Ajahn Sona Talks To Ven Pamutto

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
No_Mind

Ajahn Sona Talks To Ven Pamutto

Post by No_Mind »

Ven. Pamutto tells about his experience of being a dhutanga monk in sub-zero weather of the American North.Very inspiring.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Alīno

Re: Ajahn Sona Talks To Ven Pamutto

Post by Alīno »

Very inspiring and show that dhutanga is possible is West ! :anjali:

But... It seems like Ven. Pamutto is now a lay person... It's what I heard about him. :thinking:
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

:cry:

"to focus on health and relationship"

Sad to see a monk go away, especially for an extremely able person like him.

However, hopefully, at least he is still spreading the dhamma, imo.
https://www.greatfallsyoga.com/tahn-pamutto
Upasaka Pamutto is a dedicated meditator and teacher of Buddhist philosophy. ‘Tahn’ ordained in 2010 in the austere ‘Forest Tradition’ of Theravada Buddhism, and lived for 10 years as a mendicant monk studying and practicing full time. He came to Massachusetts in 2015 and lived for three years as a wandering monk. In 2018, Pamutto disrobed from the monastic lifestyle to focus on health and relationship. He now lives and teaches in the area, with a focus in applying mindfulness teachings to the body and integrating spiritual practices with daily life.
:heart:

==============================
==============================
ps:
As a wandering monk, according to the video in OP and info on greatfallsyoga site, my conspiracy theory is, he might be very well prepared against extreme hardships, but not relationships.
Free Meditation Series with Ven. Tahn Pamutto
Sunday, May 27, 2018
7:00 PM 8:15 PM
Great Falls Yoga is honored to host Ven. Tahn Pamutto, for a May meditation series. A 30 minute sit will be followed by a Dharma talk with opportunities for for Q&A. Attend any or all Sundays. You are welcome to stay just for the meditation or for the entire class.
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

This is sad news.
I have seen this video and posted it in this from some time back.
Perhaps he pushed too hard!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Alīno wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:27 pm Very inspiring and show that dhutanga is possible is West ! :anjali:

But... It seems like Ven. Pamutto is now a lay person... It's what I heard about him. :thinking:
I can't believe he disrobed. :computerproblem:
He seemed so confident...
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
BlackMagic

Post by BlackMagic »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:58 pm
Alīno wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:27 pm Very inspiring and show that dhutanga is possible is West ! :anjali:

I can't believe he disrobed. :computerproblem:
He seemed so confident...
There's a huge pull for Theravadins to go over to Maha as a vehicle... sort of like come be a big calm stone that can't be raked around in a rock garden to help ease the chaos of so many traditions and so many families colliding simultaneously.

Military means one is government property for life... it is best for such people that have chose that as a livelihood to choose a female saint or "satta" to help ferry from shore to shore and keep the seas calm. Physical wars are not even a drop in the pond on the scale of time in relation to the mental wars... Hearing third or fourth generation hate that has no basis or root other than familial gossip of those that should have left it where it was fought.

When one goes somewhere and learns a skill; it is best to return and put it to work... not teach everyone the skill gossip about the skill, as then there goes one's lively-hood right out of their mouths instead of keeping it in heart and mind as work is being performed, that others discover; find useful needful and worthwhile...

It is the purpose of the journey; not only to find a master but to find a master who's vocation resonates with your path of service. Then of course when the master sees fit, and the torch is to be passed, best to ask the master: How will I recognise you on your return? Such a thing is simply a good guest/host relationship that actually builds instead of continually burns. Nothing worse than returning to one's house only to find it has been ran like a brothel.
What has happened; Is that which has yet to come. What will be ...Already is.