Where to find the commentaries?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Mydnight

Where to find the commentaries?

Post by Mydnight »

Does anyone know if the commentaries and sub-commentaries have been complied in a consistent form (much like the pali canon)?
Or are these loose collections scattered here and there, having yet to be consolidated for the modern reader? If anyone can point me to the comms and the sub-comms, i'll be really grateful!

Thanks all
waryoffolly

Re: Where to find the commentaries?

Post by waryoffolly »

Mydnight wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:49 am Does anyone know if the commentaries and sub-commentaries have been complied in a consistent form (much like the pali canon)?
Or are these loose collections scattered here and there, having yet to be consolidated for the modern reader? If anyone can point me to the comms and the sub-comms, i'll be really grateful!

Thanks all
See here:
https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/pl ... ions/16882

Most of the available commentaries in English translation on that list can be found by searching for them with google. Let me know if you can't find one you're looking for.

If you can read Thai then you're in an even better position: viewtopic.php?p=655644#p655644 .

See this thread for the commentaries in pali as well: viewtopic.php?p=646108#p646108

Also, Bhikkhu Bodhi's translations of the suttas contain snippets from the commentaries in the end notes (in English).
Last edited by waryoffolly on Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Mydnight,
They are very organised, and available in Pali in several places.

At Buddhanexus there is even the possibility of machine translation:
https://buddhanexus.net/pli/neutral

There are English translations available for some individual suttas, and there are some posts that give lists. Many translators quote parts of the Commentaries as footnotes. Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of the Sutta Nipata includes the entire commentary.

Here's a thread with a list of English translations: viewtopic.php?t=31202

:heart:
Mike
waryoffolly

Post by waryoffolly »

mikenz66 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:15 am At Buddhanexus there is even the possibility of machine translation:
It's not quite readable yet for the commentaries. Give it another year and I bet it will be, given the quick progress in NLP we're seeing currently.

(But that's a good place to see them in Pali)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

waryoffolly wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:22 am
mikenz66 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:15 am At Buddhanexus there is even the possibility of machine translation:
It's not quite readable yet for the commentaries. Give it another year and I bet it will be, given the quick progress in NLP we're seeing currently.

(But that's a good place to see them in Pali)
It's certainly getting better. Ven Vimala has been feeding it some translations of commentaries for training, in addition to the sutta translations. At least for the Abhidhamma and Commentaries you can get some idea what they are talking about.

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/tm ... lish/21079

:heart:
Mike
Mydnight

Post by Mydnight »

Thank you all, you are amazing indeed.

Is there a list of "official" commentaries either recognised scholarly or traditionally?
I reckon those by Buddhaghosa https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atthakatha are considered the official ones? And then we have the loose ones by other authors. Then comes the sub-commentaries and the sub-sub commentaries by others later on, is this correct?
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Mydnight wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:09 am Thank you all, you are amazing indeed.

Is there a list of "official" commentaries either recognised scholarly or traditionally?
I reckon those by Buddhaghosa https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atthakatha are considered the official ones? And then we have the loose ones by other authors. Then comes the sub-commentaries and the sub-sub commentaries by others later on, is this correct?
I think only Atthakatha translated by Acariya Buddhaghosa from Sinhalese back to Pali are considered the official ones.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Mydnight

Post by Mydnight »

Ontheway wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:06 am

I think only Atthakatha translated by Acariya Buddhaghosa from Sinhalese back to Pali are considered the official ones.
Thank you, Ontheway :namaste:
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Mydnight wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:04 am

http://theravadaarticles.weebly.com/the ... ition.html

Just sharing. A good article about Atthakatha.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Mydnight

Post by Mydnight »

Ontheway wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:11 am

Thanks for the info :namaste:
bksubhuti

Post by bksubhuti »

TPP will show you the organization of the commentaries in treeview form.
Also there is a dictionary called UPED which can help you read the commentaries.

I recently posted this in the pali section: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=42486

The commentaries are organized to point to the VSM in most cases dealing with Practice.
The commentaries are like a cumulative dictionary. So you might have to look earlier in the books or nikaya to find proper references. The earlier sections of the commentaries will usually be more detailed.
robertk

Post by robertk »

nice article. :anjali:
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

robertk wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:43 pm

nice article. :anjali:
Hi, robertk. I'm glad you like it. :anjali:

bksubhuti wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:47 pm ......

The commentaries are organized to point to the VSM in most cases dealing with Practice.
The commentaries are like a cumulative dictionary. So you might have to look earlier in the books or nikaya to find proper references. The earlier sections of the commentaries will usually be more detailed.
I agreed with Venerable Subhuti :anjali:

I would suggest that if anyone wanted to read the Atthakatha, one should get familiar with Visuddhimagga first. Because Visuddhimagga itself is a kind of commentary (to Jaṭāsutta, Rathavinītasutta, Mahasatipatthanasutta, and many more) or should I say, a complete exegesis of Pāli Tipitaka according to the structure of Sila, Samadhi, Paññā and following the seven steps of purification as taught in Suttas such as Rathavinītasutta and Dasuttarasutta.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Here is a list I posted (created by someone else) some months ago in the thread Commentary Review.

English Translations of Pāli Commentaries on Canonical Texts
• Buddhist Legends Translated from the Original Pāli Text of the Dhammapada Commentary, 3 parts – trans. Eugene Watson Burlingame (1921)
• The Clarifier of the Sweet Meaning (Madhuratthavilasini): commentary on the chronicle of Buddhas (Buddhavaṃsa) – trans. I.B. Horner (1978)
• The Commentary on the Itivuttaka, 2 vols. – trans. Peter Masefield (2008-2009)
• The Commentary on the Verses of the Therīs – trans. William Pruitt (1998)
Debates Commentary: Kathāvatthuppakaraṇa-Aṭṭhakathā – trans. B.C. Law (1989)
The Dhammapada: A New Translation with the Pali Text and First English Translation of the Commentary’s Explanation of the Verses with Notes Translated from Sinhala Sources and Critical Textual Comments – trans. John Ross Carter and Mahinda Palihawadana (1987)
The Dispeller of Delusion (Sammohavinodanī), 2 parts – trans. Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli (1996)
• The Expositor (Aṭṭhasālinī): Buddhaghosa’s Commentary on Dhammasaṅgaṇi – trans. Pe Maung Tin (1921)
• Elucidation of the Intrinsic Meaning: so named the commentary on the Peta-stories (Paramatthadīpani nāma Petavatthu-āṭṭhakathā) – trans. Uba Kyaw (1980)
• Elucidation of the Intrinsic Meaning: so named the commentary on the Vimāna stories: Paramatthadīpani nāma Vimānavatthu-aṭṭhakathā – trans. Peter Masefield & N.A. Jayawickrama (2007)
• The Inception of Discipline & the Vinaya Nidāna: Being a Translation & Edition of the Bāhiranidāna of Buddhaghosa’s Samantapāsādikā, the Vinaya Commentary – NA Jayawickrama (1962)
Minor Readings and Illustrator of Ultimate Meaning (Paramatthajotikā) – trans. Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli (1960)
Udāna Commentary (Paramatthaīpani), 2 vols. – trans. Peter Masefield (1994 & 1995)
“Live” List of Pali Commentaries’ English Translations
Vinaya

Vin-a: Samantapasadika Bahiranidana, Inception of Discipline and Vinaya Nidana—N.A. Jayawickrama (Sacred Books of the Buddhists Vol.21) London-1962 (272p).pdf
Vin-a: Vinaya Commentary, Samantapasadika, Shan-Chien-P’i-P’o-Sha, Sanghabhadra’s Chinese Samantapasadika (tr. by Prof. P.V. Bapat and Prof. A. Hirakawa) (652p).pdf

Dīgha Nikāya

DN-a 1: Brahmajāla Sutta, The Discourse All Embracing Net of Views—Bhikkhu Bodhi(OCRed) (372p).pdf
DN-a 2: Sāmaññaphala Sutta and its Commentaries, The Fruits of Recluseship—Bhikkhu Bodhi, BPS-Kandy,2008(1989) (197p).pdf
DN-a 15: Mahānidāna Sutta Commentary, The Great Discourse on Causation—Bhikkhu Bodhi (OCRed) (82p).pdf
DN-a 16: Mahāparinibbāna Sutta Commentary, The Mission Accomplished—Pategama Gnanarama Phd (236p).pdf
DN-a 28: Sampasādanīya Sutta Commentary Sampasādanīyasuttavaṇṇanā—Jnan Nanda for PhD at the University of Hong Kong, 2019 (284p).pdf

Commercial

DN-a 16: Mahāparinibbāna Sutta Commentary, The Buddha’s Last Days—Yan-Gyu An (278p).pdf
https://www.abebooks.com/9780860134053/ ... 134059/plp 4

Majjhima Nikāya

MN-a 1: Mūlapariyāya Sutta Commentary, Discourse on Root of existence—Bhikkhu Bodhi, BPS (OCRed) (106p).pdf
MN-a 1: Mūlapariyāya Sutta Commentary, Discourse on Root of existence—Bhikkhu Bodhi, BPS a (OCRed) (109p).pdf
MN-a 4: The Bhayabheravasuttavaṇṇanā of the Majjhima Nikāya, An annotated translation and study—Sree D.R. Sraman for PhD University Hong Kong, 2018 (323p).pdf
MN-a 9: Sammādhiṭṭhi Sutta with Commentary—Bhikkhu Nyanamoli, Bhikkhu Bodhi (Wheels 377-9) (37p).pdf
MN-t 10: Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta with Commentaries and Sub-Commentaries—Soma Thera (179p).pdf
MN-a 20: Vitakkasaṇṭhāna Sutta Commentary, The Removal of Distracting Thoughts—Soma Thera (17p).pdf
MN-a 33: Mahāgopālaka Sutta Commentary (from Majjhima Nikāya Anthology, The Five Nikāyas—An Anthology) Myanmar Pali-EN Translation 1978 (25p).pdf
MN-t 100: Saṅgārava Sutta Commentaries and Sub-Commentaries (Pali, English, Czech translation by Ashin Saraṇa) version 2017 (94p).pdf
MN-a 118: Ānāpānassati Sutta Commentary, Mindfulness of Breathing—Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli, BPS-2010(1952) (142p).pdf
MN-a 122: Mahāsuññata Sutta Commentary, The Greater Discourse on Voidness—Ñāṇamoli Thera, wheel 087 BPS-1982(1965) (47p).pdf

Khuddakapāṭha

Kp-a: Khuddakapāṭha Commentary, Minor Readings and Illustrator (PTS) (OCRed) (384p).pdf
Kp-a: Khuddakapāṭha Tirokuṭṭa Sutta Commentary (extracted from Khuddaka Nikāya Anthology, The Five Nikāyas) MM Pali-EN 1978 (16p).pdf

Dhammapada

Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary (Buddhist Legends) vol.1—E.W. Burlingame, clickable (270p).pdf
Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary (Buddhist Legends) vol.2—E.W. Burlingame, clickable (385p).pdf
Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary (Buddhist Legends) vol.3—E.W. Burlingame, clickable (375p).pdf
Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary, Buddhist Legends—E.W. Burlingame (scanned) 1 (380p).pdf
Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary, Buddhist Legends—E.W. Burlingame (scanned) 2 (378p).pdf
Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary, Buddhist Legends—E.W. Burlingame (scanned) 3 (424p).pdf
Dhp-a: Dhammapada Stories—Gambiro Bhikkhu (126p).pdf
Dhp-a: Dhammapada, Treasury of Truth—Weragoda Sarada Thero (without pictures) (1250p).pdf

Commercial

Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary—“The Dhammapada”—John Ross Carter and Mahinda Palihawadana
https://www.amazon.com/Dhammapada-John- ... 0195108604 2 (I don’t have this book yet.)

Suttanipāta

Snp-a: Suttanipāta Commentary Paramatthajotikā (only introductions to each sutta’s Commentary)—Burma Pitaka Association, edited by Bhikkhu Pesala (48p).pdf

Commercial

Snp-a: Suttanipāta Commentary, The Suttanipāta – An Ancient Collection of the Buddha’s Discourses Together with Its Commentaries (The Teachings of the Buddha)—Bhikkhu Bodhi (1083p).pdf
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Suttanipata+ ... nb_sb_noss 5

Therīgāthā

Thig-a: Therīgāthā—Canda Therī Commentary (Eng.) (OCRed) (5p).pdf

Udāna

Commercial

Ud-a: Udāna Commentary Paramatthadīpanī—ven. Dhammapala, En tr. P. Masefield Vol.1 (581p).pdf
Translations of Pali texts 13
Ud-a: Udāna Commentary Paramatthadīpanī—ven. Dhammapala, En tr. P. Masefield Vol.2 (611p).pdf

Itivuttaka

Commercial

Iti-a: Itivuttaka Commentary Paramatthadīpanī—En tr. P. Masefield vol 1 (456p).pdf
Iti-a: Itivuttaka Commentary Paramatthadīpanī—En tr. P. Masefield vol 2 (407p).pdf

Vimānavatthu

Commercial

Vv-a: Vimānavatthu Commentary Paramatthadīpanī, Intrinsic Meaning—En tr P Masefield (PTS) (619p).pdf

Petavatthu

Commercial

Pv-a: Petavatthu Commentary Paramatthadīpanī—U Ba Kyaw (Eng) (336p).pdf

Therīgatha

Commercial

Thig-a: Therīgatha Atthakatha Paramatthadīpanī—Acariya Dhammapala, En tr. W. Pruitt (458p).pdf

Jātaka

Ja-a: Jātaka Commentary Jātakaṭṭhakathā, only Nidānakathā, The Story of Gotama Buddha, vol.1—N.A. Jayawickrama (294p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales of the Buddha 1—ven. Kurunegoda Piyatissa, T. Anderson, BuddhaNet (265p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales of the Buddha 2—ven. Kurunegoda Piyatissa, T. Anderson, BuddhaNet (193p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales of the Buddha 3 (only 512, 190, 322, 407) (14p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales Part 1-5—Ken and Visaka Kawasaki (Bodhi Leaves) (63p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales, Selected and Edited with Introduction and Notes—H.T. Francis and E.J. Thomas, Cambridge-96 (530p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātakas—vocabulary and glossary—I.B. Horner (21p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—The Jātaka or Stories of the Buddha’s Former Births (E. B. Cowell) 1 (362p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—The Jātaka or Stories of the Buddha’s Former Births (E. B. Cowell) 2 (346p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—The Jātaka or Stories of the Buddha’s Former Births (E. B. Cowell) 3 (358p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—The Jātaka or Stories of the Buddha’s Former Births (E. B. Cowell) 4 (344p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—The Jātaka or Stories of the Buddha’s Former Births (E. B. Cowell) 5 (312p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—The Jātaka or Stories of the Buddha’s Former Births (E. B. Cowell) 6 (332p).pdf

Apadāna

Apad-a: Apadāna Commentary - U Lu Pe Win (Eng.) (OCRed) (5p).pdf

Commercial

05.13 Apadāna Commentary Visuddhajanavilāsinī—Daya Gunasekara, part 2, 2011 (309p).pdf
I have it. So it exists. However, you need to come to Myanmar and read it from me. Now it is out of stock. Or it is certainly available in Buddhist Cultural Center, 125, Anderson Road, Nedimala, Dehiwala, Sri Lanka.

Buddhavaṃsa

Bv-a: Madhuratthavilāsinī—Commentary on Buddhavamsa (PTS) (OCRed) (510p).pdf

Milindapañha

Mil-a: Milindapañhā Commentary—Jetavana Mingun Sayadaw (review Tony Scott, only an outline) (16p).pdf

Abhidhamma

Ab-t: A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma—Bhikkhu Bodhi (excerpt- introduction) (17p).pdf
Ab-t: Abhidhammatthasaṅgaha—Alexander S. Berger (310p).pdf
Ab-t: Abhidhammatthasaṅgaha (Manual of Abhidhamma)—Nārada Mahā Thera (486p).pdf
Ab-t: Abhidhammatthasaṅgaha, A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma—Bhikkhu Bodhi (OCRed) (425p).pdf

Commercial

Ds-a: Dhammasaṅgaṇī Commentary Aṭṭhasālinī, The Expositor—Pe Maung Tin vol.1,2 PTS (576p).pdf
Kv-a: Kathāvatthu Commentary Kathāvatthuppakaraṇaṭṭhakathā, The Debates Commentary—B.C. Law (261p).pdf

Visuddhimagga

Vism: Visuddhimagga—Samatha Advanced Lv 1—Mehm Tin Mon (154p).pdf
Vism: Visuddhimagga—Samatha Advanced Lv 2—Mehm Tin Mon (176p).pdf
Vism: Visuddhimagga explanation (rewritten from tapes, unknown author) (475p).pdf
Vism: Visuddhimagga, The Path of Purification—Bhikkhu Nanamoli, 2011 (853p).pdf
Vism: Visuddhimagga, The Path of Purity—Maung Tin vol.1, 1923 (107p).pdf
Vism: Visuddhimagga, The Path of Purity—Maung Tin vol.2, 1929 (415p).pdf
Vism-t: Visuddhimagga Ṭīkī—A Study in Paramatthamañjūsā With Special Reference to Paññā—Cha Myang Hee (OCRed) (581p).pdf

Sāsanavaṁsa

07.5.02 Sāsanavaṃsa—The History of the Buddha’s Religion—B. C. Law (200p).pdf

Mahāvaṁsa

Mhvs: Mahāvaṃsa—Tourner (OCRed) (383p).pdf
Mhvs: Mahāvaṃsa Extended (chapters 5, 12-15, 18-20), Asoka and the Missions—Ānandajoti Bhikkhu (86p).pdf
Mhvs: Mahāvaṃsa or the Great Chronicle of Ceylon—Wilhelm Geiger (380p).pdf
Mhvs: Mahāvaṃsa, Extended Mahāvaṃsa 12-14, Asokan Missions—G.P. Malalasekara, Ānandajoti Bhikkhu (40p).pdf

Moggallānabyākaraṇa

07.6.01 Moggallānabyākaraṇa—hand-written notes of ven. Paññādhika (47p).pdf

Kaccāyanabyākaraṇa

07.6.02 Kaccāyanabyākaraṇa—En tr. U Nandisena, 2009 (250p).pdf

Lokanīti

07.7.05 Lokanīti, LawKaNiTeat—TatToe (Myanmar and English, Pali is omitted) (199p).pdf

Thūpavaṁsa

07.9.02 Thūpavaṃsa (Introduction), Emotions and Ethics in Buddhist History The Sinhala Thūpavaṃsa and the Work of Virtue—S.C. Berkwitz (19p).pdf

Commercial

07.9.2 Thūpavaṃsa, The Legend of the Topes—B.C. Law (113p).pdf
https://www.abebooks.com/9788170690009/ ... 690005/plp

Theoretical or Planned

MN-a: Majjhima Nikāya Commentary (apparently only a draft or incomplete version.)

Need

00 Vinaya Piṭaka original Samantapāsādikā (what we have is not strict translation of the Theravāda version)
01 DN 3-14, 17-27, 29-34
02 MN Commentary 2,3, 5-8, 11-19, 21-32, 34-99, 101-117, 119-121,123-152
03 SN Commentary all
04 AN Commentary all
05.08 Theragāthā Commentary
05.11 Niddesa Commentary
05.12. Paṭisambhidāmagga Commentary
05.15 Cariyāpiṭaka Commentary
05.16 Nettippakaraṇa Commentary
05.17 Peṭakopadesa Commentary
06 Vibhaṅga, Dhātukathā, Puggalapaññatti, Yamaka, and Paṭṭhāna Commentaries
07.2 Saṃgāyana Pucchā Vissajjanā
07.3 Leḍī Sayāḍo—Nirutti, Paramattha, Anudīpanī, and Paṭṭhānuddesadīpanī
07.4 Buddhavandanāganthasaṅgaho – Namakkāraṭīkā, Mahāpanāma, Lakkhaṇāto Buddhathomanāgathā, Sutavandanā, Jinālaṅkāra, Kamalāñjali, Pajjamadhu, Buddhaguṇagāthāvalī
07.5.1 Cūḷaganthavaṃsa
07.6 Saddanīti, Padarūpasiddhi, Moggallānapañcikā, Payogasiddhi, Vuttodaya, Abhidhānappadīpikā, Subodhālaṅkāra, Bālāvatāra Gaṇṭhipadatthavinicchayasāra
07.7. Nītiganthasaṅgaho—Kavidappananīti, Nītimanjarī, Dhammanīti, Mahārahanīti, Suttantanīti, Sūrassatinīti, Cāṇakyanīti, Naradakkhadīpanī, Caturārakkhadīpanī
07.8. Pakiṇṇakaganthasaṅgaho—Rasavāhinī, Sīmavisodhanīpāṭha, Vessantaragīti
07.9. Moggallāna Vuttivivaraṇapañcikā, Dāṭhāvaṃsa, Dhātupāṭhavilāsiniyā, Dhātuvaṃsa, Hatthavanagallavihāravaṅsa, Jinacaritaya, Jinavaṃsadīpaṃ, Telakaṭāhagāthā, Milidaṭīkā, Padamañjarī, Padasādhanaṃ, Saddabindupakaraṇaṃ, Kaccāyanadhātumañjūsā, Samantakūṭavaṇṇanā
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Eko Care wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:26 am Here is a list I posted (created by someone else) some months ago in the thread Commentary Review.

English Translations of Pāli Commentaries on Canonical Texts
• Buddhist Legends Translated from the Original Pāli Text of the Dhammapada Commentary, 3 parts – trans. Eugene Watson Burlingame (1921)
• The Clarifier of the Sweet Meaning (Madhuratthavilasini): commentary on the chronicle of Buddhas (Buddhavaṃsa) – trans. I.B. Horner (1978)
• The Commentary on the Itivuttaka, 2 vols. – trans. Peter Masefield (2008-2009)
• The Commentary on the Verses of the Therīs – trans. William Pruitt (1998)
Debates Commentary: Kathāvatthuppakaraṇa-Aṭṭhakathā – trans. B.C. Law (1989)
The Dhammapada: A New Translation with the Pali Text and First English Translation of the Commentary’s Explanation of the Verses with Notes Translated from Sinhala Sources and Critical Textual Comments – trans. John Ross Carter and Mahinda Palihawadana (1987)
The Dispeller of Delusion (Sammohavinodanī), 2 parts – trans. Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli (1996)
• The Expositor (Aṭṭhasālinī): Buddhaghosa’s Commentary on Dhammasaṅgaṇi – trans. Pe Maung Tin (1921)
• Elucidation of the Intrinsic Meaning: so named the commentary on the Peta-stories (Paramatthadīpani nāma Petavatthu-āṭṭhakathā) – trans. Uba Kyaw (1980)
• Elucidation of the Intrinsic Meaning: so named the commentary on the Vimāna stories: Paramatthadīpani nāma Vimānavatthu-aṭṭhakathā – trans. Peter Masefield & N.A. Jayawickrama (2007)
• The Inception of Discipline & the Vinaya Nidāna: Being a Translation & Edition of the Bāhiranidāna of Buddhaghosa’s Samantapāsādikā, the Vinaya Commentary – NA Jayawickrama (1962)
Minor Readings and Illustrator of Ultimate Meaning (Paramatthajotikā) – trans. Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli (1960)
Udāna Commentary (Paramatthaīpani), 2 vols. – trans. Peter Masefield (1994 & 1995)
“Live” List of Pali Commentaries’ English Translations
Vinaya

Vin-a: Samantapasadika Bahiranidana, Inception of Discipline and Vinaya Nidana—N.A. Jayawickrama (Sacred Books of the Buddhists Vol.21) London-1962 (272p).pdf
Vin-a: Vinaya Commentary, Samantapasadika, Shan-Chien-P’i-P’o-Sha, Sanghabhadra’s Chinese Samantapasadika (tr. by Prof. P.V. Bapat and Prof. A. Hirakawa) (652p).pdf

Dīgha Nikāya

DN-a 1: Brahmajāla Sutta, The Discourse All Embracing Net of Views—Bhikkhu Bodhi(OCRed) (372p).pdf
DN-a 2: Sāmaññaphala Sutta and its Commentaries, The Fruits of Recluseship—Bhikkhu Bodhi, BPS-Kandy,2008(1989) (197p).pdf
DN-a 15: Mahānidāna Sutta Commentary, The Great Discourse on Causation—Bhikkhu Bodhi (OCRed) (82p).pdf
DN-a 16: Mahāparinibbāna Sutta Commentary, The Mission Accomplished—Pategama Gnanarama Phd (236p).pdf
DN-a 28: Sampasādanīya Sutta Commentary Sampasādanīyasuttavaṇṇanā—Jnan Nanda for PhD at the University of Hong Kong, 2019 (284p).pdf

Commercial

DN-a 16: Mahāparinibbāna Sutta Commentary, The Buddha’s Last Days—Yan-Gyu An (278p).pdf
https://www.abebooks.com/9780860134053/ ... 134059/plp 4

Majjhima Nikāya

MN-a 1: Mūlapariyāya Sutta Commentary, Discourse on Root of existence—Bhikkhu Bodhi, BPS (OCRed) (106p).pdf
MN-a 1: Mūlapariyāya Sutta Commentary, Discourse on Root of existence—Bhikkhu Bodhi, BPS a (OCRed) (109p).pdf
MN-a 4: The Bhayabheravasuttavaṇṇanā of the Majjhima Nikāya, An annotated translation and study—Sree D.R. Sraman for PhD University Hong Kong, 2018 (323p).pdf
MN-a 9: Sammādhiṭṭhi Sutta with Commentary—Bhikkhu Nyanamoli, Bhikkhu Bodhi (Wheels 377-9) (37p).pdf
MN-t 10: Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta with Commentaries and Sub-Commentaries—Soma Thera (179p).pdf
MN-a 20: Vitakkasaṇṭhāna Sutta Commentary, The Removal of Distracting Thoughts—Soma Thera (17p).pdf
MN-a 33: Mahāgopālaka Sutta Commentary (from Majjhima Nikāya Anthology, The Five Nikāyas—An Anthology) Myanmar Pali-EN Translation 1978 (25p).pdf
MN-t 100: Saṅgārava Sutta Commentaries and Sub-Commentaries (Pali, English, Czech translation by Ashin Saraṇa) version 2017 (94p).pdf
MN-a 118: Ānāpānassati Sutta Commentary, Mindfulness of Breathing—Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli, BPS-2010(1952) (142p).pdf
MN-a 122: Mahāsuññata Sutta Commentary, The Greater Discourse on Voidness—Ñāṇamoli Thera, wheel 087 BPS-1982(1965) (47p).pdf

Khuddakapāṭha

Kp-a: Khuddakapāṭha Commentary, Minor Readings and Illustrator (PTS) (OCRed) (384p).pdf
Kp-a: Khuddakapāṭha Tirokuṭṭa Sutta Commentary (extracted from Khuddaka Nikāya Anthology, The Five Nikāyas) MM Pali-EN 1978 (16p).pdf

Dhammapada

Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary (Buddhist Legends) vol.1—E.W. Burlingame, clickable (270p).pdf
Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary (Buddhist Legends) vol.2—E.W. Burlingame, clickable (385p).pdf
Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary (Buddhist Legends) vol.3—E.W. Burlingame, clickable (375p).pdf
Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary, Buddhist Legends—E.W. Burlingame (scanned) 1 (380p).pdf
Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary, Buddhist Legends—E.W. Burlingame (scanned) 2 (378p).pdf
Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary, Buddhist Legends—E.W. Burlingame (scanned) 3 (424p).pdf
Dhp-a: Dhammapada Stories—Gambiro Bhikkhu (126p).pdf
Dhp-a: Dhammapada, Treasury of Truth—Weragoda Sarada Thero (without pictures) (1250p).pdf

Commercial

Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary—“The Dhammapada”—John Ross Carter and Mahinda Palihawadana
https://www.amazon.com/Dhammapada-John- ... 0195108604 2 (I don’t have this book yet.)

Suttanipāta

Snp-a: Suttanipāta Commentary Paramatthajotikā (only introductions to each sutta’s Commentary)—Burma Pitaka Association, edited by Bhikkhu Pesala (48p).pdf

Commercial

Snp-a: Suttanipāta Commentary, The Suttanipāta – An Ancient Collection of the Buddha’s Discourses Together with Its Commentaries (The Teachings of the Buddha)—Bhikkhu Bodhi (1083p).pdf
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Suttanipata+ ... nb_sb_noss 5

Therīgāthā

Thig-a: Therīgāthā—Canda Therī Commentary (Eng.) (OCRed) (5p).pdf

Udāna

Commercial

Ud-a: Udāna Commentary Paramatthadīpanī—ven. Dhammapala, En tr. P. Masefield Vol.1 (581p).pdf
Ud-a: Udāna Commentary Paramatthadīpanī—ven. Dhammapala, En tr. P. Masefield Vol.2 (611p).pdf

Itivuttaka

Commercial

Iti-a: Itivuttaka Commentary Paramatthadīpanī—En tr. P. Masefield vol 1 (456p).pdf
Iti-a: Itivuttaka Commentary Paramatthadīpanī—En tr. P. Masefield vol 2 (407p).pdf

Vimānavatthu

Commercial

Vv-a: Vimānavatthu Commentary Paramatthadīpanī, Intrinsic Meaning—En tr P Masefield (PTS) (619p).pdf

Petavatthu

Commercial

Pv-a: Petavatthu Commentary Paramatthadīpanī—U Ba Kyaw (Eng) (336p).pdf

Therīgatha

Commercial

Thig-a: Therīgatha Atthakatha Paramatthadīpanī—Acariya Dhammapala, En tr. W. Pruitt (458p).pdf

Jātaka

Ja-a: Jātaka Commentary Jātakaṭṭhakathā, only Nidānakathā, The Story of Gotama Buddha, vol.1—N.A. Jayawickrama (294p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales of the Buddha 1—ven. Kurunegoda Piyatissa, T. Anderson, BuddhaNet (265p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales of the Buddha 2—ven. Kurunegoda Piyatissa, T. Anderson, BuddhaNet (193p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales of the Buddha 3 (only 512, 190, 322, 407) (14p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales Part 1-5—Ken and Visaka Kawasaki (Bodhi Leaves) (63p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales, Selected and Edited with Introduction and Notes—H.T. Francis and E.J. Thomas, Cambridge-96 (530p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātakas—vocabulary and glossary—I.B. Horner (21p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—The Jātaka or Stories of the Buddha’s Former Births (E. B. Cowell) 1 (362p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—The Jātaka or Stories of the Buddha’s Former Births (E. B. Cowell) 2 (346p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—The Jātaka or Stories of the Buddha’s Former Births (E. B. Cowell) 3 (358p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—The Jātaka or Stories of the Buddha’s Former Births (E. B. Cowell) 4 (344p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—The Jātaka or Stories of the Buddha’s Former Births (E. B. Cowell) 5 (312p).pdf
Ja-a: Jātakas—The Jātaka or Stories of the Buddha’s Former Births (E. B. Cowell) 6 (332p).pdf

Apadāna

Apad-a: Apadāna Commentary - U Lu Pe Win (Eng.) (OCRed) (5p).pdf

Commercial

05.13 Apadāna Commentary Visuddhajanavilāsinī—Daya Gunasekara, part 2, 2011 (309p).pdf
I have it. So it exists. However, you need to come to Myanmar and read it from me. Now it is out of stock. Or it is certainly available in Buddhist Cultural Center, 125, Anderson Road, Nedimala, Dehiwala, Sri Lanka.

Buddhavaṃsa

Bv-a: Madhuratthavilāsinī—Commentary on Buddhavamsa (PTS) (OCRed) (510p).pdf

Milindapañha

Mil-a: Milindapañhā Commentary—Jetavana Mingun Sayadaw (review Tony Scott, only an outline) (16p).pdf

Abhidhamma

Ab-t: A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma—Bhikkhu Bodhi (excerpt- introduction) (17p).pdf
Ab-t: Abhidhammatthasaṅgaha—Alexander S. Berger (310p).pdf
Ab-t: Abhidhammatthasaṅgaha (Manual of Abhidhamma)—Nārada Mahā Thera (486p).pdf
Ab-t: Abhidhammatthasaṅgaha, A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma—Bhikkhu Bodhi (OCRed) (425p).pdf

Commercial

Ds-a: Dhammasaṅgaṇī Commentary Aṭṭhasālinī, The Expositor—Pe Maung Tin vol.1,2 PTS (576p).pdf
Kv-a: Kathāvatthu Commentary Kathāvatthuppakaraṇaṭṭhakathā, The Debates Commentary—B.C. Law (261p).pdf

Visuddhimagga

Vism: Visuddhimagga—Samatha Advanced Lv 1—Mehm Tin Mon (154p).pdf
Vism: Visuddhimagga—Samatha Advanced Lv 2—Mehm Tin Mon (176p).pdf
Vism: Visuddhimagga explanation (rewritten from tapes, unknown author) (475p).pdf
Vism: Visuddhimagga, The Path of Purification—Bhikkhu Nanamoli, 2011 (853p).pdf
Vism: Visuddhimagga, The Path of Purity—Maung Tin vol.1, 1923 (107p).pdf
Vism: Visuddhimagga, The Path of Purity—Maung Tin vol.2, 1929 (415p).pdf
Vism-t: Visuddhimagga Ṭīkī—A Study in Paramatthamañjūsā With Special Reference to Paññā—Cha Myang Hee (OCRed) (581p).pdf

Sāsanavaṁsa

07.5.02 Sāsanavaṃsa—The History of the Buddha’s Religion—B. C. Law (200p).pdf

Mahāvaṁsa

Mhvs: Mahāvaṃsa—Tourner (OCRed) (383p).pdf
Mhvs: Mahāvaṃsa Extended (chapters 5, 12-15, 18-20), Asoka and the Missions—Ānandajoti Bhikkhu (86p).pdf
Mhvs: Mahāvaṃsa or the Great Chronicle of Ceylon—Wilhelm Geiger (380p).pdf
Mhvs: Mahāvaṃsa, Extended Mahāvaṃsa 12-14, Asokan Missions—G.P. Malalasekara, Ānandajoti Bhikkhu (40p).pdf

Moggallānabyākaraṇa

07.6.01 Moggallānabyākaraṇa—hand-written notes of ven. Paññādhika (47p).pdf

Kaccāyanabyākaraṇa

07.6.02 Kaccāyanabyākaraṇa—En tr. U Nandisena, 2009 (250p).pdf

Lokanīti

07.7.05 Lokanīti, LawKaNiTeat—TatToe (Myanmar and English, Pali is omitted) (199p).pdf

Thūpavaṁsa

07.9.02 Thūpavaṃsa (Introduction), Emotions and Ethics in Buddhist History The Sinhala Thūpavaṃsa and the Work of Virtue—S.C. Berkwitz (19p).pdf

Commercial

07.9.2 Thūpavaṃsa, The Legend of the Topes—B.C. Law (113p).pdf
https://www.abebooks.com/9788170690009/ ... 690005/plp

Theoretical or Planned

MN-a: Majjhima Nikāya Commentary (apparently only a draft or incomplete version.)

Need

00 Vinaya Piṭaka original Samantapāsādikā (what we have is not strict translation of the Theravāda version)
01 DN 3-14, 17-27, 29-34
02 MN Commentary 2,3, 5-8, 11-19, 21-32, 34-99, 101-117, 119-121,123-152
03 SN Commentary all
04 AN Commentary all
05.08 Theragāthā Commentary
05.11 Niddesa Commentary
05.12. Paṭisambhidāmagga Commentary
05.15 Cariyāpiṭaka Commentary
05.16 Nettippakaraṇa Commentary
05.17 Peṭakopadesa Commentary
06 Vibhaṅga, Dhātukathā, Puggalapaññatti, Yamaka, and Paṭṭhāna Commentaries
07.2 Saṃgāyana Pucchā Vissajjanā
07.3 Leḍī Sayāḍo—Nirutti, Paramattha, Anudīpanī, and Paṭṭhānuddesadīpanī
07.4 Buddhavandanāganthasaṅgaho – Namakkāraṭīkā, Mahāpanāma, Lakkhaṇāto Buddhathomanāgathā, Sutavandanā, Jinālaṅkāra, Kamalāñjali, Pajjamadhu, Buddhaguṇagāthāvalī
07.5.1 Cūḷaganthavaṃsa
07.6 Saddanīti, Padarūpasiddhi, Moggallānapañcikā, Payogasiddhi, Vuttodaya, Abhidhānappadīpikā, Subodhālaṅkāra, Bālāvatāra Gaṇṭhipadatthavinicchayasāra
07.7. Nītiganthasaṅgaho—Kavidappananīti, Nītimanjarī, Dhammanīti, Mahārahanīti, Suttantanīti, Sūrassatinīti, Cāṇakyanīti, Naradakkhadīpanī, Caturārakkhadīpanī
07.8. Pakiṇṇakaganthasaṅgaho—Rasavāhinī, Sīmavisodhanīpāṭha, Vessantaragīti
07.9. Moggallāna Vuttivivaraṇapañcikā, Dāṭhāvaṃsa, Dhātupāṭhavilāsiniyā, Dhātuvaṃsa, Hatthavanagallavihāravaṅsa, Jinacaritaya, Jinavaṃsadīpaṃ, Telakaṭāhagāthā, Milidaṭīkā, Padamañjarī, Padasādhanaṃ, Saddabindupakaraṇaṃ, Kaccāyanadhātumañjūsā, Samantakūṭavaṇṇanā
:goodpost:

I hope more people read Atthakatha books, in that way, less fake Dhamma, less Adhamma and less Papanca......
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.