How to arise samvega in approximately 1 second.

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
rhinoceroshorn

How to arise samvega in approximately 1 second.

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Some years later...

This is cliche but useful.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Re: How to arise samvega in approximately 1 second.

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Another one.

wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Wow, this is strong.
I need to arise samvega in myself everyday. I enjoy my youth and the only dukkhas I occasionally face are sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair. Death and old age are the dukkhest of those and I forget about them!! I need to remember myself about them EVERYDAY!!!
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:04 pm Another one.

Lust didn't even arise when I looked at the first picture.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

This girl in my avatar also ended like that. So sad.

Let's strive for liberation, friends!!
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:22 pm This girl in my avatar also ended like that. So sad.
The second picture looks fine to me! Perhaps depends on your age... :tongue:

:heart:
Mike
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

AE2068DB-2BFA-47A4-A15D-905B51532493.jpeg
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
denise

Post by denise »

Still Laughing! Thank you Mr. Bean for making funny faces....a little laughter felt great...you are lucky if you still can enjoy Mr. Bean and his impressions of us....he is spot on :anjali:
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:01 pm Image

Some years later...

This is cliche but useful.
I had to look up this term:
Saṃvega is a Buddhist term which indicates a sense of shock, dismay and spiritual urgency to reach liberation and escape the suffering of samsara. According to Thanissaro Bhikku, saṃvega is the "first emotion you're supposed to bring to the training"[1] and can be defined as:

The oppressive sense of shock, dismay, and alienation that come with realizing the futility and meaninglessness of life as it's normally lived; a chastening sense of our own complacency and foolishness in having let ourselves live so blindly; and an anxious sense of urgency in trying to find a way out of the meaningless cycle.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa%E1%B9%83vega

Although I again realize "the futility and meaninglessness of life" (not "as it's normally lived" but generally) by means of the pictures of another person you suggest this does not cause a "sense of shock, dismay" or a sense of "spiritual urgency".
So obviously there need to be other prerequisites to "arise samvega [as defined in my quote] in approximately 1 second" by means of pictures of another person younger and older. Experiences are individually conditioned.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Seeing films and photos in the media of people dying of Covid19 in hospitals, and hearing about the extra makeshift mortuaries for the bodies is enough for me to feel a sense of horror.

Ageing or obese people (like in the above photos) are just regular sights I see in the streets every day.

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Let's strive for liberation, friends!!
You're still likely to become old, wrinkled, and probably disabled, (and maybe obese too) even if you do become "liberated"!

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Aloka wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:19 pm
You're still likely to become old, wrinkled, and probably disabled, (and maybe obese too) even if you do become "liberated"!

Perhaps old age, sickness and death motivate towards the path.
Many people chose many different paths unless you are a Buddhist with the knowledge of Noble Eightfold Path.
For a nihilist even the three signs are not enough to arise Samvega.
In modern society it is very difficult to arise Samvega due to medicine, plastic surgery and pain killers even the availability of euthanasia.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

SarathW wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:01 am

Many people chose many different paths unless you are a Buddhist with the knowledge of Noble Eightfold Path.
In modern society it is very difficult to arise Samvega due to medicine, plastic surgery and pain killers even the availability of euthanasia.
Yes they can help to motivate buddhists but my point was that everyone has to experiences old age sickness and death, including those who are said to be "Liberated". Even the Buddha complained about his painful back. (I can't remember which sutta it is, sorry)

:anjali:
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

rh seems to refer to liberation from youth-beauty-and-health cult. ;)
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Ionbuddy

Post by Ionbuddy »

SarathW wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:01 am

And yet chronic disease is on the rise. Obesity, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, etc. And mentally there's still depression, still feelings of void, etc. There are people that are poor and stuck in dead end jobs they hate leading to humdrum misery, but also fabulously wealthy and popular individuals who despite all they have are still miserable. There are even those who have middling wealth, and yet are stuck on a treadmill of either trying to get more wealth or more esteem, but never feeling quite full leading to a more subtle misery.

Decreasing suffering is a noble endeavor because there are never ending sources of misery elsewhere. There's no shortage of people who have loss of meaning in their life.
I still have defilements.