Determination in seeking out the truth

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
Mr. Seek

Determination in seeking out the truth

Post by Mr. Seek »

Hey, I want to share with you a very short excerpt from a story that I came across before a couple of months. It's from Gandhari fragments. Really hit close to home for me. Thought you'd find it inspiring, especially if you're the seeker type. Again, it's very short, pretty much one or two lines (the story itself is incomplete, with a lot of words missing). I'll try to retell it somehow:

Zadamitra went from village to village, from city to city, seeking the true Dhamma.
He came across this monk, who when asked, told him: "The true Dhamma has disappeared".
In response, Zadamitra determined: "If the true Dhamma has disappeared, then I will attain solitary enlightenment".

The sheer might of such a statement. Now that is a seeker who will find what he's looking for. He searched for the original Dhamma, came to the conclusion that it has been lost, but even then didn't give up: instead, he made up his mind that if he cannot become an arahant under the teaching of someone else, then he will strive for private buddhahood.

Take up this call for seeking. Remember that you're not here to be a good Buddhist boy or girl; you're here to seek, that was likely your original determination. If you haven't found what you're looking for, then intensify your efforts. You are a seeker before all else. Seek what makes you truly content. Seek until there is no more need to seek.
SarathW

Re: Determination in seeking out the truth

Post by SarathW »

Dhamma true or false can not be disappeared.
This is why Pcceka Buddhas appearing in the world.
Only true teaching can be disappeared to be re-discovered.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

The story points to a low likelihood of success. Fortunately, the True Dhamma is not lost. Its explained very clearly in the Pali suttas.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

DooDoot wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:35 am The story points to a low likelihood of success. Fortunately, the True Dhamma is not lost. Its explained very clearly in the Pali suttas.
Yep. Regarding 'disappear', I understand it as 'the teachings about it have disappeared'. Definitely a low likelihood of success, but nonetheless very deterministic and optimistic to seek private buddhahood. :D
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Mr. Seek wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:29 am seek private buddhahood. :D
sounds easy when the teachings are around, which include teachings about private buddhahood

but imagine there are actually no teachings and no Buddhism, like if you lived in Judea during the 8th century BC and were stoned to death for abandoning Yahweh?
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

DooDoot wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:46 am
Mr. Seek wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:29 am seek private buddhahood. :D
sounds easy when the teachings are around, which include teachings about private buddhahood

but imagine there are actually no teachings and no Buddhism, like if you lived in Judea during the 8th century BC and were stoned to death for abandoning Yahweh?
same thing can happen if born in Middle East and rejecting their god if born in those kind of families.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Mr. Seek wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:33 pm you're here to seek, that was likely your original determination.
:roll:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Mr. Seek wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:33 pm Zadamitra went from village to village, from city to city, seeking the true Dhamma.
He came across this monk, who when asked, told him: "The true Dhamma has disappeared".
In response, Zadamitra determined: "If the true Dhamma has disappeared, then I will attain solitary enlightenment".
Seems to be a wise narrative.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
BlackMagic

Post by BlackMagic »

The Ox herding pictures strikes again...

That thing is the Brahmacari/Bramacara

The most useful thing out of Buddhaghosa in the Visuddhimagga is "Not god or Bramha can be said to be the maker of all of this." When repeating the bidja Ah? You go Ah too not just Buddha.

That "manual" is for anagamins to renounce ...as it is a manual of black magic and sorcery not the path to liberation.
What has happened; Is that which has yet to come. What will be ...Already is.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

I find the determination in the story of the OP a determination we all must have. :candle:
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
JohnSo

Post by JohnSo »

The Seeker found nothing.

Metta