Autobiography of monks

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
befriend

Autobiography of monks

Post by befriend »

Are there any autobiographies of theravadan monks I could buy on Amazon? the one with Ajahn thet is kind of expensive.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
frank k

Re: Autobiography of monks

Post by frank k »

befriend wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:17 pm Are there any autobiographies of theravadan monks I could buy on Amazon? the one with Ajahn thet is kind of expensive.
you shouldn't have to buy any books. plenty of biographies of monks here, for free:
https://forestdhamma.org/books/english-books/
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
befriend

Post by befriend »

That looks great thank you
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
SamanaJohann2

Post by SamanaJohann2 »

frank k wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:06 pm
befriend wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:17 pm Are there any autobiographies of theravadan monks I could buy on Amazon? the one with Ajahn thet is kind of expensive.
you shouldn't have to buy any books. plenty of biographies of monks here, for free:
Well, common trade is surely better and not so misleading as "Robinhood-hood", and even praising such.

Maybe better to say: blessed who can live by what has been given (personaly), or at least asked for.

Taking "free" doesn't mean to not break apart, better never arrive, at full Sila, still carry on wrong view. And "free" doesn't mean no debts, no trade, but there are various reasons why one gives, even bonds to very grave wrong views.

Why not telling your own story if inspired to feed, to give, good householder? Maybe starting with:"Long time I rejected to go on for my self, but once I desiered to feed someone with a story he could relay on for a walkabout, but considering, I saw I actually had non, my own, to give. That made my terrible annoyed, a good pride forced myselft to change this poorness. "If they could, ordinary human, why can't I? That wouldn't be proper for me!" So I got the right focus, right there, which leaded myself into the holly life..."
Jeff_

Post by Jeff_ »

SamanaJohann2 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:15 pm
frank k wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:06 pm
Well, common trade is surely better and not so misleading as "Robinhood-hood", and even praising such.

Maybe better to say: blessed who can live by what has been given (personaly), or at least asked for.

Taking "free" doesn't mean to not break apart, better never arrive, at full Sila, still carry on wrong view. And "free" doesn't mean no debts, no trade, but there are various reasons why one gives, even bonds to very grave wrong views.
Bhante, I am not sure I understand your objections here. Forest Dhamma Books holds the copyright to everything they distribute. They are a charitable publisher of Dhamma books. From their "About" page
FOREST DHAMMA BOOKS HAS FOR MANY YEARS been a charitable publisher of English translations showcasing the literary works and Dhamma teachings of Venerable Ajaan Mahā Boowa, an exceptional teacher and masterful exponent of the Thai Forest Tradition.

Many Theravādin Dhamma books contain the inscriptions: “For free distribution only” or “The gift of Dhamma excels all other gifts.” That’s because all of this inspiring literature is given away free of charge. Within the Forest Dhamma Books community, the major part of the translating, editing, formatting and artwork connected with our books has been done by monks, nuns and lay helpers who volunteer their time and energy. It is fair to say that their noble efforts have profoundly affected the lives of many people.

The Forest Dhamma narrative starts in early 1963 with the arrival at Baan Taad Forest Monastery of Ajaan Paññāvaḍḍho, who soon began translating some of Ajaan Mahā Boowa’s books on Dhamma practice into English. Because Ajaan Mahā Boowa often referred to his teachings as “Dhamma of the forest,” the first book of teachings that Ajaan Paññāvaḍḍho translated and published was entitled Forest Dhamma. Inspired by this and other translations, many Westerners came to live and practice with Ajaan Mahā Boowa, participating wholeheartedly in the unique spiritual lifestyle of the Thai Forest Tradition.

Forest Dhamma Books was initiated in Thailand in 1999 as a project to print and distribute English translations of Ajaan Mahā Boowa’s books on the teachings and the practices of the Thai Forest Tradition. All books were published in Thailand, each printing funded entirely by public donations. Dhamma books were printed solely for free distribution to any interested reader. In English-speaking countries around the world, Forest Dhamma Books set up private distribution centers that received shipments of our publications (for which our donors paid the shipping and delivery costs) and distributed them freely to individuals, Buddhist organizations and meditation and retreat centers. Using donations collected in Thailand over the ensuing years, Forest Dhamma Books printed over 200,000 Buddhist publications in English, all of which have been distributed free of charge; many of them in the United States. All Forest Dhamma’s books and other media are available for free download on this site.

At present this site offers 15 original books in English, 22 books in Thai, 7 books translated into Chinese, 5 books into Portuguese, 3 books into German, 4 books into Vietnamese, 4 books into Singhalese, 2 books into Indonesian, 2 books into Spanish, 1 book into French and 1 into Italian. In total we offer 66 Buddhist titles for free download at this link. In addition to that, all of our English-language books are now offered on the website as Audiobooks for free download.
----------
You can find the autobiography of Ajaan Lee online here.

or you can write to Metta Forest Monastery book request for a hard copy.
GnosticMind

Post by GnosticMind »

I recently obtained nyanatiloka's autobiog -- it looks promising -- has anyone here read it?

I also recently completed the excellent biography of the French hermit monk Ven Nanadipa ( recently passed away) which was fantastic.

https://www.fourthmessenger.org/suttas- ... s-forests/
GnosticMind

Post by GnosticMind »

If anyone's interested, here's Nyanatiloka's autobiog--

https://ia802701.us.archive.org/7/items ... 5md7cC.pdf
GnosticMind

Post by GnosticMind »

The following is an inspiring read from a fascinating life of a recluse --

THE ISLAND WITHIN – THE LIFE OF THE HERMIT MONK BHANTE ÑĀṆADĪPA

https://pathpress.org/wp-content/upload ... Within.pdf

Now what I'd really enjoy reading would be an informed biography of Alan Bennett, one of the first British monks --

https://www.google.com/search?q=alan+be ... 11&bih=438

He had started out as an occultist wizard from Stoke Newington ( as I recall?), who then shunned the occult world for Dhamma -- quite a character.