We are all mentally ill

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
rhinoceroshorn

We are all mentally ill

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Aṅguttara Nikāya 4.157 wrote:"Mendicants, there are two kinds of illness. What two? Mental and physical. Some sentient beings are seen who can claim to be free of physical illness for a year, or two, or three years … even up to a hundred years or more. But it’s very hard to find any sentient beings in the world who can claim to be free of mental illness even for a moment, apart from those who have ended the defilements."

Let's not be too hard on others or ourselves. Let's pardon everyone for their/our neurosis. :anjali:
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
confusedlayman

Re: We are all mentally ill

Post by confusedlayman »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:26 pm
Aṅguttara Nikāya 4.157 wrote:"Mendicants, there are two kinds of illness. What two? Mental and physical. Some sentient beings are seen who can claim to be free of physical illness for a year, or two, or three years … even up to a hundred years or more. But it’s very hard to find any sentient beings in the world who can claim to be free of mental illness even for a moment, apart from those who have ended the defilements."

Let's not be too hard on others or ourselves. Let's pardon everyone for their/our neurosis. :anjali:
for buddhist if they attack me in mind, body or voice they get instant automatic forgiveness whether I acknowedge or not, if they ask me or not.. in other words I dont forgive any buddhist as I dont have revenge things because we all will have defilements till we are arhats
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
santa100

Post by santa100 »

rhinoceroshorn wrote:We are all mentally ill.
Actually that's not too too bad. There's worse news, we are all lepers!
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:39 pm

for buddhist if they attack me in mind, body or voice they get instant automatic forgiveness whether I acknowedge or not, if they ask me or not.. in other words I dont forgive any buddhist as I dont have revenge things because we all will have defilements till we are arhats
Forgiveness is good and should be always cultivated. :anjali:
Forgiveness is about recognizing we are deluded and don't know enough how to be happy.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Aṅguttara Nikāya 4.157 wrote:"Mendicants, there are two kinds of illness. What two? Mental and physical.
Comment:
Coming into this hospital has inspired me to think of a feature of the commentaries, namely that of calling the Buddha the "Spiritual Doctor". Following the meaning of some of the Buddha's teachings and their subsequent explanation in the commentaries, there arose a principle that recognized two kinds of disease - physical disease and mental disease. In the texts, the term "mental disease" is used, but there it does not have the same meaning that it does today. In the time of the Buddha, "mental disease" referred to an illness of view or desire. These days, however, it refers to ordinary mental ailments that have their base in the body and are mixed up with physical disease. To prevent this hindering our understanding of the term illness of the spirit, I would like to establish a third term. Let us consider physical and mental diseases as both being physical, and use the term "spiritual disease" as an equivalent of the term "mental disease" used in the Buddha's time.

The words "spiritual" and "mental" have widely divergent meanings. "Mental" refers to the mental factors that are connected to and associated with the body. If we suffer from mental illnesses, we go to a psychiatric hospital or an asylum not – it’s not a spiritual matter. The word "spirit" here doesn't mean spirit in the sense of a ghost or a being that takes possession of people or anything like that, but it refers to the subtle aspects of the mind that are ill through the power of defilement, in particular through ignorance or wrong view. The mind composed of ignorance or wrong view suffers from the "spiritual disease"; it sees falsely. Seeing falsely causes it to think falsely, speak falsely, and act falsely, and the disease lies right there in the false thought, false speech, and false action.

You will see immediately that everyone, without exception, has the spiritual disease. As for physical and mental diseases, they only occur in some people at some times. They are not so terrible. They don't give people the constant suffering with every inhalation and exhalation that spiritual disease does. Thus, physical and mental diseases are not dealt with by the Buddhist Teachings, which are the cure for the "spiritual disease", or with the Buddha. who is the "Doctor of the Spirit". Thus there remains only that which the commentators called "mental disease" and which we have decided to call "spiritual disease".

https://www.dhammatalks.net/Books/Bhikk ... o_Tree.htm
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

The Dhamma is for everyone and Enlightenment will free one from a hurt mind, allowing the freely flowing and healing waters of the Stream of Nirvana to wash over all the pain. Buddhism is the Way. Even in cooking, it's best to have a Buddhist cook who cares about you Dhammically in the process. Open your mind to the realization that it is expanded, and the Saha world is full of suffering. Don't let them haul you off to a concentration camp full of lies, but turn to Buddhism.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

yes and we don't even see the full extent of it
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:26 pm Let's not be too hard on others or ourselves. Let's pardon everyone for their/our neurosis.
Sounds like Christianity - we are all sinners but Jesus forgives us. :spy:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:23 am
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:26 pm Let's not be too hard on others or ourselves. Let's pardon everyone for their/our neurosis.
I forgive you :heart: .

-Dhammapada.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

There was this Buddhist quote that said something like "To forgive everything, is to understand everything" and it was attributed to the Buddha once saying it, I find that interesting.

-Dhammapada.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Mahabrahma wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:25 am I forgive you
For what, by what, upon what?

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Mahabrahma wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:25 am
DooDoot wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:23 am
I forgive you :heart: .
:console:
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:45 am
Mahabrahma wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:25 am I forgive you
For what, by what, upon what?
For anything you felt you haven't forgiven yourself for. However I gather at this point in the Spiritual Journey of yours, I gather you don't need forgiving in the eyes of the Dhamma, you are free and liberated! Upon Buddha's face. :candle:

-Dhammapada.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

Yutthadammo Bikkhu talks about how we are all mentally ill to some degree.

So then, for all of those who are mentally ill by the world's standards: know that we are all mentally ill before enlightenment.

As long as we fail to see clearly, the mental illness will continue. Mental illness = suffering

:anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha