Memorizing Pali Video

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
bksubhuti

Memorizing Pali Video

Post by bksubhuti »

Many people do not know Rote learning for Pali since Rote learning is pretty much a dirty word in the West.
Because of this, I made this video below:

If you want to share to the general group or elsewhere it is encouraged.
I stay away from the general group since it is not Theravada.
Ontheway

Re: Memorizing Pali Video

Post by Ontheway »

bksubhuti wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:10 am Many people do not know Rote learning for Pali since Rote learning is pretty much a dirty word in the West.
Because of this, I made this video below:

If you want to share to the general group or elsewhere it is encouraged.
I stay away from the general group since it is not Theravada.
:anjali: thank you Bhante for sharing.

In the past, I use the rhythm to help me in memorising Pali stanzas. So far, I memorised Pali scriptures such as Karaniyametta Sutta, Moraparitta, Bojjhanga Paritta, Paticca Samuppada, and Patthana Paccayuddeso using this method.

For myself, I think I can memorise certain Pali passages too by simply chant them everyday nonstop for a certain period, to immerse myself in those words, and look at them again and again. By this I memorised the introductory verses of Abhidhamma Sattappakarana.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
bksubhuti

Post by bksubhuti »

yes.. the video covers passive and aggressive methods. it also mentions that Rhythm and Tones are very important and included in the video. The passive method is just to chant daily and is the recommended way to learn in the video. However, the video goes into aggressive methods for learning longer portions of Pali like the patimokkha or longer suttas.

It seems like you have something already going for you that works. That is good.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

bksubhuti wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:30 am yes.. the video covers passive and aggressive methods. it also mentions that Rhythm and Tones are very important and included in the video. The passive method is just to chant daily and is the recommended way to learn in the video. However, the video goes into aggressive methods for learning longer portions of Pali like the patimokkha or longer suttas.

It seems like you have something already going for you that works. That is good.
Thank you Bhante. I visited your blog in the past, it is very educational. Perhaps you can clear our doubts in various topics in this Classical Theravada section, there are people that will appreciate your sharing.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

bksubhuti

Post by bksubhuti »

Ontheway wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:16 am
Thank you Bhante. I visited your blog in the past, it is very educational. Perhaps you can clear our doubts in various topics in this Classical Theravada section, there are people that will appreciate your sharing.
Which ones? I was going to make a video on the commentary structure, and borrowed the Wisdom MN yesterday to explain what it is all about and the logical structure, I think that can solve some problems since most people think the commentaries are only about talking animals and babies.
There is actually one practitioner who, on the way to getting instructions for dependent origination (5th method, vsm, paauk), can remember talking to his mother during certain verifiable circumstances that happened at age 1 and were unique to his life at that age. This event was verified with his parents as true since it is not psychic power to remember something in this life. It freaked out his parents Obviously he was not talking to his parents in English but the expression came out as crying or something. This story caused another monk to verify other events when he was a baby and freak his parents out too. :)

However, I don't want to get involved with the harsh-speech-commy-haters which are in the other groups who sometimes lurk in this group. That is why I no longer post in the general group even though this memorizing pali video would be useful to them.. As the Buddha said in the Suttas.. we should stay in our own territory. Yes.. we read and suttas (wink).
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

bksubhuti wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:24 pm
Ontheway wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:16 am
Which ones? I was going to make a video on the commentary structure, and borrowed the Wisdom MN yesterday to explain what it is all about and the logical structure, I think that can solve some problems since most people think the commentaries are only about talking animals and babies.
There is actually one practitioner who, on the way to getting instructions for dependent origination (5th method, vsm, paauk), can remember talking to his mother during certain verifiable circumstances that happened at age 1 and were unique to his life at that age. This event was verified with his parents as true since it is not psychic power to remember something in this life. It freaked out his parents Obviously he was not talking to his parents in English but the expression came out as crying or something. This story caused another monk to verify other events when he was a baby and freak his parents out too. :)

However, I don't want to get involved with the harsh-speech-commy-haters which are in the other groups who sometimes lurk in this group. That is why I no longer post in the general group even though this memorizing pali video would be useful to them.. As the Buddha said in the Suttas.. we should stay in our own territory. Yes.. we read and suttas (wink).
Hi, Bhante.
Some topics in your blog are really interesting, one of them is this:
https://americanmonk.org/only-in-the-west-only-in-asia/

Maybe in future, if it is possible, Bhante can make a list of evidence that can be found in both Suttanta Pitaka and Vinaya Pitaka, to examine whether Abhidhamma is the Buddha's teaching or not. I believe, that list will come in handy and will certainly inspire more laypeople to study it. :anjali:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

bksubhuti

Post by bksubhuti »

I will post a video