Jhānā

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
BrokenBones

Re: Jhānā

Post by BrokenBones »

Aloka wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:28 am
BrokenBones wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:09 am I don't know the history of Coëmgenu insulting DD... but I'm guessing it wasn't one sided 🤣

It's a bit transparent to insult someone and then put in parentheses 'no offence intended'. :hug:
I wasn't insulting someone, I was making an observation and no offence was intended ...but perhaps you imagine yourself to be a mind reader, Mr/Mrs/Ms Bones ? :thinking:

:hello:
Ok :thumbsup:

I tried out that 'observation' on my partner... 'predictable & boring'....

🤕

They must think they're a mind reader :quote:
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Jhānā is Ok, if you want to say "in jhānas" you can go directly wih jhānesu :smile:
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Whenever we have something like two ways to pluralize, we have to wonder the reason. The alternative declensions for rūpa and jhāna indicate to me that likely there was at one point instability between the boundaries of neuter and masculine nouns. Jhānā and rūpā are being pluralized according to the masculine grammatical gender in their alternative forms. I have no direct evidence for this, we'd need to see adjectives in the masculine corresponding to jhānā and rūpā etc., and even then a lack of those would only mean that the language regularized over time as written text. My model in this claim for a possible reason why there are two plurals is classical Arabic, which I studied for two years. Classical Arabic, i.e. "Korannic," is created out of several diverse Arabic languages, and has all sorts of irregular and stacked ways to conjugate and decline, all of them holdovers from diverse dialects that merged, like in Old Church Slavonic, but OCS is far more systematic and regular than classical Arabic and based on less languages.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Aloka wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:50 amAnother point might be that your posts would be far more interesting if you controlled the need to make insulting remarks to DD all the time, because unfortunately it becomes predictable and boring. (no offence intended).
I don't think his objection warrants my attention and serious response. If you don't think so, we disagree, and that is fine. Rather than insulting, my opinions are plainly stated as to what I truly believe of DooDoot's response and explain why I feel no need to take his objection here seriously.
What is the Uncreated?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:19 pm I don't think...
:roll:
Coëmgenu wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:19 pm I feel no need to take his objection here seriously.
Sure, constantly reporting to the moderators is not "no need to take his objection here seriously". Sure :roll:

In summary, regarding "jhana" as "trance" is so archaic & 1800s. Best to stick to grammar, as i suggested.
Coëmgenu wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:16 am I could make a list of not absurd Theravādin Venerables who favoured the translation "trance" for jhāna,
Unlikely the list would be very long, which is why u don't do it. Only the most archaic monk, like the old German scholar monks, would use "trance".
Coëmgenu wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:11 pmMy guess is the second nonstandard plural is an archaic Prakritism encountered in verse mostly.
Sounds illogical since the SN would be regarded as older than the AN, where SN 2.11 appears to have a direct parallel but AN 10.72 appears not.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

DooDoot wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:56 pmconstantly reporting to the moderators
This is your imagination.
DooDoot wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:56 pmsince the SN would be regarded as older than the AN, where SN 2.11 appears to have a direct parallel but AN 10.72 appears not.
I already pointed out that jhānā appears in non-verse contexts. Bringing up AN has no bearing on "jhānā" being archaic or not.
What is the Uncreated?