OpenOffice/LibreOffice Spell-check Dictionaries for Pali

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Bhikkhu Pesala

OpenOffice/LibreOffice Spell-check Dictionaries for Pali

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Does anyone have dictionary files for Pali?
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
perkele

Re: OpenOffice Spell-check Dictionaries for Pali

Post by perkele »

I vaguely recall Ven. Yuttadhammo speaking of how difficult it would be to have a comprehensive Pali spellchecker, in one of his recent YouTube videos when answering a question in that direction. I don't know which one, unfortunately, and what the question was exactly. I think, though, that the questioner asked specifically whether there was a Pali spellchecker somewhere, or maybe whether it could be integrated into the Digital Pali Reader or something, and Ven. Yuttdadhammo spoke and thought about the possibilities and difficulties, and what could be done perhaps. So nothing specifically about OpenOffice probably, and nothing ready and available as of yet, I think. But possible some useful thoughts in that direction. I don't know if it could be helpful for you.
Sorry that I cannot give any more detailed information. Perhaps you could ask Ven. Yuttadhammo.

:anjali:
mirco

Post by mirco »

[offtopic] Forget OO. LibreOffice is the successor. [/offtopic]
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Yes, I know, but while most will have heard of OpenOffice, only those who use it will know about LibreOffice.

The Dictionary Repository for LibreOffice has a fair number. Opera 12.17 (which is my default browser) uses OpenOffice dictionaries (not sure where they fetch them from).

I have asked about this before, but wondered if there was any update. I think it might be impractical or very difficult to create proper affix rules for Pali. If it could be done, it might be little more than an extensive word list of popular words, much like the word list I have created over the years while editing my publications.
Attachments
Pali.txt
(35.38 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Dhamma_Basti

Re: OpenOffice/LibreOffice Spell-check Dictionaries for Pali

Post by Dhamma_Basti »

Afaik it has not been done so far, but from my point of view it is not an unmanagable task. In Sanskrit we are quite far with morphology, reaching more than 99% coverage thanks to the work of sanskrit.inria.fr (excluding compounds).
I am more than grateful to the fact that they released their morphology engine under the GPL, so it is now accessible. I once did a very basic approach wich was like "take all the words of the PTS dictionary, divide them in nouns and verbs and then add all the possible suffixes". But naturally this approach is prone to overgeneration and the results not too precise. With a good morphology engine, maybe do validation by scanning through etext libraries and we will reach quite usable results I think. :)
My blog on buddhism, languages and programming.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Thank you for posting. Maybe it will happen one day. The method that I have is OK for English books with some common Pāli words, but a proper Hunspell dictionary would be of wider use, provided it didn't have too many errors and omissions. If done badly, it might be worse than none at all.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dhamma_Basti

Post by Dhamma_Basti »

Yea unfortunately the scholastic interest in pāli is not as high as in sanskrit and the grammar is also not that regular and predictable. I used Fahs Pāli Grammar in the past to create morphological data for pāli but the problem here is that you can't just map the endings to the words as you would expect it in sanskrit because pāli has a lot of irregularities, some things just "work", other don't. Really needs a Banthe to check what is right in the end. seems to me as if linguistic study of middle indic languages is still in a very very early stage. So it will be a lot of work to do this, that's for sure.
On the other hand the vowel contractions and simplified sandhi should make things easier for us as compared to sanskrit, so there is hope. ^^
My blog on buddhism, languages and programming.
mirco

Post by mirco »

Dhamma_Basti wrote:Really needs a Bhante to check what is right in the end
There also might be non-monastic pali-scholars, who can help.