Hi Pali teachers ,

Carana is conduct ? (As in vijjacarana)
Which suttas explain its meaning ?

Thanks
No bashing No gossiping
asahi

Re: Carana

Post by asahi »

Some translate it as virtue . Any difference if compare to conduct ?
No bashing No gossiping
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

I don't think the epithet is defined in the suttas. In the buddhānussati section of the Visuddhimagga vijjā and caraṇa are explained in brief as corresponding to wisdom and compassion, but in the detailed description caraṇa is said to comprise fifteen items:
[Virtuous] conduct should be understood as fifteen things, that is to say: restraint by virtue, guarding of the sense faculties, knowledge of the right amount in eating, devotion to wakefulness, the seven good states, and the four jhānas of the fine-material sphere. For it is precisely by means of these fifteen things that a noble disciple conducts himself, that he goes towards the deathless. That is why it is called “[virtuous] conduct,” according as it is said, “Here, Mahānāma, a noble disciple has virtue” (M I 355), etc, the whole of which should be understood as given in the Middle Fifty [of the Majjhima Nikáya].
The "seven good states" referred to are faith, a sense of shame, a regard for consequence, learning, energy, mindfulness and understanding (saddhā, hiri, ottappa, suta, viriya, sati and paññā).
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
asahi

Post by asahi »

Dhammanando wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:43 pm I don't think the epithet is defined in the suttas. In the buddhānussati section of the Visuddhimagga vijjā and caraṇa are explained in brief as corresponding to wisdom and compassion, but in the detailed description caraṇa is said to comprise fifteen items:
[Virtuous] conduct should be understood as fifteen things, that is to say: restraint by virtue, guarding of the sense faculties, knowledge of the right amount in eating, devotion to wakefulness, the seven good states, and the four jhānas of the fine-material sphere. For it is precisely by means of these fifteen things that a noble disciple conducts himself, that he goes towards the deathless. That is why it is called “[virtuous] conduct,” according as it is said, “Here, Mahānāma, a noble disciple has virtue” (M I 355), etc, the whole of which should be understood as given in the Middle Fifty [of the Majjhima Nikáya].
The "seven good states" referred to are faith, a sense of shame, a regard for consequence, learning, energy, mindfulness and understanding (saddhā, hiri, ottappa, suta, viriya, sati and paññā).
Bhante , why it didnt include the four arupa jhana and cessation of feeling perception ?

:thanks:
No bashing No gossiping
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

asahi wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:58 am Bhante , why it didnt include the four arupa jhana and cessation of feeling perception ?
I'm not sure, but given the phrase:
For it is precisely by means of these fifteen things that a noble disciple conducts himself, that he goes towards the deathless.
I would conjecture that the commentator is limiting caraṇa to those things that are indispensable to attainment of the deathless.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Gwi II

Post by Gwi II »

asahi wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:57 am Hi Pali teachers ,

Carana is conduct ? (As in vijjacarana)
Which suttas explain its meaning ?

Thanks