What is 'fart' in pali?

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
frank k

What is 'fart' in pali?

Post by frank k »

To test out the English-pali search capabilities in my new single file CPED, I'm astounded that 'fart' and 'flatulence' do not exist.
I've read all the pali suttas, and I don't recall anyone farting in there.
This can not be.
Surely people farted 2500 years ago in the suttas or vinaya. What's the pali for that?
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
Upathissa

Re: What is 'fart' in pali?

Post by Upathissa »

Hi Frank,

Uddangamáwàtà - Burps
Adògamàwàtà - Farts
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
pitakele

Post by pitakele »

From Buddhadatta's English Pali Dictonary

flatulence : (m.) udaravātābādha.
flatulent : (adj.) udaravātika; vātabahula.

In the commentaries somewhere (or Visuddhimagga?), there is a story about a young woman who wanted to go forth. However, her family wanted her to be a bride. As a ploy to avoid this, she told her family she would marry only if they could provide a groom who fulfilled five conditions. The first four were easy, but when they heard the fifth condition, they knew this was impossible and allowed the young woman to ordain. The fifth condition - that the groom should never ever fart 😊
aniccā vata saṇkhārā - tesaṁ vūpasamo sukho
frank k

Post by frank k »

Thanks all for finding one of the words for 'fart.' Aren't there more?
With udaravātābādha, a word I'm seeing for the first time, I can see the results of my pali studies coming to fruition.
udariam : I recognize that from 31 body parts, the stomach.
vātā: from 4 elements of rupa, this is the wind element.
ābādha: affliction, health ailment

so udara-vāt-ābādha = stomach wind affliction. But how does that differentiate between a burp and a fart?

for flatulent : (adj.) udara-vāti-ka; vāta-bahula,
'ka' is a 'doer', a person who does.
bahula = much
so someone who is flatulent is a stomach-wind-doer, or does wind-much.

And why the asymmetry between Buddhadatta's pali-eng and eng-pali dictionary? Why is 'udaravātābādha' in the english dictionary under 'flatulence', but not in the pali-eng dicationary? I feel cheated. A big reason I spent 8 hours merging 30 separate html files into a single CPED file is so I could search for 'flatulence' and find it there, not have to go look in a separate english-pali dictionary.
pitakele wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:14 pm From Buddhadatta's English Pali Dictonary

flatulence : (m.) udaravātābādha.
flatulent : (adj.) udaravātika; vātabahula.

In the commentaries somewhere (or Visuddhimagga?), there is a story about a young woman who wanted to go forth. However, her family wanted her to be a bride. As a ploy to avoid this, she told her family she would marry only if they could provide a groom who fulfilled five conditions. The first four were easy, but when they heard the fifth condition, they knew this was impossible and allowed the young woman to ordain. The fifth condition - that the groom should never ever fart 😊
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
frank k

Post by frank k »

Upathissa wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:06 pm Hi Frank,

Uddangamáwàtà - Burps
Adògamàwàtà - Farts
Is that Sinhala?
What would the pali roman script be for Adògamàwàtà ?
Upathissa

Post by Upathissa »

frank k wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:42 pm
Upathissa wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:06 pm Hi Frank,

Uddangamáwàtà - Burps
Adògamàwàtà - Farts
I'm probably wrong here.. 😶👍
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I've been told some Pali dictionaries have been censored, and many "rude" words left out.
Firstly in victorian times, by English translators, due to prudish morals
And thereafter by conservative translators in Burma and Sri Lanka, who still suffered from the colonial influence of the victorian era.
BlackMagic

Post by BlackMagic »

In translations to "english" The pranayama speaking of ascending and descending winds as in knowing short breath long breath until all kinds of breath are known as a complete and exhausted vehicle of study where one knows with wisdom all types of breath and wind.

When someone is thinking about you they carry a wind in a sort of etheric body; if they are awake it is typically a sort of perfume... if asleep flatulence.

If I think about someone it becomes a oneness of being something I honestly don't care to practice; as many get confused to the guest/host relationship... and try to take up residence not really knowing self from other; such a thing is samsara a dualistic entanglement sort of like what gets referred to as demonic possession not liberation.
What has happened; Is that which has yet to come. What will be ...Already is.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

i read somewhere that buddha said one benefit of being alone was that he could do bathroom functions privately, something like that. anyone know where that was?
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
frank k

Post by frank k »

search for: udaravātābādho (stomach wind ailment) only occurs 3 times in vinaya, and one time in KN Mil.
Not sure it's farting, they could be talking about general stomach aches?

Here, it looks like it says Buddha allows sariputta to eat garlic to relieve stomach ache (farting?).
Vin 5, 5. khuddakavatthukkhandhakaṃ, para. 196 ⇒
♦ tena kho pana samayena āyasmato sāriputtassa udaravātābādho hoti. atha kho āyasmā mahāmoggallāno yenāyasmā sāriputto tenupasaṅkami, upasaṅkamitvā āyasmantaṃ sāriputtaṃ etadavoca — “pubbe te, āvuso sāriputta, udaravātābādho kena phāsu hotī”ti? “lasuṇena me, āvuso”ti VAR. bhagavato etamatthaṃ ārocesuṃ. “anujānāmi, bhikkhave, ābādhappaccayā lasuṇaṃ khāditun”ti.

This, maybe something about allowing a medicinal syrup with salt to relieve stomach ache?
Vin 4, 6. bhesajjakkhandhako, 163. guḷādianujānanā, para. 3 ⇒
273. tena kho pana samayena aññatarassa bhikkhuno udaravātābādho hoti. so loṇasovīrakaṃ apāyi. tassa so udaravātābādho paṭippassambhi. bhagavato etamatthaṃ ārocesuṃ . anujānāmi, bhikkhave, gilānassa loṇasovīrakaṃ; agilānassa udakasambhinnaṃ pānaparibhogena paribhuñjitunti.

This one is talking about a rice gruel made up of grains and beans , in relation to that stomach condition
Vin 4, 6. bhesajjakkhandhako, 164. antovuṭṭhādipaṭikkhepakathā, para. 1 ⇒

274. atha kho bhagavā anupubbena cārikaṃ caramāno yena rājagahaṃ tadavasari. tatra sudaṃ bhagavā rājagahe viharati veḷuvane kalandakanivāpe. tena kho pana samayena bhagavato udaravātābādho hoti. atha kho āyasmā ānando — ‘pubbepi bhagavato udaravātābādho tekaṭulayāguyā phāsu hotī’ti — sāmaṃ tilampi, taṇḍulampi, muggampi viññāpetvā, anto vāsetvā, anto sāmaṃ pacitvā bhagavato upanāmesi —

And this passage, I'm not sure what it says
KN Mil, 4. meṇḍakapañho, 5. santhavavaggo, 3. buddhāppābādhapañho, para. 6 ⇒

“yaṃ pana āyasmā bākulo appābādho ahosi, taṃ abhinīhāravasena, so hi, mahārāja, anomadassissa bhagavato udaravātābādhe uppanne vipassissa ca bhagavato aṭṭhasaṭṭhiyā ca bhikkhusatasahassānaṃ tiṇapupphakaroge uppanne sayaṃ tāpaso samāno nānābhesajjehi taṃ byādhiṃ apanetvā appābādhataṃ patto, bhaṇito ca ‘etadaggaṃ . pe . bākulo’ti.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

salayatananirodha wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:16 am i read somewhere that buddha said one benefit of being alone was that he could do bathroom functions privately, something like that. anyone know where that was?
I agree with him if he said so.
I eat things which make me fart a lot. I'm glad I live alone. :oops:
I suspect it's the explosive combination of eggs, sauerkraut, cauliflower, legumes and oats. But I don't want to stop eating these so I have to deal with this constant bad smell plus the fact that I don't use deodorants.

In short, nobody can bear me due to my diet and restraint. :embarassed:
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
frank k

Post by frank k »

Maybe we can construct some new pali expressions that describe flatulence unambiguously?
udara-vata-abadho as far as I can tell can describe any number of stomach wind ailments.

There must have been idioms and colloquialisms that they used 2500 years ago. If there's no record of it, maybe we can construct our own.
Here are some ideas from the urban dictionary, can any pali expert translate something similar to these?

Or even just some technical unambiguous description, such as emission of karissa vapor from the anus. I'm wholly unsatisfied with udara-vata-abadho and will not rest until precise suitable alternatives in pali are presented. How can anyone take an academic dictionary seriously if it doesn't include flatulence? It's one of the most important human functions. Just see what happens if you ever can not fart. You will experience violent pain, and it can cause death.

Recently the yahoo pali group dissolved, and Assaji suggested this Dhammwheel forum as a replacement. Perhaps some pali enthusiasts and expert can show their expertise and produce a quality answer to this question. Otherwise, the yahoo pali group was a ghost to me all these years, and just as useful.

flatulence

the violent evacuation of intestinal gases

He gave his opinion on handling the war in Afghanistan, suggesting the United States send a squad of Midwestern football fans whose diets consist of cabbage, cheese and beer and let their flatulence cripple everyone in range.

by mackhallux September 06, 2010

flatulence

Fart, gas, cheese, break wind, cut, cut cheese, rip, ripped the cheese, let, let one, ripper, skunk bait, fluffer, poofer, false pooper, put-put, poof-poof, brown-dart, blue-dart, chair air, room clearer, angel's whisper, the dog did it, rotten eggs, anal methane.

I had such bad flatulence, I could not sleep

by Don August 06, 2004

flatulence

Euphemism for fart, blowing a binderfender, cutting a tile peeler.

Margie, when you have so much flatulence, I'd appreciate it if you'd stay home.

by Tuna Wanda May 21, 2005

Flatulence

Defined as a gaseous or sometimes solid emission originating and blown from the anus that causes an adverse reaction from anyone in the vicinity. See Fart, or Bust Ass.

Bobby was flatulent that night and scared away the ladies.

by Jeff S November 09, 2003