Pali chanting for deceased

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Phattu

Pali chanting for deceased

Post by Phattu »

Dear All,

Please indicate if you happen to know a pali chant/recitation that I could read for the deceased.
Many thanks,
Phattu
Dhammanando

Re: Pali chanting for deceased

Post by Dhammanando »

I think the Salla Sutta is the most appropriate.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .irel.html
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
nmz

Post by nmz »

Kumara

Post by Kumara »

Phattu wrote:Please indicate if you happen to know a pali chant/recitation that I could read for the deceased.
"For the deceased"? Assuming they are still hanging around (They usually are apparently.) perhaps a talk/chant on forgiveness and letting go would be good.
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Dhammanando wrote:I think the Salla Sutta is the most appropriate.

https://suttacentral.net/en/an5.57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I thought they chanted the remembrances:
Jarādhammomhi jaraṃ anatīto....
Vyādhidhammomhi vyādhiṃ anatīto....
Maraṇadhammomhi maraṇaṃ anatīto....
Sabbehi me piyehi manāpehi nānābhāvo vinābhāvo....
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

waterchan wrote:
Dhammanando wrote:I think the Salla Sutta is the most appropriate.

https://suttacentral.net/en/an5.57
I thought they chanted the remembrances:
Jarādhammomhi jaraṃ anatīto....
Vyādhidhammomhi vyādhiṃ anatīto....
Maraṇadhammomhi maraṇaṃ anatīto....
Sabbehi me piyehi manāpehi nānābhāvo vinābhāvo....
I'm not very familiar with the Buddhist funeral customs outside of Thailand, so I don't know whether the Five Subjects for Frequent Reflection are used anywhere. In Thailand they form part of the morning chanting in most monasteries, but I've never heard them chanted at a funeral.

I have heard that the Sri Lankan custom is to recite the Salla Sutta at funerals and this strikes me as a much more reasonable practice than what we do in Thailand. As there's nothing that can be done for the deceased, a funeral should serve as an occasion for salutary reflection by the living. The Salla Sutta serves this purpose.

In Thailand, however, the custom is to recite the mātikās to the seven books of the Abhidhamma Piṭaka, a practice that's aimed at the benefit of the deceased rather than the people attending the funeral. The underlying belief is that the spirit of the deceased is hanging around the coffin and needs to be urged to go and get reborn. And so the chanting of the Abhidhamma is aimed at informing the spirit that the rūpadhammas that make up its corpse are no use to it anymore and so it's time to let go of attachment to it and move on. Given the Theravada's rejection of the doctrine of an intermediate state between death and rebirth, the custom is obviously an irrational superstition. There's also a certain irony to the Thai practice, considering that the Theravadin rejection of the intermediate state heresy is actually contained in one of the books of the Abhidhamma!
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Dhammanando wrote:Given the Theravada's rejection of the doctrine of an intermediate state between death and rebirth, the custom is obviously an irrational superstition. There's also a certain irony to the Thai practice, considering that the Theravadin rejection of the intermediate state heresy is actually contained in one of the books of the Abhidhamma!
I don't know exactly where in the Canon this intermediate state is rejected, but isn't it conceivable that this intermediate being that supposedly needs to be ushered into letting go of the rupa dhammas is a short-lived peta? I've heard some traditional Theravadins say that some hungry ghosts can be liberated from that state upon receiving metta, or rejoicing in the merits of others, or something like that.
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Dhammanando wrote:In Thailand, however, the custom is to recite the mātikās to the seven books of the Abhidhamma Piṭaka
Gosh, my deepest compassion for the poor dead being who has to listen to this. That would definitely compel him to get reborn immediately. A good strategy from the Thais!
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

waterchan wrote:I don't know exactly where in the Canon this intermediate state is rejected,
In the Kathāvatthu.

https://suttacentral.net/en/kv8.2
waterchan wrote:but isn't it conceivable that this intermediate being that supposedly needs to be ushered into letting go of the rupa dhammas is a short-lived peta?
No.

When Thais invite monks to their homes to chant the Abhidhamma Mātikā, it is for a winyaan, not a short-lived preta, that they are doing it. A winyaan (the Thai pronunciation of viññāṇa) is the state in which a person supposedly finds himself (a spirit, ghost, wraith, or whatever) after he has died but before he has been reborn. In this state he apparently possesses the sense-faculties (in rural Thai homes before the monks start chanting, the village headman will rap seven times on the coffin to get the winyaan's attention), and so it's not easy to say why the Thais don't simply classify it as a preta or a terrestrial deva or something, but the fact is they don't.
waterchan wrote:I've heard some traditional Theravadins say that some hungry ghosts can be liberated from that state upon receiving metta, or rejoicing in the merits of others, or something like that.
I think that goes beyond what the texts support. They seem to allow only for the possibility of an alleviation of the sufferings of one particular sub-species of preta. Not a liberation from the preta state itself.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

waterchan wrote:
Dhammanando wrote:In Thailand, however, the custom is to recite the mātikās to the seven books of the Abhidhamma Piṭaka
Gosh, my deepest compassion for the poor dead being who has to listen to this. That would definitely compel him to get reborn immediately.
It's not that bad! In any case the chanting takes only about ten minutes at the most. One will find it done in many different styles, some of them quite beautiful and others an absolute cacophany. Something like this is probably the commonest:

Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Dhammanando wrote:
waterchan wrote:
Gosh, my deepest compassion for the poor dead being who has to listen to this. That would definitely compel him to get reborn immediately.
It's not that bad! In any case the chanting takes only about ten minutes at the most. One will find it done in many different styles, some of them quite beautiful and others an absolute cacophany.
Oh, right, you said they chant the "mātikās to the seven books of the Abhidhamma Piṭaka", not "the seven books of the Abhidhamma Piṭaka". That would definitely kill him twice over there and then.
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Dhammanando wrote:Given the Theravada's rejection of the doctrine of an intermediate state between death and rebirth, the custom is obviously an irrational superstition. There's also a certain irony to the Thai practice, considering that the Theravadin rejection of the intermediate state heresy is actually contained in one of the books of the Abhidhamma!
In this video, at 1:18 Bhante Gunaratana says that there is a period of "at least nine, ten months" between successive rebirths. Would this not imply an intermediate state? And is there a canonical source to his statement?

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

waterchan wrote:In this video, at 1:18 Bhante Gunaratana says that there is a period of "at least nine, ten months" between successive rebirths. Would this not imply an intermediate state?
No. The schools that taught the antarābhava doctrine posited an intermediate state in between death and conception. Bhante Gunaratana is talking about the gestation period between conception and birth.
waterchan wrote:And is there a canonical source to his statement?
"It is the rule that whereas other women carry the child in their womb for nine or ten months before giving birth, it is not so with the Bodhisatta’s mother, who carries him for exactly ten months before giving birth. That is the rule"
(Mahāpadāna Sutta, DN. 14)
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Phattu

Post by Phattu »

Many thanks for your attention and contributions to my post.
Actually I was looking for something to the benefit of the deceased and not the people attending the funeral, and my understanding of the salla sutta is that it is for the latter.