Buddha quotes site

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
Post Reply
User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2179
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: California

Buddha quotes site

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This is a pretty new site that is well intended. How purely Theravada I do not know:

https://wordsofwisdomquotes.com/
Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 7426
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Buddha quotes site

Post by Aloka »

There's also a "Fake Buddha Quotes" website which is worth checking out because fake quotes are everywhere! :

https://fakebuddhaquotes.com/about/


:anjali:
User avatar
bodom
Posts: 6674
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Buddha quotes site

Post by bodom »

Aloka wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:39 pm There's also a "Fake Buddha Quotes" website which is worth checking out because fake quotes are everywhere! :

https://fakebuddhaquotes.com/about/


:anjali:
Yep from just a quick view of the linked website I can see that it is completely full of fake Buddha quotes.

:anjali:
This is our foundation: to have sati, recollection, and sampajañña, self-awareness, whether standing, walking, sitting, or reclining. Whatever arises, just leave it be, don’t cling to it. Whether it’s like or dislike, happiness or suffering, doubt or certainty... Don’t try to label everything, just know it. See that all the things that arise in the mind are simply sensations. They are transient. They arise, exist and cease. That’s all there is to them, they have no self or being, they are neither ‘us’ nor ‘them’. None of them are worthy of clinging to.

- Ajahn Chah
User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2179
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: California

Re: Buddha quotes site

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Fake, schmake! Cannot recall the sutta passage but somewhere Buddha gave some general facets of the Dhamma diamond and they had more to do with the content, not the source.

If someone like Charlie Chucklehead said & taught:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one’s mind—this is the best way to live.


Would it be Fake advice to be ignored, even if Mr Chucklehead claimed originality?
Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 7426
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Buddha quotes site

Post by Aloka »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:45 pm Fake, schmake! Cannot recall the sutta passage but somewhere Buddha gave some general facets of the Dhamma diamond and they had more to do with the content, not the source.

If someone like Charlie Chucklehead said & taught:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one’s mind—this is the best way to live.


Would it be Fake advice to be ignored, even if Mr Chucklehead claimed originality?
What's the point in reading fake Buddha quotes on the internet? Its a time waster if they weren't actually spoken by the Buddha .

:shrug:
User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2179
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: California

Re: Buddha quotes site

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Aloka wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:50 am
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:45 pm Fake, schmake! Cannot recall the sutta passage but somewhere Buddha gave some general facets of the Dhamma diamond and they had more to do with the content, not the source.

If someone like Charlie Chucklehead said & taught:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one’s mind—this is the best way to live.


Would it be Fake advice to be ignored, even if Mr Chucklehead claimed originality?
What's the point in reading fake Buddha quotes on the internet? Its a time waster if they weren't actually spoken by the Buddha .

:shrug:
Truth is where you find it. If this site gives good paraphrases of Buddha's ideas or language, that is good. Any teaching that is or points toward the Dharma is meritorious and not a time waster; especially for those who know zero about the Dharma.
Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 7426
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Buddha quotes site

Post by Aloka »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:23 am
Aloka wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:50 am
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:45 pm Fake, schmake! Cannot recall the sutta passage but somewhere Buddha gave some general facets of the Dhamma diamond and they had more to do with the content, not the source.

If someone like Charlie Chucklehead said & taught:



Would it be Fake advice to be ignored, even if Mr Chucklehead claimed originality?
What's the point in reading fake Buddha quotes on the internet? Its a time waster if they weren't actually spoken by the Buddha .

:shrug:
Truth is where you find it. If this site gives good paraphrases of Buddha's ideas or language, that is good. Any teaching that is or points toward the Dharma is meritorious and not a time waster; especially for those who know zero about the Dharma.
Nonsense, a website full of fake Buddha quotes is of no benefit to anyone and especially not to newcomers to the Dhamma!

:anjali:
User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 8298
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Buddha quotes site

Post by Sam Vara »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:23 am
Truth is where you find it. If this site gives good paraphrases of Buddha's ideas or language, that is good. Any teaching that is or points toward the Dharma is meritorious and not a time waster; especially for those who know zero about the Dharma.
It might in some ways be useful, in that living your life according to the paraphrases or interpretations of the Buddha's words would be better than not doing so. But I don't see the value of doing so if there is the alternative of the real Buddhavacana. And there is also the point that the Buddha placed great value on correct speech, and correctly representing his teachings as faithfully as possible. I could find more exact and literal teachings for each of the quotes on here, so why bother with them? If the site claims the Buddha said he uttered them, then they are wrong speech.
User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 5580
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Buddha quotes site

Post by Kim OHara »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:00 am
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:23 am
Truth is where you find it. If this site gives good paraphrases of Buddha's ideas or language, that is good. Any teaching that is or points toward the Dharma is meritorious and not a time waster; especially for those who know zero about the Dharma.
It might in some ways be useful, in that living your life according to the paraphrases or interpretations of the Buddha's words would be better than not doing so. But I don't see the value of doing so if there is the alternative of the real Buddhavacana. And there is also the point that the Buddha placed great value on correct speech, and correctly representing his teachings as faithfully as possible. I could find more exact and literal teachings for each of the quotes on here, so why bother with them? If the site claims the Buddha said he uttered them, then they are wrong speech.
Well said.
And it means there's absolutely no reason for any of us here to share or promote the site which is the subject of the OP ... :thinking: ... unless we happen to know someone who will only be interested if there are pretty pictures and really short texts, I suppose. I don't know any genuine Buddha quotes site that presents the quotes in this way. Do any of you?

:coffee:
Kim
User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 8298
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Buddha quotes site

Post by Sam Vara »

Kim OHara wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:25 am
Sam Vara wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:00 am
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:23 am
Truth is where you find it. If this site gives good paraphrases of Buddha's ideas or language, that is good. Any teaching that is or points toward the Dharma is meritorious and not a time waster; especially for those who know zero about the Dharma.
It might in some ways be useful, in that living your life according to the paraphrases or interpretations of the Buddha's words would be better than not doing so. But I don't see the value of doing so if there is the alternative of the real Buddhavacana. And there is also the point that the Buddha placed great value on correct speech, and correctly representing his teachings as faithfully as possible. I could find more exact and literal teachings for each of the quotes on here, so why bother with them? If the site claims the Buddha said he uttered them, then they are wrong speech.
Well said.
And it means there's absolutely no reason for any of us here to share or promote the site which is the subject of the OP ... :thinking: ... unless we happen to know someone who will only be interested if there are pretty pictures and really short texts, I suppose. I don't know any genuine Buddha quotes site that presents the quotes in this way. Do any of you?

:coffee:
Kim
Even if there were, I think it would be a bit misleading. Short quotes might be inspirational and are easily memorised (the Dhammapada is full of them) but a serious practitioner would miss out on how the Buddha's teaching has an essential unity; how the different bits link up. But again, better than nothing.
User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2179
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Location: California

Re: Buddha quotes site

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

One of the sutta passages that I forgot is this one from AN 8:53:
But, Gotamī, those things of which
you might know: ‘These things lead (1) to dispassion, not to passion;
(2) to detachment, not to bondage; (3) to dismantling, not
to building up; (4) to fewness of desires, not to strong desires;
(5) to contentment, not to non-contentment; (6) to solitude, not
to company; (7) to the arousing of energy, not to laziness;
(8) to being easy to support, not to being difficult to support,’
you should definitely recognize: ‘This is the Dhamma; this is
the discipline; this is the teaching of the Teacher.’”
That last line says, IMHO, that whenever such qualities are encouraged & by whoever, they are to be recognized as from Buddha, even if not directly & purely.

Another one suggesting five primal qualities the are or will lead toward the Dhamma is this passage in AN 8:39:
“There are, bhikkhus, these five gifts, great gifts, primal, of
long standing, traditional, ancient, unadulterated and never
before adulterated, which are not being adulterated and will
not be adulterated, not repudiated by wise ascetics and brahmins.
These five, no killing, no stealing, no sexual misconduct etc. are found in non-Dharmic paths, yet Buddha says they are not to be repudiated.

The website above is not a pristine source, but in these times, helpful virtuous advice is rare.
Dhamma is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha
User avatar
Ceisiwr
Posts: 12761
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am

Re: Buddha quotes site

Post by Ceisiwr »

That page is appalling.
“The mental and material are really here,
But here there is no human being to be found,
For it is void and merely fashioned like a doll—
Just suffering piled up like grass and sticks.”


Visuddhimagga
Post Reply