Bad Makkhali

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Pondera

Bad Makkhali

Post by Pondera »

Just came across this verse. Interesting that Makkhali Gosola was such a bad influence 🤔

https://suttacentral.net/an1.316-332/en/sujato
“Mendicants, I do not see a single other person who acts for the hurt and unhappiness of the people, for the harm, hurt, and suffering of many people, of gods and humans like that silly man, Makkhali. Just as a trap set at the mouth of a river would bring harm, suffering, calamity, and disaster for many fish, so too that silly man, Makkhali, is a trap for humans, it seems to me. He has arisen in the world for the harm, suffering, calamity, and disaster of many beings.”
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Dhammanando

Re: Bad Makkhali

Post by Dhammanando »

Later in the same Nikāya the Buddha explains why his doctrine is so bad:
137 (5) A Hair Blanket

“Bhikkhus, a hair blanket is declared to be the worst kind of woven garment. A hair blanket is cold in cold weather, hot in hot weather, ugly, foul-smelling, and uncomfortable. So too, the doctrine of Makkhali is declared the worst among the doctrines of the various ascetics. The hollow man Makkhali teaches the doctrine and view: ‘There is no kamma, no deed, no energy.’

(1) “Bhikkhus, the Blessed Ones, Arahants, Perfectly Enlightened Ones of the past taught a doctrine of kamma, a doctrine of deeds, a doctrine of energy. Yet the hollow man Makkhali contradicts them [with his claim]: ‘There is no kamma, no deed, no energy.’

(2) “The Blessed Ones, Arahants, Perfectly Enlightened Ones of the future will also teach a doctrine of kamma, a doctrine of deeds, a doctrine of energy. Yet the hollow man Makkhali contradicts them [with his claim]: ‘There is no kamma, no deed, no energy.’

(3) “At present I am the Arahant, the Perfectly Enlightened One, and I teach a doctrine of kamma, a doctrine of deeds, a doctrine of energy. Yet the hollow man Makkhali contradicts me [with his claim]: ‘There is no kamma, no deed, no energy.’

“Just as a trap set at the mouth of a river would bring about harm, suffering, calamity, and disaster to many fish, so too, the hollow man Makkhali is, as it were, a ‘trap for people’ who has arisen in the world for the harm, suffering, calamity, and disaster of many beings.”
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Pondera

Re: Bad Makkhali

Post by Pondera »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:18 am Later in the same Nikāya the Buddha explains why his doctrine is so bad:
137 (5) A Hair Blanket

“Bhikkhus, a hair blanket is declared to be the worst kind of woven garment. A hair blanket is cold in cold weather, hot in hot weather, ugly, foul-smelling, and uncomfortable. So too, the doctrine of Makkhali is declared the worst among the doctrines of the various ascetics. The hollow man Makkhali teaches the doctrine and view: ‘There is no kamma, no deed, no energy.’

(1) “Bhikkhus, the Blessed Ones, Arahants, Perfectly Enlightened Ones of the past taught a doctrine of kamma, a doctrine of deeds, a doctrine of energy. Yet the hollow man Makkhali contradicts them [with his claim]: ‘There is no kamma, no deed, no energy.’

(2) “The Blessed Ones, Arahants, Perfectly Enlightened Ones of the future will also teach a doctrine of kamma, a doctrine of deeds, a doctrine of energy. Yet the hollow man Makkhali contradicts them [with his claim]: ‘There is no kamma, no deed, no energy.’

(3) “At present I am the Arahant, the Perfectly Enlightened One, and I teach a doctrine of kamma, a doctrine of deeds, a doctrine of energy. Yet the hollow man Makkhali contradicts me [with his claim]: ‘There is no kamma, no deed, no energy.’

“Just as a trap set at the mouth of a river would bring about harm, suffering, calamity, and disaster to many fish, so too, the hollow man Makkhali is, as it were, a ‘trap for people’ who has arisen in the world for the harm, suffering, calamity, and disaster of many beings.”
Thank you, Bhante.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded