Source for the Pāli Canon in English

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
dharmatheway84

Source for the Pāli Canon in English

Post by dharmatheway84 »

I will try to answer as many of my questions by first using Google before starting a thread on here. This one I am not 100% sure about, despite using Google and doing a little of my own research.

I am aware that not all of the Tipitaka has been translated into English from Pāli. Also, I found a British source for the (incomplete) English translation of the Tipitaka and the complete Pāli translation, both in printed form. Both are well over $1,000 and someday I would like to own a hard copy of these holy texts.

In the meantime, I would like to locate the entire Tipitaka that has been translated into English in a PDF or multiple PDF files.

I see that Accesstoinsight.org has most of the English translated Tipitaka but as far as I can tell lacks the Abhidhamma.

Therefore, I would either like to find one source for the entire English Tipitaka or a source for the English translated Abhidhamma so I can add it to the other files and have the complete body of text in English.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Source for the Pāli Canon in English

Post by Sam Vara »

Sutta Central has I believe translated more of the suttas:
https://suttacentral.net/
which might help a bit. Also this:
https://www.digitalpalireader.online/_d ... index.html
:anjali:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dharmatheway84

Post by dharmatheway84 »

Thank you for the information Sam Vara and SarathW, I will check these out. :reading: :reading: :reading:
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Here are nearly all the suttas in English, free and open-source, in PDF.
https://suttacentral.net/downloads
BKh

Post by BKh »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:21 am Here are nearly all the suttas in English, free and open-source, in PDF.
I don't think they have pdfs there. Only Vinaya and Snp.

Here is a link to Bhante Sujato's translations as PDFs as well as many others:

https://readingfaithfully.org/sutta-pit ... bi-kindle/

That $1000 number probably includes lots of out of date publications. I suggest using this bibliography to collect modern and much more affordable books:
https://readingfaithfully.org/buildingasuttalibrary/
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

BKh wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:59 am
JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:21 am Here are nearly all the suttas in English, free and open-source, in PDF.
I don't think they have pdfs there. Only Vinaya and Snp.
Actually they are all in Epub format, not Pdf after all.

Long Discourses (Dīgha Nikāya),
Middle Discourses (Majjhima Nikāya),
Linked Discourses (Saṁyutta Nikāya),
Numbered Discourses (Aṅguttara Nikāya),
Verses of the Senior Monks (Theragāthā),
Verses of the Senior Nuns (Therīgāthā),
dharmatheway84

Post by dharmatheway84 »

Awesome James, as long as they are accessable, that's what I care about most and unlike some sources the page you linked looks easy to navigate.

BKh, thank you, that page looks like what I am looking for too. I knew all of this would be out their somewhere. Now I have no excuse not to get reading!

I am stopping by the Wat Florida Dhammaram Monastery later today so wish me luck. It should be a really nice experience and I should learn a lot as a new Buddhist.

-Michael
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

dharmatheway84 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:41 am I am stopping by the Wat Florida Dhammaram Monastery later today so wish me luck. It should be a really nice experience and I should learn a lot as a new Buddhist.
Wow I just looked at photos of that place and it's very Super Thai. Don't get confused by the Thai cultural surroundings and over-the-top statues and gaudiness, with the actual dhamma. Best wishes!

I would love to go to Florida, I'd visit the space museums and launch complexes.
BKh

Post by BKh »

dharmatheway84 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:41 am It should be a really nice experience and I should learn a lot as a new Buddhist.
If it's not, don't be thrown off. Not all monasteries are geared towards English speakers.

Do tell us how it goes.

Happy reading!
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
dharmatheway84

Post by dharmatheway84 »

I noticed that as well from the photos James, very Thai, naturally, considering it's origins. That specific style appeals to me, though I do not know any of the Thai language. Who knows, that may change. As long as the common goal is to worship the Lord Buddha and to better ourselves, that is what will really matters to me.

If you ever get a chance to visit Florida, there is so much to see beyond the theme parks, especially if you like beaches and nature. Kennedy Space Center is a great place to visit and learn. I went to space camp there as a kid and had a blast (no pun intended).
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

dharmatheway84 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:07 pm I noticed that as well from the photos James, very Thai, naturally, considering it's origins. That specific style appeals to me,
Yes I like it too, but it can be bizarre and weird for a new person.

I'll come to Florida after I win the lottery. :lol:
dharmatheway84

Post by dharmatheway84 »

I decided to put together the whole collection of Pāli texts, one book at a time, since I like to collect in general and I think this will be a fun way to complete the whole Canon over a 2-3 year period. The books will be largely paperback and mostly not in mint condition, since I will be looking for the lowest prices. In addition, they won't be matching, but as long as they are all there...

So far I have the following:

The Dhammapada
Screenshot_20210211-034649.png
The Vibhanga
Screenshot_20210211-034718.png
The Sutta Nippata
Screenshot_20210211-034745.png
dharmatheway84

Post by dharmatheway84 »

The Vimana-Vathu of the Khuddhaka nikaya Sutta pitaka
Screenshot_20210211-034806.png
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

dharmatheway84 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:54 am So far I have the following:

The Dhammapada
Is your Penguin Classics Dhammapada the old one by Juan Mascaro or the new one by Valerie Roebuck? If it's the old one then I should warn you that it's notoriously bad.

Either way, welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)