The word buddha

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Viachh

The word buddha

Post by Viachh »

Did the word buddha exist in everyday language at the time of the Buddha or was this word invented by the Buddha as a neologism?
Pondera

Re: The word buddha

Post by Pondera »

I don’t know. But here are some examples of my insight.

There are three sages: Gautama, Hathada, and Moligna

This is the way of the world. When These three personalities meet there is a positive effect in the world.

Gautama is generally taller than the rest. Hathada has an analytic mind. Moligna is emotionally unstable - feeling instense joy and misery. He needs the others.

They all need each other. See “Nirvana”
The band.

Kurt Cobain - Molinga - vocals - lead guitar

Krist Novelcelic - Gautama - base lines - the spine

Dave Grohl - Hathada - drums - the beat.

Gautama - is roughly “Got Mine” or “Give-er”

Hathada - is roughly “Have That” or “Have at it”

Moligna - is roughly “Not mine” or “Phuck right off” (the most emotional of the three. Always needs support. Commits suicide else wise).

All revealed to me by a deva of the evil realm. So you know it’s genuine :tongue:

Buddha - just means “good buddy”

Cheers 🧐 Pondera
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

It seems as if it did exist at least in spiritual/samana circles. The term arahant was around as well. "The blessed one is an arahant, a buddha.." To me this is a strong indication that the idea of person being "awake" as a form of enlightenment existed outside of the early Buddhist community or was known inside of the samana community at least. Buddha just means "awakened one" in the pali language, so it may have been immediately understandable to any person. We just don't know for sure-- 2500 years is a long time.
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Viachh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:58 pm Did the word buddha exist in everyday language at the time of the Buddha or was this word invented by the Buddha as a neologism?
yes, it exists in Vedas etc., so before the Buddha. In Sanskrit outside Buddhism and other spiritual traditions and in modern Hindi it simply means "wise one".
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

From the Sela Sutta
Now at that time Keṇiya of the Dreadlocked Hair had confidence in the brahmin Sela. Then Sela accompanied by his three hundred students were out for a walk, and they came to the hermitage of Keṇiya. Sela saw the activity in the hermitage and said to Keṇiya, “Master Keṇiya, are your son or daughter being married, or are you preparing a great sacrifice, or have you invited Seniya Bimbisāra, king of Magadha, tomorrow together with his army?”

“No, Sela, there is no marriage, nor has the king been invited. However I am preparing a great sacrifice. There is this ascetic Gotama, who has gone forth from the Sakyan clan, and he has arrived at Āpaṇa together with a great Saṅgha of bhikkhus. Now an excellent report has spread to this effect: ‘The Radiant One is an Arahant, fully Awakened, perfect in true knowledge and conduct, whose going is auspicious, knower of worlds, incomparable leader of people to be famed, Teacher of devas and humanity, Awakened and Radiant.’ I have invited him for the meal tomorrow together with the Saṅgha of bhikkhus.”

“Keṇiya, did you say ‘Awakened’?”

“Yes, Sela, I said ‘Awakened’!”

“Keṇiya, did you say ‘Awakened’?”

“Yes, Sela, I said ‘Awakened’!”

Then it occurred to the brahmin Sela: “It is hard to even hear the word ‘Awakened’ in the world today.
https://suttacentral.net/snp3.7/en/mills-sujato
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)