(original translation) AN 4.14 English, fluent (no peyyāla), audio recording 15min

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
frank k

(original translation) AN 4.14 English, fluent (no peyyāla), audio recording 15min

Post by frank k »

https://audtip.blogspot.com/2021/03/an- ... yala.html

excerpt:
AN 4.14 English, fluent (no peyyāla), 15min
🔊 audio reading, 15min
People frequently ask, what is meditation, and what do you do exactly? This sutta describes it succinctly, from the point of view of right effort. Whether beginner, working on first jhana, or non returner working on arahantship, they're following instructions from this sutta, all the time.

What do you think of this English translation, and how it works in audio?
(in contrast with a more literal pali + english translation I did earlier here: AN 4.14 saṃvara (no peyyāla)

What I've come to realize about the oral tradition, and the suttas as recorded, is that the suttas are often terse, formulaic, optimized for memorizing and protecting fidelity of data, not for fluency and ease of comprehension for the listening audience.

So what I'm doing with this new style translation here, is taking the liberty of connecting the dots and inserting instructions from related suttas to make this sutta more self contained and comprehensible.

What do you think?

Whatever is in square brackets [], are not part of the sutta translation.

Reading text, it's clear what's not part of the pali original. But in audio recordings, there's no easy way to indicate that I've added some comments not part of the original pali sutta.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages