Question metta

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
mario92

Question metta

Post by mario92 »

Namaste i have a question is about metta, metta can be translated as being kind, is being kind more meritorius than building a monastery or giving food to the buddha? I ask because there is the velama sutta that says so. Also if you have anger which is the oposite of metta is it superdestructive? Thanks
dharmacorps

Re: Question metta

Post by dharmacorps »

Metta is best translated as goodwill, or even friendliness. Lovingkindness is a common translation, although somewhat imprecise and dated. I have never heard of the translation "kind".

Ill-will (anger) is said to be greatly blamed, but is quick to go away, as compared to green which is to be slightly blamed, but slow to go away.

As for merit, it is best to give when and where you feel moved (Buddha's advice).
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

metta is shining light of good will (in various direction) into the world

deliberate, high energy, difficult
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

The Hidden Messages in Water - Masaru Emoto

In this New York Times bestseller, internationally renowned Japanese scientist Masaru Emoto shows how the influence of our thoughts, words and feelings on molecules of water can positively impact the earth and our personal health.
This book has the potential to profoundly transform your world view. Using high-speed photography, Dr. Masaru Emoto discovered that crystals formed in frozen water reveal changes when specific, concentrated thoughts are directed toward them. He found that water from clear springs and water that has been exposed to loving words shows brilliant, complex, and colorful snowflake patterns. In contrast, polluted water, or water exposed to negative thoughts, forms incomplete, asymmetrical patterns with dull colors. The implications of this research create a new awareness of how we can positively impact the earth and our personal health.

https://www.amazon.com.br/Hidden-Messag ... 0743289803

Water Crystals by Masaru Emoto | What the Bleep do we Know?

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
frank k

Post by frank k »

dharmacorps wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:34 pm ...
Ill-will (anger) is said to be greatly blamed, but is quick to go away, as compared to green which is to be slightly blamed, but slow to go away.
what is green?
oh you mean greed?

Could you cite the source? Is it Vism. or sutta?
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

mario92 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:04 pm Namaste i have a question is about metta, metta can be translated as being kind, is being kind more meritorius than building a monastery or giving food to the buddha? I ask because there is the velama sutta that says so. Also if you have anger which is the oposite of metta is it superdestructive? Thanks
:namaste:

I remember in Suttanta did teach something like this... Metta meditation, if attaining Jhanas, is far more meritorious to Dana or Sila etc. It is conducive for the rebirth in Brahma world with great power, glory, happiness. Meanwhile the other two could lead you to Deva world or human world. In this case, Brahma world is superior to both Deva and human worlds. When the meditator successfully cultivated Metta quality, anger is suppressed greatly and not expressive. But anger still exists as long as the meditator did not attain Sainthood.

Buddha did not say Metta Bhavana or loving kindness meditation was his idea. Metta Bhavana is a known meditation practice among Samanas, and surely now Hindus or many spiritual practitioners do that. But Buddha also did mention that many misguided meditators, although attained Jhanas and reborn to Brahma Worlds, after a long time of heedlessness, still fall to woeful states such as Great Avici Hell etc in subsequent lives to come. There is no guarantee of safety in Samsara by doing Metta Bhavana alone.
Deleted
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:58 pm But anger still exists as long as the meditator did not attain Sainthood.
Wrong. Anger is gone in the Non-Returner. :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

frank k wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:55 pm
dharmacorps wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:34 pm ...
what is green?
oh you mean greed?

Could you cite the source? Is it Vism. or sutta?
vimutitagga I think
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

I've just recently finished reading the Vimuttimagga for the first time. Either I missed that part or it is somewhere else. But what I remember reading about anger, from the beginning when I was just starting to read about Buddhism, is that a single moment of anger can lead to destroying merit which took years to build up.

As for metta, I keep reading that it is enough just to have good intentions toward people. The actual feelings aren't required for success. This is good news for me, because I often find being actually around other people shows me that anger, aversion, and cruelty still come much more readily. The worse they are the more karuna I should have. It is really hard to change my automatic reactions. If I could just never see anyone again I could have perfect metta.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Inedible wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:41 pm I've just recently finished reading the Vimuttimagga for the first time. Either I missed that part or it is somewhere else. But what I remember reading about anger, from the beginning when I was just starting to read about Buddhism, is that a single moment of anger can lead to destroying merit which took years to build up.

As for metta, I keep reading that it is enough just to have good intentions toward people. The actual feelings aren't required for success. This is good news for me, because I often find being actually around other people shows me that anger, aversion, and cruelty still come much more readily. The worse they are the more karuna I should have. It is really hard to change my automatic reactions. If I could just never see anyone again I could have perfect metta.
u need to see good will in bad people so u do metta even when living among bad people... the gun man theif coming to store to point gun at store keeper for a piece of bread stealing is suffering from hunger so see good qualities in bad people.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:43 pm see good qualities in bad people.
bad qualities can't be seen as good qualities
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:32 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:43 pm see good qualities in bad people.
bad qualities can't be seen as good qualities
See good qualities in bad people is different from seeing bad qualities as good qualities.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Knowing how I am supposed to see people isn't the problem. I do know. The problem is that my actual responses to a lot of people I see are much more harmful. I have tried interrupting the patterns by acknowledging that I shouldn't feel that way. It is a step closer to the correct responses. Really, though, metta would be so much easier without all those people ruining it for me.
Dweller

Post by Dweller »

I think automatic negative thoughts and reactions are generating bad kamma only if we intentionally decide to think or act in line with them.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested