Is there any Pali commentary and sub commentary on fire sermon sutta in English that I can read online ?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Ratnakar

Is there any Pali commentary and sub commentary on fire sermon sutta in English that I can read online ?

Post by Ratnakar »

I am interested in what the earlier arahants thought about that sutta

Thanks
Ontheway

Re: Is there any Pali commentary and sub commentary on fire sermon sutta in English that I can read online ?

Post by Ontheway »

Ratnakar wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:22 am I am interested in what the earlier arahants thought about that sutta

Thanks
This Sutta is in Samyutta Nikaya. So the Atthakatha for this Nikaya should be "Saratthappakasini", I don't think it has English translation. I have the Thai version though. Let me read it see if I found it or not or can understand or not, then I will translate it and put here later.
IMG_20211130_141752.jpg
Saratthappakasini
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Assaji

Re: Is there any Pali commentary and sub commentary on fire sermon sutta in English that I can read online ?

Post by Assaji »

Hi Ratnakar,
Ratnakar wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:22 am I am interested in what the earlier arahants thought about that sutta
Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi cites a bit of the Commentary:
This sutta, often called “The Fire Sermon,” is the third discourse of the Buddha as recorded in the narrative of his ministry at Vin I 34–35. According to this source, the thousand bhikkhus were former jaṭila (matted-hair) ascetics under the leadership of the three Kassapa brothers. The Buddha had converted them by a series of miracles, after which he preached the present sermon. The sermon gains special meaning from the fact that before their conversion these ascetics had been devoted to the fire sacrifice. The full account is at Vin I 24–34; see Ñāṇamoli, Life of the Buddha, pp. 54–60, 64–69.
Spk: Having led the thousand bhikkhus to Gayā’s Head, the Blessed One reflected, “What kind of Dhamma talk would be suitable for them?” He then realized, “In the past they worshipped the fire morning and evening. I will teach them that the twelve sense bases are burning and blazing. In this way they will be able to attain arahantship.” In this sutta the characteristic of suffering is discussed.

See Ñāṇamoli, Life of the Buddha, pp. 54–60, 64–69.

https://store.pariyatti.org/life-of-the-buddha

:anjali:
Ratnakar

Post by Ratnakar »

Ontheway wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:16 am

Thanks
This Sutta is in Samyutta Nikaya. So the Atthakatha for this Nikaya should be "Saratthappakasini", I don't think it has English translation. I have the Thai version though. Let me read it see if I found it or not or can understand or not, then I will translate it and put here later.

IMG_20211130_141752.jpgSaratthappakasini
Thanks, if the sub commentary exists if you don't mind please translate it too
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Ratnakar wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:59 am

Thanks

I don't think there is subcommentary to that commentary. Even if there is, I don't take that as authority for understanding.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Thanks

I read the commentary of Adittapariyaya sutta in Saratthappakasini...there are two parts of it, the first part of the commentary dealing with the past life of those three Bhikkhus, another part is the exactly as what was translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi above posted by Assaji. That's all about this sutta.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ratnakar

Post by Ratnakar »

Ontheway wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:20 am

I don't think there is subcommentary to that commentary. Even if there is, I don't take that as authority for understanding.
I take Pali, commentary, sub commentary and even anutika for authority since I dont think I know the commentary better than Pali sub commentators, I don't think I know the sub commentary better than Pali anutika commentators,etc etc but I respect your opinion it's cool that you know the commentary better than Pali sub commentators

I want the opinion of Buddha, earlier arahants and second generation arahants
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Ratnakar wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:53 pm
Ontheway wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:20 am
I take Pali, commentary, sub commentary and even anutika for authority since I dont think I know the commentary better than Pali sub commentators, I don't think I know the sub commentary better than Pali anutika commentators,etc etc but I respect your opinion it's cool that you know the commentary better than Pali sub commentators

I want the opinion of Buddha, earlier arahants and second generation arahants
Yes, I also agree that the opinions of Buddha, earlier arahants and second generation arahants are of foremost importance. This is why I taken up "Vibhajjavada" as my practice.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.