Asking for opinions on the translation of a particular sentence

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Watana

Asking for opinions on the translation of a particular sentence

Post by Watana »

"Yampidaṃ diṭṭhaṃ sutaṃ mutaṃ viññātaṃ pattaṃ pariyesitaṃ anuvicaritaṃ manasā, tampi [...]"

Nyanaponika Thera translates it as "whatever is seen, heard, sensed, thought ; whatever is encountered, sought and pursued with the mind".

To me this translation makes way more sense than the usual "whatever is seen, heard, sensed, cognized ; whatever is attained, sought and pondered with the mind" because it explains how craving arises : one sees something, hears something, senses something, thinks something ; if a pleasant feeling arises, one will yearn for it and their whole mind will become infatuated with this desire.

Any thoughts from those who studied Paali ?
DooDoot

Re: Asking for opinions on the translation of a particular sentence

Post by DooDoot »

Watana wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:01 pm it explains how craving arises
I suppose a heretic that only has craving imagines all pariyesitaṃ & anuvicaritaṃ involves craving.

MN 26 says:
Mendicants, there are these two searches:
Dvemā, bhikkhave, pariyesanā—

the noble search and the ignoble search.
ariyā ca pariyesanā, anariyā ca pariyesanā.
pariyesati [verb]
pari + es + a
seeks for; searches; investigates
pariyesita [past participle of pariyesati]
seek for; searched; investigated
pariyesanā [noun; from pariyesati]
search; quest
SN 46.3 says:
As they live mindfully in this way they investigate, explore and inquire into that teaching with wisdom.

So tathā sato viharanto taṁ dhammaṁ paññāya pavicinati pavicarati parivīmaṁsamāpajjati.

At such a time, a mendicant has activated the awakening factor of investigation of principles;

Yasmiṁ samaye, bhikkhave, bhikkhu tathā sato viharanto taṁ dhammaṁ paññāya pavicinati pavicarati parivīmaṁsamāpajjati, dhammavicayasambojjhaṅgo tasmiṁ samaye bhikkhuno āraddho hoti;

https://suttacentral.net/sn46.3/en/sujato
pavicarati
to investigate thoroughly MN.iii.85; SN.v.68.

pa + vicarati
anuvicarati
anu + vicarati
to investigate closely [??]
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi Watana
Watana wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:01 pm "Yampidaṃ diṭṭhaṃ sutaṃ mutaṃ viññātaṃ pattaṃ pariyesitaṃ anuvicaritaṃ manasā, tampi [...]"

Nyanaponika Thera translates it as "whatever is seen, heard, sensed, thought ; whatever is encountered, sought and pursued with the mind".

To me this translation makes way more sense than the usual "whatever is seen, heard, sensed, cognized ; whatever is attained, sought and pondered with the mind" because it explains how craving arises : one sees something, hears something, senses something, thinks something ; if a pleasant feeling arises, one will yearn for it and their whole mind will become infatuated with this desire.

Any thoughts from those who studied Paali ?
Indeed this makes more sense. Somewhat similar sequence is described in the Sanidāna Sutta:

http://www.buddha-vacana.org/sutta/samy ... 4-012.html

:anjali:
Watana

Post by Watana »

Assaji wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:26 pm Hi Watana

Indeed this makes more sense. Somewhat similar sequence is described in the Sanidāna Sutta:

:anjali:
Thanks for letting me know, I need to check this out !

The more proofs I have for there being only 4 aggregates, the better.