Dictionary of Pali Idioms

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
annada

Re: Dictionary of Pali Idioms

Post by annada »

Assaji wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:23 am You are welcome.
The primary idea is to make the text searchable by English words. I guess most Pali words can also be found.
As I see some pali characters were recognized as well. I tried ocr-ing pali earlier but I could not do it in any language, the special charaters were not recognized. What language did you use, how did you manage that some of the characters were recognized?
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

cfekete wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:39 am As I see some pali characters were recognized as well. I tried ocr-ing pali earlier but I could not do it in any language, the special charaters were not recognized. What language did you use, how did you manage that some of the characters were recognized?
I used gImageReader, and selected English and "te reo Māori [mri]" as OCR languages, since Maori language also has long vowels. You can as well try Hawaiian, Samoan and Latvian. I wonder if there's also a suitable language with underdots.

You can also use tesseract trained data by Cittaanurakkho:

viewtopic.php?t=39867
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Dear Khanti,
Ko Khanti wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:10 pm This is great, Assaji, thanks so much, it will make this text much easier for me to use, I really appreciate it!
I have made an updated version, recognizing the Pali text with Cittānurakkho's tesseract trained data, and uploaded it to the website:

https://dhamma.ru/paali/Anuruddha_Dicti ... Idioms.pdf

:anjali:
Ko Khanti

Post by Ko Khanti »

Dear Assaji:

Thank you so much for posting this, Assaji, we are very lucky for your generous time, this is very helpful.

May I ask, have you been using the dictionary much? Have you found it specifically helpful for anything in particular?

Sincerely,

Khanti
kmdesai1965

Post by kmdesai1965 »

Ko Khanti wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:08 am Dear Friends:

Sure, happy to help. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z08j52l6lwpub ... s.pdf?dl=0

I am sometimes not really sure I fully understand how to use it to its full potential, like how to look things up efficiently etc., so please let me know if anyone finds it helpful for specific purposes.

Sincerely

Khanti
:namaste:

Thank you.