rites and rituals

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
confusedlayman

rites and rituals

Post by confusedlayman »

What is addiction to rites and ceremonies. A. There are two kinds
in addiction to rites and ceremonies. They are, (addiction due to) craving and (addiction due to) delusion. (Hereone thinks thus:) "Through this vow, through this conduct, through this painful practice and through this holiness, I shall be reborn in heaven or I shall be reborn in every heaven". This is called addiction to rites and ceremonies due to craving. Here a recluse or a brahmin thinks: "Through this virtue, through this purity and the action of purity of virtue, (I shall be reborn etc.)". This is called addiction to rites
and ceremonies due to delusion.

This is also cut off.

can someone tell me what's wrong with highlighted statement?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
DooDoot

Re: rites and rituals

Post by DooDoot »

ego rituals that uphold personality habit includes making posts without links or references that cause difficulties for others.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

DooDoot wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:43 pm ego rituals that uphold personality habit includes making posts without links or references that cause difficulties for others.
vimutimagga
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:09 pm can someone tell me what's wrong with highlighted statement?
sure, with the available information
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:38 pm What is addiction to rites and ceremonies. A. There are two kinds in addiction to rites and ceremonies. They are, (addiction due to) craving and (addiction due to) delusion.
having craving & delusion are wrong per the Noble Path.
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:38 pm(Hereone thinks thus:) "Through this vow, through this conduct, through this painful practice and through this holiness, I shall be reborn in heaven or I shall be reborn in every heaven".
The teaching of the 10 fetters is supramundane (lokuttara). 'Rebirth' is mundane, connected to 'asava' (defilement) & 'upadh' (acquisitions of self). "Heaven" is not the purpose of the Noble Path of eradicating the 10 fetters. Therefore, aspiration for heaven is delusion & craving per the Noble Path.
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:38 pmHere a recluse or a brahmin thinks: "Through this virtue, through this purity and the action of purity of virtue, (I shall be reborn etc.)".
The goal of the Noble Path is not "rebirth". The idea of "rebirth" makes it impossible to cut the 1st fetter of identity view. The suttas (MN 117) clearly say "rebirth" is not a factor of the Noble Path. This is why the highlighted statement is wrong.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

BlackMagic

Post by BlackMagic »

It's another leap off of the ten thousand foot pole...

Since you're delving into the VM; the most important thing to know? No god no Brahmin can be said to be the maker of all of this. All I can say is good luck as nothing in it is the eightfold path; but all if it is the four noble truths... in my opinion it's all the taboo that has stuck many on the path deep into a thick tarbaby of a trap that is easy to get oneself into and difficult to get oneself out of.
What has happened; Is that which has yet to come. What will be ...Already is.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:57 am
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:09 pm can someone tell me what's wrong with highlighted statement?
sure, with the available information
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:38 pm What is addiction to rites and ceremonies. A. There are two kinds in addiction to rites and ceremonies. They are, (addiction due to) craving and (addiction due to) delusion.
having craving & delusion are wrong per the Noble Path.
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:38 pm(Hereone thinks thus:) "Through this vow, through this conduct, through this painful practice and through this holiness, I shall be reborn in heaven or I shall be reborn in every heaven".
The teaching of the 10 fetters is supramundane (lokuttara). 'Rebirth' is mundane, connected to 'asava' (defilement) & 'upadh' (acquisitions of self). "Heaven" is not the purpose of the Noble Path of eradicating the 10 fetters. Therefore, aspiration for heaven is delusion & craving per the Noble Path.
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:38 pmHere a recluse or a brahmin thinks: "Through this virtue, through this purity and the action of purity of virtue, (I shall be reborn etc.)".
The goal of the Noble Path is not "rebirth". The idea of "rebirth" makes it impossible to cut the 1st fetter of identity view. The suttas (MN 117) clearly say "rebirth" is not a factor of the Noble Path. This is why the highlighted statement is wrong.
Thanks.. but craving for existance is different fetter than rites and rituals which removes only at arhantship? Whats the differenxe?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:30 am Thanks.. but craving for existance is different fetter than rites and rituals which removes only at arhantship? Whats the differenxe?
The term "craving for existence" does not exist in Pali. "Bhava" means "becoming" rather than "existence". "Bhava" is an "asava" or "mental defilement/formation". Your physical life on this Earth is not a "bhava". Each of the 10 fetters are examples of "becoming".