Help with Pāli

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
elli

Help with Pāli

Post by elli »

Hello all,

This might be sort of silly, but I was looking to have the five remembrances engraved on a bracelet (https://www.roadid.com/) and each line allows only a limited number of characters, and so I was wondering if the following lines mean what I think they mean:

jaraṃ anatīto = aging is unavoidable
vyādhiṃ anatīto = illness is unavoidable
maraṇaṃ anatīto = death is unavoidable
Kammassakomhi = I am the owner of my actions
kammadāyādo = I am the heir of my actions

And then I was wondering how to, in Pāli, condense the remaining remembrance:
Sabbehi me piyehi manāpehi nānābhāvo vinābhāvo

In a way that would best capture the meaning.

If anyone could help me I'd be in your debt and could throw a donation someone in merit of you! Thank you!!
bhante dhamma

Re: Help with Pāli

Post by bhante dhamma »

Hi Elli, (In brief) Everything pleasing will become otherwise, I was just thinking if you could make another five classic Dhamma quotes for remembering, what would they be?
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

elli wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:16 pm Hello all,

This might be sort of silly, but I was looking to have the five remembrances engraved on a bracelet (https://www.roadid.com/) and each line allows only a limited number of characters, and so I was wondering if the following lines mean what I think they mean:

jaraṃ anatīto = aging is unavoidable
vyādhiṃ anatīto = illness is unavoidable
maraṇaṃ anatīto = death is unavoidable
Kammassakomhi = I am the owner of my actions
kammadāyādo = I am the heir of my actions

And then I was wondering how to, in Pāli, condense the remaining remembrance:
Sabbehi me piyehi manāpehi nānābhāvo vinābhāvo

In a way that would best capture the meaning.

If anyone could help me I'd be in your debt and could throw a donation someone in merit of you! Thank you!!
jaraṃ anatīto -- not free from decay
vyādhiṃ anatīto -- not free from disease
maraṇaṃ anatīto -- not free from death

(PED PTS, atīta, " 2. (modal) passed out of, having overcome or surmounted, gone over, free from (cp. accaya 2) S I.97 (maraṇaṃ an° not free from death)")

Kammassako'mhi -- I am my own kamma(n)
kammadāyādo -- I am the heir of my own kamma

Sabbehi me piyehi manāpehi nānābhāvo vinābhāvo -- change and separation from all that is pleasant and dear to me.
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
elli

Post by elli »

bhante dhamma wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:43 am
@bhante dhamma
Oh sorry, I might not have been clear, I know what they mean but I'm wondering if there's a way to use only part of "Sabbehi me piyehi manāpehi nānābhāvo vinābhāvo" that captures the meaning, since the entire line won't fit.

Ohhh for another set of five things, probably the four noble truths and the "strive diligently" from the Buddha's deathbed, always motivating for me ha.
sphairos wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:10 pm
@sphairos
Thank you! As above I might not have been clear, I was wondering if there's a way to condense "Sabbehi me piyehi manāpehi nānābhāvo vinābhāvo", even potentially using different words, to get within the character limit (24 characters). So, I was wondering if something like "Sabbehi me piyehi" captures the essence (I'm not sure what piyehi means, I couldn't find it in a pali dictionary). Thanks again for the help!
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

elli wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:00 am @sphairos
Thank you! As above I might not have been clear, I was wondering if there's a way to condense "Sabbehi me piyehi manāpehi nānābhāvo vinābhāvo", even potentially using different words, to get within the character limit (24 characters). So, I was wondering if something like "Sabbehi me piyehi" captures the essence (I'm not sure what piyehi means, I couldn't find it in a pali dictionary). Thanks again for the help!
You are welcome!

"Sabbehi me piyehi" -- "with/from all that is pleasant to me". You rather need "piyehi (me) vinābhāvo" , "separation from pleasant (ones)", if you are limited in space.
How true are your ways?
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Sabbehi me piyehi vinābhāvo ("I shall be be separated from all that is dear to me") will get it down to 24 characters, unless spaces count as characters.

In that case try, Piyehi me vinābhavo (I shall be separated from what is dear to me").
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
elli

Post by elli »

sphairos wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:21 am
@sphairos

!! Perfect, thank you so so much, I can donate somewhere for you if you'd like!!
Dhammanando wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:37 am
Sadly spaces do, so your second suggestion is perfect, thank you so much for it!! I can donate somewhere for you if you'd like!!
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

elli wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:37 pm
sphairos wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:21 am
@sphairos

!! Perfect, thank you so so much, I can donate somewhere for you if you'd like!!
You are most welcome, thanks, your thank you is more than enough :anjali:
How true are your ways?