more concerned with our experience and the mind (rather than objects of the world like in science). And I like it's about our existence (or non-existence one could say) and about an escape and concepts like those that are to me philosophically intriguing. Yet the whole point is not about entering into philosophical debates without making progress but to try and see for one self, to watch our own heart (mind) and practise and get free.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: Why does Classical Theravada become your favorite choice, rather than all the other paths?

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:52 pm
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:15 am Why?

Buddha is the first enlightened in our time

perhaps the only enlightened teacher still

umm!

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:54 pm
cappuccino wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:52 pm Buddha is the first enlightened in our time

perhaps the only enlightened teacher still

umm!
well perhaps
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:20 am Because, it makes things fall into place, imo, regarding Buddha's teachings.
And, there seems no better alternative out there.
Inedible wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:55 am Theravada is the only branch to encourage me to study Dhamma, practice Dhamma, and make progress now.
It doesn't depend on fixing my outer life first, saving up money, .., and hoping there will finally be a good teacher there.
lostitude wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:12 pm Because it seems closest to what the Buddha actually taught, and because in general it seems to be the branch of Buddhism that attaches the least importance to mythology and focuses instead on the cure-disease approach through individual responsibility.
Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:20 am Same!
dharmatheway84 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:00 am I am brand new to Buddhism, but this answer makes perfect sense to me. Thank you for posting.
bodhifollower wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:06 am Because it seems true.
pitithefool wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:54 pm For me, it's got to be because the canon is the single most internally consistent religious text anywhere I've ever seen and I'm actually able to practice what's described there. it all makes logical sense, and there's more than enough info in the canon to sortof figure where to go. All the other traditions in Buddhism seem to very closely border on wrong view or add unnecessary doctrine to the theravadin teaching or worse, slander arahants.
one_awakening wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:33 am It feels like the closest to what The Buddha taught
I believe most of the followers of other paths are either inexperienced or trolls.
I can see most of the followers of Classical Theravada are either experienced or sensible.

Therefore it adds weight on Classical Theravada.
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

I think that there is a greater emphasis on morality in Theravada than in other traditions. I do not like to generalize, but that has been experience thusfar.

Morality must be the basis on which you build your meditation practice. If you're not trying to be moral, what does your practice really mean?

I do have great respect for Tibetan and Zen Buddhism, although I am more a blend of Tibetan + Theravada. I'm not sure Zen will ever be the path I take, despite all the truths and beauty in it. It doesn't suit my personality in a general
sense.

I hope I didn't offend anyone and that my words were pure.

:anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:57 pm I think that there is a greater emphasis on morality in Theravada than in other traditions. I do not like to generalize, but that has been experience thusfar.

Morality must be the basis on which you build your meditation practice. If you're not trying to be moral, what does your practice really mean?
Yes.

Morality
Humility
Down to earth
Not self contradictory
Far-sighted
Ascetic
Less engaged
Upstream
Not going refuge in Teachers
Choice of the Wise
Choice of the Elders

.... and many more.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

If "classical Theravada" is referring to what was recorded from the First Council till the Third Council and preserved by ancient Mahavihara, then that is my cup of tea.

But if it refers to Thai forest tradition, any modern Sri Lankan or Burmese lineage that involves Acariyavada...that I am not interested.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Its my favorite on here because its easy to learn about without the never ending conjecture of modern people's personal opinions. And its interesting to learn about something derived from ancient, preserved and well regarded commentaries rather than the commentaries of random people on the internet.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
alicem

Post by alicem »

While I think that both are valid, Theravada requires less assumptions about the nature of reality and is based on less sectarian texts. I am also more culturally attached to the Pali language and Laos, so I prefer to follow the Buddha-sāsana of the Theravada lineage than others which use Sanskrit or are found in East Asia.
Observing

Post by Observing »

Because it's the only path that I've been on which has led to wisdom through direct experience (rather than someone telling me what to think or believe or do through doctrine). It is also the only path that, when I began practicing, has led to me letting go of experiences I was clinging to for most of my life that were making me suffer.
Padipa

Post by Padipa »

lostitude wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:12 pm Because it seems closest to what the Buddha actually taught, and because in general it seems to be the branch of Buddhism that attaches the least importance to mythology and focuses instead on the cure-disease approach through individual responsibility.
I agree, %100! Bho Gotoma's teachings were free of dogma and the focus was upon human beings. I see it as a kind of humanism--a belief in the ability of human beings to ascend, on their own efforts--without blind faith, without gods. Unfortunately, after the Buddha, much of Buddhism degenerated into a fight for heterodoxy. Once you dogmatize, or try to concretize the teachings, you kill them. Every being occupies a unique time and psychobiology, therefore, every being's liberation is unique. Great leaders can only point in the general direction of the way, they cannot map out individual plans for individuals.

Unfortunately, even here in this wonderful forum, people often get lost in silly argumentation over trivial points--precisely what the Buddha strove to avoid.