Pali words for "arising" and "passing"

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Paccayata

Pali words for "arising" and "passing"

Post by Paccayata »

I can't seem to find the Pali words for "arising" and "passing". I'm not referring to the stage of insight knowledge (udayabbaya-ñana), but rather the terms independently.

I suspect that arising/origination is "samuppāda" as in "dependent arising/origination". I'm specifically thinking in terms of anicca, the momentary arising and passing of phenomena (thoughts, sensation, etc.)
Paccayata

Re: Pali words for "arising" and "passing"

Post by Paccayata »

I think I might have it:

Udaya,[fr.ud + i,cp.udeti] rise,growth; increment,increase; income,revenue,interest A.II,199

vyaya:[m.; nt.] (mano-group) age; loss; decay; expenditure.

Combined they form:

udayabbaya:[m.] rise and fall; increase and decrease; birth and death.

Since "abbaya" stands for "avyaya":

ThA.90.--vyaya = °bbaya S., The Pali Text Society's Pali-English Dictionary

So separately:
udaya = Arising, increasing
vyaya = Passing, decreasing

Together:
udayabbaya

Is that correct?
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Paccayata wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:03 pm So separately:
udaya = Arising, increasing
vyaya = Passing, decreasing

Together:
udayabbaya

Is that correct?
Yes, correct
SDC

Post by SDC »

Yes, where a double v would occur, it is written as bb.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Paccayata wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:45 am I suspect that arising/origination is "samuppāda" as in "dependent arising/origination".
SN 22.5 refers to "sam-udaya" as the co-arising of things dependent on craving for them. Therefore, I think udayabbaya (as found in the 4th part of AN 4.41) refers to the arising & cessation of craving for/towards the five aggregates.
Paccayata wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:45 am I'm specifically thinking in terms of anicca, the momentary arising and passing of phenomena (thoughts, sensation, etc.)
I would use the terms "uppajjati" and "abbhattha" for the above context, as found in the 3rd part of AN 4.41.

Note: I do not regard MN 10 as a genuine teaching of the Buddha therefore ignore its use of "samudaya + vaya" for this context.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati