I need help with remembering...

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
Tue Luu

I need help with remembering...

Post by Tue Luu »

Namo Buddhaya 🙏

I hope you are all doing well, and I wish you a joyful new year.

I am new to this forum and I am excited to explore the discussions that this community has shared with one another! 😊

My question today has been on my mind for a few months now.

I recall sometime last time year, I read an excerpt of a sutra or commentary somewhere that described the Buddha saying how we shouldn't do or push other to do things we/they don't want to do, whether it is chanting, doing chores, serving someone senior to you etc.
It may have also mentioned not to dedicate ourselves to being like others, such as focusing on improving how well we chant so we can be/practice like someone we admire.

Could you please help me find the correct sutras that mention this subject?

I know this can be interpreted in contrast to the practice of mindfulness and compassion as a service to others, but let us discuss that some other time.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Kindly,

Tuệ Lưu
Upasaka
Truc Lam Monastery

simsapa

Re: I need help with remembering...

Post by simsapa »

Thanks for your question. This is not a Mahayana forum. It will not be the best place to get information on the Agamas / sutras. You should ask a respected member of your community for advice on this topic.
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

simsapa wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:49 am Thanks for your question. This is not a Mahayana forum. It will not be the best place to get information on the Agamas / sutras. You should ask a respected member of your community for advice on this topic.
With respect, I don't see why persons of other traditions can't come here and ask questions about the Suttas .. Many Mahayana followers also respect the Pali Canon as a definitive source of reliable information.
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

My understanding is that the questioner is referring to a Mahayana text not available in the Pali, but rather in the Canon available in Vietnamese. Or it's a practice commentary. If it is in the Pali, then this is a fine place to ask about it.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Tue Luu wrote:I recall sometime last time year, I read an excerpt of a sutra or commentary somewhere that described the Buddha saying how we shouldn't do or push other to do things we/they don't want to do, whether it is chanting, doing chores, serving someone senior to you etc.
It may have also mentioned not to dedicate ourselves to being like others, such as focusing on improving how well we chant so we can be/practice like someone we admire.
It seems to be a bit too generic to employ any simple fixed approach, for the context of the situation will dictate the appropriate and correct action to take. For example, if one's fellow practitioner doesn't want to do wholesome things like observing the precepts, cultivating samadhi and panna, etc. then one should obviously need to, not necessary "pushing", but definitely encourage him to do those things. On the other hand, if the fellow practitioner wants to do things that are unwholesome like indulging in sensual pleasures, in gossips, in slacking off, etc. then s/he should absolutely NOT be egged on. Basically practitioners should carry out their training in accordance with the spirit of the Four Right Exertions
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Maybe dhammapada 50
Verse 50: One should not consider the faults of others, nor their doing or not doing good or bad deeds. One should consider only whether one has done or not done good or bad deeds.
zerotime

Post by zerotime »

Tue Luu wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:20 am Could you please help me find the correct sutras that mention this subject?

I know this can be interpreted in contrast to the practice of mindfulness and compassion as a service to others, but let us discuss that some other time.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?
maybe you are talking on coercion, forcing other's will. Read in example the section "Protection of Others" here:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... bl034.html

"He who is patient and forbearing will avoid conflicts and quarrels, and will make friends of those for whom he has shown a patient understanding. He who does not resort to force or coercion will, under normal conditions, rarely become an object of violence himself as he provokes no violence from others.
[...]
true self-protection is possible only if it does not conflict with the protection of others; for one who seeks self-protection at the expense of others will defile as well as endanger himself. On the other hand, protection of others must not conflict with the four principles of patience, non-violence, loving-kindness and compassion; it also must not interfere with their free spiritual development as it does in the case of various totalitarian doctrines. Thus in the Buddhist conception of self-protection all selfishness is excluded, and in the protection of others violence and interference have no place."
- Nyanaponika Thera

an interesting reading in these times

hope it helps