Catalogues of kāmo/kāmā/kāmaguṇā

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
waryoffolly

Catalogues of kāmo/kāmā/kāmaguṇā

Post by waryoffolly »

Kāmā, Kāmo, and Kāmaguṇā Catalogue

This catalogue will include three terms relating to 'sensual pleasures'. I searched over the more commonly used declensions of each of the terms.

Here's what I searched over:
For the singular of kāma, I searched 'kāmo' (nominative)
For the plural of kāma, I searched ' kāmā '/' kāmā,' (nominative/ablative), ' kāme ' (accusative or locative singular) , ' kāmehi ' (ablative/instrumental)
For kāmaguṇā I searched 'kāmaguṇ' and included all hits, in a compound or not since there weren't that many distinct compounds found.

I included compounds for kāmo because without doing so there are less than 10 hits!

Since there is some contention, at least on this forum, around these terms, I won't put a summary here with my opinion on what these words generally mean. It's not like my opinion is novel anyways!
waryoffolly

Re: Catalogues of kāmo/kāmā/kāmaguṇā

Post by waryoffolly »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kāmo (nominative singular)

1. Sung poetry by a bard
DN 21
Ah, then my desire was such a small thing, my sweet, with your curling wavy hair;
Appako vata me santo, kāmo vellitakesiyā;

DN 21
my darling, you’re the only one I’d wish for, so strong is the love I hold for you.
Tāhaṁ bhadde vareyyāhe, evaṁ kāmo daḷho mama.

-------------------------------------------------------
2. Poem gloss for the definition of Kāmo
SN 1.34
“The world’s pretty things aren’t sensual pleasures. Greedy intention is a person’s sensual pleasure. The world’s pretty things stay just as they are, but a wise one removes desire for them.
“Na te kāmā yāni citrāni loke, Saṅkapparāgo purisassa kāmo; Tiṭṭhanti citrāni tatheva loke, Athettha dhīrā vinayanti chandaṁ.

AN 6.63
Same as SN 1.34 BUT includes an extra Saṅkapparāgo purisassa kāmo at the beginning of the poem.

{SN 1.34, AN 6.63}

3. Diversity of sensual pleasures
AN 6.63
And what is the diversity of sensual pleasures? The sensual desire for sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and touches are all different. This is called the diversity of sensual pleasures.
Katamā ca, bhikkhave, kāmānaṁ vemattatā? Añño, bhikkhave, kāmo rūpesu, añño kāmo saddesu, añño kāmo gandhesu, añño kāmo rasesu, añño kāmo phoṭṭhabbesu. Ayaṁ vuccati, bhikkhave, kāmānaṁ vemattatā.

4. King wanting the son of his beloved queen to be next in line for the throne.
DN 3
Once upon a time, King Okkāka, wishing to divert the royal succession to the son of his most beloved queen, banished the elder princes from the realm—
Bhūtapubbaṁ, ambaṭṭha, rājā okkāko yā sā mahesī piyā manāpā, tassā puttassa rajjaṁ pariṇāmetukāmo jeṭṭhakumāre raṭṭhasmā pabbājesi—

5. Person wanting to cross over the shore
DN 13
Then along comes a person who wants to cross over to the far shore.
Atha puriso āgaccheyya pāratthiko pāragavesī pāragāmī pāraṁ taritukāmo.

{DN 13, AN 4.196}

5. The venerable likes quiet
DN 9
The venerable likes quiet and praises quiet.
Appasaddakāmo kho so āyasmā appasaddassa vaṇṇavādī.
{DN 25, DN 9, MN 77, MN 79}

6. Person xyz wants to see you/ wanted to come and see someone / wanted to go somewhere/ wanted to turn around/ wanted to get out
DN 14
“Sirs, the Blessed One Vipassī, the perfected one, the fully awakened Buddha, has arrived at Bandhumatī and is staying in the deer park named Sanctuary. He wishes to see you.”’
vipassī, bhante, bhagavā arahaṁ sammāsambuddho bandhumatiṁ rājadhāniṁ anuppatto kheme migadāye viharati, so tumhākaṁ dassanakāmo’ti.

{DN 14, DN 19, DN 21, MN 36, MN 56, MN 91, MN 107, SN 7.9, SN 7.15, SN 10.8, SN 22.87, SN 55.6, AN 3.42, AN 5.55, AN 7.68, AN 8.25, AN 8.26}

7. King wanted to invade another kingdom
DN 16
Now at that time King Ajātasattu Vedehiputta of Māgadha wanted to invade the Vajjis.
Tena kho pana samayena rājā māgadho ajātasattu vedehiputto vajjī abhiyātukāmo hoti.

{DN 16, AN 7.22}

8. Wanting to hear solutions/the teachings etc
DN 23
Nevertheless, I wanted to hear your various solutions to the problem, so I thought I’d oppose you in this way.
Api cāhaṁ imāni vicitrāni pañhāpaṭibhānāni sotukāmo evāhaṁ bhavantaṁ kassapaṁ paccanīkaṁ kātabbaṁ amaññissaṁ.

{DN 23, MN 56, AN 3.42, AN 7.68, AN 8.25, AN 8.26}

9. The Buddha wants people to give up their recitations/livelihood/etc.
DN 25
‘The ascetic Gotama speaks like this because he wants us to give up our recitation.’
‘uddesā no cāvetukāmo samaṇo gotamo evamāhā’ti.

10. Eager to understand, he asked questions
DN 30
“In olden days, in past lives, eager to understand, he asked questions.
“Pure puratthā purimāsu jātisu, Aññātukāmo paripucchitā ahu;

AN 5.165
Someone asks a question of another from stupidity and folly. Or they ask from wicked desires, being naturally full of desires. Or they ask in order to disparage. Or they ask wanting to understand. Or they ask with the thought,
Mandattā momūhattā paraṁ pañhaṁ pucchati, pāpiccho icchāpakato paraṁ pañhaṁ pucchati, paribhavaṁ paraṁ pañhaṁ pucchati, aññātukāmo paraṁ pañhaṁ pucchati, atha vā panevaṁcitto paraṁ pañhaṁ pucchati: Variant
{DN 30, AN 5.165}

11. Desiring the good, wellfare, comfort, and sanctuary of the people
DN 30
He desired the good, the welfare, the comfort, and sanctuary of the people, thinking
bahujanassa atthakāmo ahosi hitakāmo phāsukāmo yogakkhemakāmo:

{DN 30, MN 21, AN 6.62}

12. As one of the four floods
DN 33
Four floods: sensuality, existence, views, and ignorance.
“cattāro oghā -- kāmogho, bhavogho, diṭṭhogho, avijjogho.
[changed 'desire for rebirth' to existence]

AN 5.55
Those swept away by the flood of sensual pleasures,
Tesaṁ kāmoghavūḷhānaṁ,

{DN 3, DN 34, SN 35.238, SN 38.11, SN 45.172, SN 46.121-128}

13. A monk loves the teachings
DN 33
Furthermore, a mendicant loves the teachings and is a delight to converse with, being full of joy in the teaching and training.
Puna caparaṁ, āvuso, bhikkhu dhammakāmo hoti piyasamudāhāro, abhidhamme abhivinaye uḷārapāmojjo

{DN 33, DN 34, AN 10.17, AN 10.18, AN 10.50, AN 10.98, AN 11.14}

14. Desire to harm, injure, and threaten
MN 19
Then along comes a person who wants to harm, injure, and threaten them.
Tassa kocideva puriso uppajjeyya anatthakāmo ahitakāmo ayogakkhemakāmo.

{MN 19, SN 22.85}

15. Sights not desired
MN 20
Suppose there was a person with good eyesight, and some undesirable sights came into their range of vision.
Seyyathāpi, bhikkhave, cakkhumā puriso āpāthagatānaṁ rūpānaṁ adassanakāmo assa;

16. Desire to discredit the teaching
MN 36
He wants to discredit the Buddha, the teaching, and the Saṅgha.
Eso kho, bhante, avaṇṇakāmo buddhassa, avaṇṇakāmo dhammassa, avaṇṇakāmo saṅghassa.

17. A man desiring to live and not die
MN 46
Then a man would come along who wants to live and doesn’t want to die, who wants to be happy and recoils from pain.
Atha puriso āgaccheyya jīvitukāmo amaritukāmo sukhakāmo dukkhappaṭikūlo.

{MN 46, MN 54, MN 105, SN 12.63, SN 35.238, SN 35.244, SN 47.20, SN 55.7}

18. Want to act with the body
MN 61
When you want to act with the body, you should check on that same deed:
Yadeva tvaṁ, rāhula, kāyena kammaṁ kattukāmo ahosi, tadeva te kāyakammaṁ paccavekkhitabbaṁ:

19. Desire to get out of somewhere
MN 91
He walks neither too fast nor too slow, without wanting to get out of there.
So nātisīghaṁ gacchati, nātisaṇikaṁ gacchati, na ca muccitukāmo gacchati;

20. Desire to build a dwelling
MN 94
“If you want to build me a dwelling, then build an assembly hall for the Saṅgha at Pāṭaliputta.”
“Sace kho me tvaṁ, brāhmaṇa, vihāraṁ, kārāpetukāmo, pāṭaliputte saṅghassa upaṭṭhānasālaṁ kārāpehī”ti.

21. One who loves themself
SN 3.8
so one who loves themselves would harm no other.”
Tasmā na hiṁse paramattakāmo”ti.

22. Mara desiring to scare the Buddha/someone
SN 4.2
Then Māra the Wicked, wanting to make the Buddha feel fear, terror, and goosebumps, manifested in the form of a huge elephant king and approached him.
Atha kho māro pāpimā bhagavato bhayaṁ chambhitattaṁ lomahaṁsaṁ uppādetukāmo mahantaṁ hatthirājavaṇṇaṁ abhinimminitvā yena bhagavā tenupasaṅkami.
{SN 4.2, SN 4.3, SN 4.6, SN 4.11, SN 5.1, SN 5.2, SN 5.3, SN 5.4, SN 5.5, SN 5.9, SN 5.10}

23. Entered the woods desiring seclusion
SN 9.1
“You entered the woods desiring seclusion,
“Vivekakāmosi vanaṁ paviṭṭho,

24. Monk wanting/wants to train
SN 16.8
‘Welcome, mendicant! What is this mendicant’s name? This mendicant is good-natured; he really wants to train. Please, mendicant, take a seat.’
‘ehi, bhikkhu, ko nāmāyaṁ bhikkhu, bhaddako vatāyaṁ bhikkhu, sikkhākāmo vatāyaṁ bhikkhu; ehi, bhikkhu, idaṁ āsanaṁ nisīdāhī’ti.

{SN 16.8, AN 3.92 [negated], AN 10.87, AN 10.101}

25. Monk likes the other monks
SN 16.8
‘Welcome, mendicant! What is this mendicant’s name? This mendicant is good-natured; he really likes his fellow monks. Please, mendicant, take a seat.’
‘ehi, bhikkhu, ko nāmāyaṁ bhikkhu, bhaddako vatāyaṁ bhikkhu, sabrahmacārikāmo vatāyaṁ bhikkhu; ehi, bhikkhu, idaṁ āsanaṁ nisīdāhī’ti.

26. Buddha wants to dwell alone
SN 22.81
Ānanda said, “Reverend, when the Buddha leaves like this it means he wants to stay alone.
“Yasmiṁ, āvuso, ekova bhagavā tasmiṁ samaye viharitukāmo hoti

27. Farmer wanting to plant seeds
SN 42.7
What do you think? When that farmer wants to plant seeds, where would he plant them first: the good field, the average one, or the poor one?”
Taṁ kiṁ maññasi, gāmaṇi, asu kassako gahapati bījāni patiṭṭhāpetukāmo kattha paṭhamaṁ patiṭṭhāpeyya, yaṁ vā aduṁ khettaṁ aggaṁ, yaṁ vā aduṁ khettaṁ majjhimaṁ, yaṁ vā aduṁ khettaṁ hīnaṁ jaṅgalaṁ ūsaraṁ pāpabhūmī”ti?

28. Wanting to make/put out a fire
SN 46.53
Suppose someone wanted to make a small fire flare up.
Seyyathāpi, bhikkhave, puriso parittaṁ aggiṁ ujjāletukāmo assa.
[also later on putting out the fire]

AN 4.747
‘Sir, I want to kindle the sacrificial fire and raise the sacrificial post.
‘ahañhi, bhante, aggiṁ ādātukāmo, yūpaṁ ussāpetukāmo
{SN 46.53, AN 4.747}

29. One who wants merit
SN 55.43
“One who desires merit, grounded in the skillful,
“Yo puññakāmo kusale patiṭṭhito,

30. Wants to hold a discussion
AN 3.67
If an astute person wants to hold a discussion
Sace cassa kathākāmo,

31. Bad monk desires material possesions, honor, and admiration
AN 4.243
Furthermore, a bad monk desires material possessions, honor, and admiration.
Puna caparaṁ, ānanda, pāpabhikkhu lābhakāmo hoti sakkārakāmo anavaññattikāmo.

{AN 4.243, AN 7.1, AN 7.2, AN 8.3, AN 8.4}

32. Monk wants to live long/be attractive/famous/etc
AN 5.43
A noble disciple who wants to live long ought not pray for it, or hope for it, or pine for it.
Na kho, gahapati, arahati ariyasāvako āyukāmo āyuṁ āyācituṁ vā abhinandituṁ vā āyussa vāpi hetu.

33. Wanted to commence the rains residence
AN 11.13
Now at that time the Buddha wanted to commence the rains residence at Sāvatthī.
Tena kho pana samayena bhagavā sāvatthiyaṁ vassāvāsaṁ upagantukāmo hoti.
waryoffolly

Post by waryoffolly »

Kāmā (nominative plural)

1. Sensual pleasures are anicca/dukkha
DN 1
Because sensual pleasures are impermanent, suffering, and perishable. Their decay and perishing give rise to sorrow, lamentation, pain, sadness, and distress.
Kāmā hi, bho, aniccā dukkhā vipariṇāmadhammā, tesaṁ vipariṇāmaññathābhāvā uppajjanti sokaparidevadukkhadomanassupāyāsā.

MN 106
“Mendicants, sensual pleasures are impermanent, hollow, false, and deceptive,
“Aniccā, bhikkhave, kāmā tucchā musā mosadhammā.

{DN 1, MN 106, AN 4.185}

2. Sensual pleasures like a pit of glowing coals/skeleton/vulture with lump of meat/various other similes
DN 34
Furthermore, a mendicant with defilements ended has clearly seen with right wisdom that sensual pleasures are truly like a pit of glowing coals.
Puna caparaṁ, āvuso, khīṇāsavassa bhikkhuno aṅgārakāsūpamā kāmā yathābhūtaṁ sammappaññāya sudiṭṭhā honti.

SN 35.244
In the same way, when a mendicant has seen sensual pleasures as like a pit of glowing coals, they have no underlying tendency for desire, affection, infatuation, and passion for sensual pleasures.
Evameva kho, bhikkhave, bhikkhuno aṅgārakāsūpamā kāmā diṭṭhā honti, yathāssa kāme passato, yo kāmesu kāmacchando kāmasneho kāmamucchā kāmapariḷāho, so nānuseti.

{DN 34, MN 22, MN 54, SN 35.244, AN 8.28, AN 10.90}

3. Sensual pleasures are full of drawbacks
MN 14
Sensual pleasures give little gratification and much suffering and distress, and they are all the more full of drawbacks.
‘Appassādā kāmā bahudukkhā bahupāyāsā, ādīnavo ettha bhiyyo’ti—

SN 4.21
For the Buddha says that sensual pleasures take effect over time; they give much suffering and distress, and they are all the more full of drawbacks.
Kālikā hi, brāhmaṇa, kāmā vuttā bhagavatā bahudukkhā bahupāyāsā, ādīnavo ettha bhiyyo.

{MN 14, MN 22, SN 1.20, SN 4.21, AN 5.76}

4. Heavenly Sensual pleasures are better than human Sensual pleasures
MN 75
Because heavenly sensual pleasures are better than human sensual pleasures.”
Mānusakehi, bho gotama, kāmehi dibbakāmā abhikkantatarā ca paṇītatarā cā”ti.

SN 1.34
Standing to one side, one deity recited this verse in the Buddha’s presence: “Among humans there are no sensual pleasures that are permanent.
Ekamantaṁ ṭhitā kho ekā devatā bhagavato santike imaṁ gāthaṁ abhāsi: “Na santi kāmā manujesu niccā,

DN 26
I have enjoyed human pleasures. Now it is time for me to seek heavenly pleasures.
Bhuttā kho pana me mānusakā kāmā, samayo dāni me dibbe kāme pariyesituṁ.

{MN 75, SN 1.34, SN 55.54, DN 26}

5. Sensual pleasures ofthe past/future/and present are painful and burning
MN 75
“In the same way, sensual pleasures of the past, future, and present are painful to touch, fiercely burning and scorching.
“Evameva kho, māgaṇḍiya, atītampi addhānaṁ kāmā dukkhasamphassā ceva mahābhitāpā ca mahāpariḷāhā ca, anāgatampi addhānaṁ kāmā dukkhasamphassā ceva mahābhitāpā ca mahāpariḷāhā ca, etarahipi paccuppannaṁ addhānaṁ kāmā dukkhasamphassā ceva mahābhitāpā ca mahāpariḷāhā ca.

6. Hard for a student in a different teaching to understand Sensual pleasures
MN 80
“Kaccāna, it’s hard for you, who has a different view, creed, preference, practice, and teacher’s doctrine, to understand the senses, sensual pleasure, and the best kind of sensual pleasure.
“dujjānaṁ kho etaṁ, kaccāna, tayā aññadiṭṭhikena aññakhantikena aññarucikena aññatrayogena aññatrācariyakena— kāmā vā kāmasukhaṁ vā kāmaggasukhaṁ vā.
[This is a debatable translation]

7. Same poem gloss as Kāmo, see Kāmo usage 2

8. Sensual pleasures that are loved will leave me
AN 4.184
‘The sensual pleasures that I love so much will leave me, and I’ll leave them.’They don’t sorrow and wail and lament, beating their breast and falling into confusion.
‘piyā vata maṁ kāmā jahissanti, piye cāhaṁ kāme jahissāmī’ti. So na socati na kilamati na paridevati, na urattāḷiṁ kandati, na sammohaṁ āpajjati.

9. Young person can get what sensual pleasures they want
AN 5.7
“Mendicants, sentient beings are mostly charmed by sensual pleasures. When a gentleman has abandoned the scythe and flail and gone forth from the lay life to homelessness, they’re qualified to be called ‘a faithful renunciate from a good family’. Why is that? Because a youth can get sensual pleasures of this kind or that. Now, all sensual pleasures are just reckoned as ‘sensual pleasures’, regardless of whether they’re inferior, average, or superior.
“Yebhuyyena, bhikkhave, sattā kāmesu laḷitā.Asitabyābhaṅgiṁ, bhikkhave, kulaputto ohāya agārasmā anagāriyaṁ pabbajito hoti, ‘saddhāpabbajito kulaputto’ti alaṁvacanāya. Taṁ kissa hetu? Labbhā, bhikkhave, yobbanena kāmā te ca kho yādisā vā tādisā vā. Ye ca, bhikkhave, hīnā kāmā ye ca majjhimā kāmā ye ca paṇītā kāmā, sabbe kāmā ‘kāmā’tveva saṅkhaṁ gacchanti.

10. As danger/suffering/disease/boil/chains/bogs
AN 6.23
Danger, suffering, disease, boils, and chains and bogs both. These describe the sensual pleasures
Bhayaṁ dukkhaṁ rogo gaṇḍo, saṅgo paṅko ca ubhayaṁ; Ete kāmā pavuccanti,

{AN 6.23, AN 8.56}

11. Not sensual pleasures, these are called kamaguna
AN 6.63
[insert kamaguna formula here]
However, these are not sensual pleasures. In the training of the Noble One they’re called ‘kinds of sensual stimulation’.
Api ca kho, bhikkhave, nete kāmā kāmaguṇā nāmete ariyassa vinaye vuccanti

12. Sensual pleasures cease in the first jhana
AN 9.33
Where sensual pleasures cease, and those who have thoroughly ended sensual pleasures meditate, I say: ‘Clearly those venerables are desireless, extinguished, crossed over, and gone beyond in that respect.’ If someone should say, ‘I do not know or see where sensual pleasures cease’, they should be told: ‘Reverend, it’s when a mendicant, quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unskillful qualities, enters and remains in the first absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of seclusion, while placing the mind and keeping it connected.
Yattha kāmā nirujjhanti, ye ca kāme nirodhetvā nirodhetvā viharanti, ‘addhā te āyasmanto nicchātā nibbutā tiṇṇā pāraṅgatā tadaṅgenā’ti vadāmi. ‘Kattha kāmā nirujjhanti, ke ca kāme nirodhetvā nirodhetvā viharanti—ahametaṁ na jānāmi ahametaṁ na passāmī’ti, iti yo evaṁ vadeyya, so evamassa vacanīyo: ‘idhāvuso, bhikkhu vivicceva kāmehi vivicca akusalehi dhammehi savitakkaṁ savicāraṁ vivekajaṁ pītisukhaṁ paṭhamaṁ jhānaṁ upasampajja viharati.

13. Mara trying to tempt a bhikkhuni with sensual pleasures
SN 5.1
“There’s no escape in the world, so what will seclusion do for you? Enjoy the delights of sensual pleasure;don’t regret it later.”
kiṁ vivekena kāhasi; “Natthi nissaraṇaṁ loke, Bhuñjassu kāmaratiyo, māhu pacchānutāpinī”ti.
waryoffolly

Post by waryoffolly »

Kāme (accusative plural, or locative singular)

1. Being attached to sense desire
DN 21
When scolded by Gopaka, two of those gods in that very life gained mindfulness leading to the host of Brahmā’s Ministers. But one god remained attached to sensuality.
Tesaṁ, bhante, gopakena devaputtena paṭicoditānaṁ dve devā diṭṭheva dhamme satiṁ paṭilabhiṁsu kāyaṁ brahmapurohitaṁ, eko pana devo kāme ajjhāvasi.

2. Seeking sensual pleasures
DN 26
I have enjoyed human pleasures. Now it is time for me to seek heavenly pleasures.
Bhuttā kho pana me mānusakā kāmā, samayo dāni me dibbe kāme pariyesituṁ.

{DN 26, MN 83}

3. Storing up sensual pleasures
DN 29
A mendicant with defilements ended can’t deliberately take the life of a living creature, take something with the intention to steal, have sex, tell a deliberate lie, or store up goods [sensual pleasures] for their own enjoyment like they did as a lay person. And they can’t make decisions prejudiced by favoritism, hostility, stupidity, or cowardice.
Abhabbo, āvuso, khīṇāsavo bhikkhu sañcicca pāṇaṁ jīvitā voropetuṁ; abhabbo khīṇāsavo bhikkhu adinnaṁ theyyasaṅkhātaṁ ādiyituṁ; abhabbo khīṇāsavo bhikkhu methunaṁ dhammaṁ paṭisevituṁ; abhabbo khīṇāsavo bhikkhu sampajānamusā bhāsituṁ; abhabbo khīṇāsavo bhikkhu sannidhikārakaṁ kāme paribhuñjituṁ, seyyathāpi pubbe āgārikabhūto; abhabbo khīṇāsavo bhikkhu chandāgatiṁ gantuṁ; abhabbo khīṇāsavo bhikkhu dosāgatiṁ gantuṁ; abhabbo khīṇāsavo bhikkhu mohāgatiṁ gantuṁ; abhabbo khīṇāsavo bhikkhu bhayāgatiṁ gantuṁ.

{DN 29, DN 33, MN 76, AN 9.7, AN 9.8}

4. Focusing on sensual pleasures
DN 33
Take a case where a mendicant focuses on sensual pleasures, but their mind isn’t eager, confident, settled, and decided about them.
Idhāvuso, bhikkhuno kāme manasikaroto kāmesu cittaṁ na pakkhandati na pasīdati na santiṭṭhati na vimuccati.

5. Practicing to fully understand/having understood sensual pleasures
MN 13
There are ascetics and brahmins who don’t truly understand sensual pleasures’ gratification, drawback, and escape in this way for what they are. It’s impossible for them to completely understand sensual pleasures themselves, or to instruct another so that, practicing accordingly, they will completely understand sensual pleasures.
Ye hi keci, bhikkhave, samaṇā vā brāhmaṇā vā evaṁ kāmānaṁ assādañca assādato ādīnavañca ādīnavato nissaraṇañca nissaraṇato yathābhūtaṁ nappajānanti te vata sāmaṁ vā kāme parijānissanti, paraṁ vā tathattāya samādapessanti yathā paṭipanno kāme parijānissatīti—netaṁ ṭhānaṁ vijjati.

AN 4.10
But those who completely understand sensual pleasures, and the attachment to all future lives;
ye ca kāme pariññāya, bhavayogañca sabbaso.

{MN 13, AN 4.10, AN 5.55}

6. Enjoying/indulging in sensual pleasures
MN 14
For if you had given up that quality you would not still be living at home and enjoying sensual pleasures.
So ca hi te, mahānāma, dhammo ajjhattaṁ pahīno abhavissa, na tvaṁ agāraṁ ajjhāvaseyyāsi, na kāme paribhuñjeyyāsi.

MN 47
Is the reason they don’t indulge in sensual pleasures that they’re free of greed because greed has ended?’
vītarāgattā kāme na sevati khayā rāgassā’ti?

MN 82
While enjoying sensual pleasures, delight in making merit. We don’t allow you to go forth.
bhuñjanto pivanto paricārento kāme paribhuñjanto puññāni karonto abhiramassu. Na taṁ mayaṁ anujānāma agārasmā anagāriyaṁ pabbajjāya.
[a layperson's parents prohibiting ordination]

{MN 14, MN 47.NM 68, MN 75}

7. Free/not free of greed etc for sensual pleasures
MN 16
Firstly, a mendicant isn’t free of greed, desire, fondness, thirst, passion, and craving for sensual pleasures.
Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu kāme avītarāgo hoti avigatacchando avigatapemo avigatapipāso avigatapariḷāho avigatataṇho.

8. Can't perform sensual acts without sensual pleasures, perceptions and thoughts.
MN 22
Truly, mendicants, it’s not possible to perform sensual acts without sensual pleasures, sensual perceptions, and sensual thoughts.
So vata, bhikkhave, aññatreva kāmehi aññatra kāmasaññāya aññatra kāmavitakkehi kāme paṭisevissatīti—netaṁ ṭhānaṁ vijjati.

9. Yearning for sensual pleasures
MN 82
yearning for ever more sensual pleasures.
Bhiyyova kāme abhipatthayanti.

10. Can't understand sensual pleasures while dwelling amidst then and enjoying them.
MN 125
Prince Jayasena dwells in the midst of sensual pleasures, enjoying them, consumed by thoughts of them, burning with fever for them, and eagerly seeking more. It’s simply impossible for him to know or see or realize what can only be known, seen, and realized by renunciation.
Yaṁ taṁ nekkhammena ñātabbaṁ nekkhammena daṭṭhabbaṁ nekkhammena pattabbaṁ nekkhammena sacchikātabbaṁ taṁ vata jayaseno rājakumāro kāmamajjhe vasanto kāme paribhuñjanto kāmavitakkehi khajjamāno kāmapariḷāhena pariḍayhamāno kāmapariyesanāya ussuko ñassati vā dakkhati vā sacchi vā karissatī’ti—netaṁ ṭhānaṁ vijjati.

{MN 125, AN 2.33-42}

[Looks like I skipped the number 11, oops. I double checked though, and it doesn't look like I accidentally deleted any usages between MN 125 and SN 1.20, just skipped the number.]
12. Having given up/left behind/abandoned sensual pleasures
SN 1.20
Having given up sensual pleasures, mindful and aware,
Kāme pahāya satimā sampajāno,

SN 10.5
But someone who has given up sensual pleasures
Yo ca kāme cajitvāna,

SN 45.34
having left behind sensual pleasures.
hitvā kāme akiñcano;

SN 46.39
In the same way, take a certain gentleman who has gone forth from the lay life to homelessness, abandoning sensual pleasures. But beset by sensual pleasures that are similar, or even worse, he breaks apart, collapses, and falls.
Evameva kho, bhikkhave, idhekacco kulaputto yādisake kāme ohāya agārasmā anagāriyaṁ pabbajito hoti, so tādisakehi kāmehi tato vā pāpiṭṭhatarehi obhaggavibhaggo vipatito seti.

{SN 1.20, SN 1.40, SN 10.5, SN 45.34, SN 46.17, SN 46.39, AN 3.40, AN 10.117, AN 10.118, AN 10.169, AN 10.170}

13. Dispel sensual pleasures
SN 2.8
Dispel sensual pleasures, brahmin. A sage who doesn’t give up sensual pleasures is not reborn in a unified state.
kāme panuda brāhmaṇa; Nappahāya munī kāme nekattamupapajjati.

14. Seen sensual pleasures in a way that abadons the underlying tendency for desire to them
SN 35.244
“Mendicants, when a mendicant truly understands the origin and ending of all things that entail suffering, then they’ve seen sensual pleasures in such a way that they have no underlying tendency for desire, affection, infatuation, and passion for sensual pleasures.
“Yato kho, bhikkhave, bhikkhu sabbesaṁyeva dukkhadhammānaṁ samudayañca atthaṅgamañca yathābhūtaṁ pajānāti. Tathā kho panassa kāmā diṭṭhā honti, yathāssa kāme passato, yo kāmesu kāmacchando kāmasneho kāmamucchā kāmapariḷāho, so nānuseti.

15. Takes part in sensual pleasures and does bad deeds

AN 4.5
It’s a person who takes part in sensual pleasures and does bad deeds.
Idha, bhikkhave, ekacco puggalo kāme ca paṭisevati, pāpañca kammaṁ karoti.

16. Sensual pleasures that I love will leave me
AN 4.184
‘The sensual pleasures that I love so much will leave me, and I’ll leave them.’
‘piyā vata maṁ kāmā jahissanti, piye cāhaṁ kāme jahissāmī’ti.

17. Swept away by sensual pleasures, not comprehending them.
AN 5.55
Those swept away by the flood of sensual pleasures, not comprehending them,
Tesaṁ kāmoghavūḷhānaṁ, kāme aparijānataṁ;

18. Noble disciple knows about sensual pleasures, their source, diveresity, result, and cessation
AN 6.63
When a noble disciple understands sensual pleasures in this way—and understands their source, diversity, result, cessation, and the practice that leads to their cessation—they understand that this penetrative spiritual life is the cessation of sensual pleasures.
Yato kho, bhikkhave, ariyasāvako evaṁ kāme pajānāti, evaṁ kāmānaṁ nidānasambhavaṁ pajānāti, evaṁ kāmānaṁ vemattataṁ pajānāti, evaṁ kāmānaṁ vipākaṁ pajānāti, evaṁ kāmanirodhaṁ pajānāti, evaṁ kāmanirodhagāminiṁ paṭipadaṁ pajānāti, so imaṁ nibbedhikaṁ brahmacariyaṁ pajānāti kāmanirodhaṁ.

19. Throughly ended sensual pleasures
AN 9.33
Where sensual pleasures cease, and those who have thoroughly ended sensual pleasures meditate, I say: ‘Clearly those venerables are desireless, extinguished, crossed over, and gone beyond in that respect.’
Yattha kāmā nirujjhanti, ye ca kāme nirodhetvā nirodhetvā viharanti, ‘addhā te āyasmanto nicchātā nibbutā tiṇṇā pāraṅgatā tadaṅgenā’ti vadāmi.

20. Sensual pleasures cease in first jhana
AN 9.33
‘Reverend, it’s when a mendicant, quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unskillful qualities, enters and remains in the first absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of seclusion, while placing the mind and keeping it connected. . That’s where sensual pleasures cease.’
‘idhāvuso, bhikkhu vivicceva kāmehi vivicca akusalehi dhammehi savitakkaṁ savicāraṁ vivekajaṁ pītisukhaṁ paṭhamaṁ jhānaṁ upasampajja viharati Ettha kāmā nirujjhanti, te ca kāme nirodhetvā nirodhetvā viharantī’ti.
waryoffolly

Post by waryoffolly »

Kāmehi (ablative/instrumental plural)

1. First jhana formula (majority of hits)
DN 1
Quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unskillful qualities, he enters and remains in the first jhana, which has the rapture and bliss born of seclusion, with vitakka and vicara.
vivicceva kāmehi vivicca akusalehi dhammehi savitakkaṃ savicāraṃ vivekajaṃ pītisukhaṃ paṭhamaṃ jhānaṃ upasampajja viharati
[replaced controversial translations with the pali]

{DN 1, DN 10, DN 17, DN 22, DN 26, DN 29, DN 33, DN 34, MN 4, MN 8, MN 10, MN 13, MN 19, MN 25, MN 26, MN 27, MN 30, MN 31, MN 36, MN 38, MN 39, MN 43, MN 44, MN 45, MN 51, MN 52, MN 53, MN 59, MN 60, MN 64, MN 65, MN 66, MN 76, MN 77, MN 78, MN 79, MN 85, MN 94, MN 99, MN 100, MN 101, MN 107, MN 108, MN 111, MN 112, MN 113, MN 119, MN 122, MN 138, MN 139, MN 141, SN 16.9, SN 16.10, SN 16.11, SN 28.1, SN 36.19, SN 36.31, SN 40.1, SN 41.8, SN 41.9, SN 45.8, SN 48.10, SN 48.40, SN 53.1-12, SN 53.13-22, SN 54.8, AN 3.59, AN 3.60, AN 3.64, AN 3.74 [labelled as sekho samadhi], AN 3.75, AN 3.90, AN 3.91, AN 3.95, AN 4.123, AN 4.124, AN 4.163, AN 4.169, AN 4.190, AN 4.194, AN 4.198, AN 4.200, AN 4.246, AN 5.14, AN 5.28, AN 5.75, AN 5.76, AN 5.94, AN 5.192, AN 6.29, AN 6.60, AN 7.4, AN 7.53, AN 7.67, AN 7.69, AN 8.11, AN 8.30, AN 9.33, AN 9.34, AN 9.35, AN 9.36, AN 9.38, AN 9.39, AN 9.40, AN 9.41, AN 9.42, AN 9.43, AN 9.44, AN 9.45, AN 9.46, AN 9.47, AN 9.51, AN 9.52, AN 9.61, AN 10.99, AN 11.16}

2. Someone who lives mixed up in sense desires and unskillful qualities, but then hears the teachings
DN 18
First, take someone who lives mixed up with sensual pleasures and unskillful qualities. After some time they hear the teaching of the noble ones, properly attend to how it applies to them, and practice accordingly. They live aloof from sensual pleasures and unskillful qualities. That gives rise to pleasure, and more than pleasure, happiness, like the joy that’s born from gladness.
Idha bho ekacco saṁsaṭṭho viharati kāmehi saṁsaṭṭho akusalehi dhammehi. So aparena samayena ariyadhammaṁ suṇāti, yoniso manasi karoti, dhammānudhammaṁ paṭipajjati. So ariyadhammassavanaṁ āgamma yonisomanasikāraṁ dhammānudhammappaṭipattiṁ asaṁsaṭṭho viharati kāmehi asaṁsaṭṭho akusalehi dhammehi. Tassa asaṁsaṭṭhassa kāmehi asaṁsaṭṭhassa akusalehi dhammehi uppajjati sukhaṁ, sukhā bhiyyo somanassaṁ. Seyyathāpi, bho, pamudā pāmojjaṁ jāyetha; evameva kho, bho, asaṁsaṭṭhassa kāmehi asaṁsaṭṭhassa akusalehi dhammehi uppajjati sukhaṁ, sukhā bhiyyo somanassaṁ.

3. Blessed with heavenly sense pleasures
DN 21
blessed with heavenly sensual pleasures.’
Dibbehi kāmehi samaṅgibhūto’;

4. Might return to sense pleasures if you don't have jhana
MN 14
Even though a noble disciple has clearly seen this with right wisdom, so long as they don’t achieve the rapture and bliss that are apart from sensual pleasures and unskillful qualities, or something even more peaceful than that, they might still return to sensual pleasures.
iti cepi, mahānāma, ariyasāvakassa yathābhūtaṁ sammappaññāya sudiṭṭhaṁ hoti, so ca aññatreva kāmehi aññatra akusalehi dhammehi pītisukhaṁ nādhigacchati, aññaṁ vā tato santataraṁ atha kho so neva tāva anāvaṭṭī kāmesu hoti.

5. Brahmin who lives detached from sensual pleasures
MN 18
“Sir, my teaching is such that one does not conflict with anyone in this world with its gods, Māras, and Brahmās, this population with its ascetics and brahmins, its gods and humans. And it is such that perceptions do not underlie the brahmin who lives detached from sensual pleasures, without doubting, stripped of worry, and rid of craving for rebirth in this or that state. That’s what I teach, and that’s what I explain.”
“Yathāvādī kho, āvuso, sadevake loke samārake sabrahmake sassamaṇabrāhmaṇiyā pajāya sadevamanussāya na kenaci loke viggayha tiṭṭhati, yathā ca pana kāmehi visaṁyuttaṁ viharantaṁ taṁ brāhmaṇaṁ akathaṅkathiṁ chinnakukkuccaṁ bhavābhave vītataṇhaṁ saññā nānusenti—evaṁvādī kho ahaṁ, āvuso, evamakkhāyī”ti.

6. Can't perform sensual acts without sensual pleasures, perceptions and thoughts.
MN 22
Truly, mendicants, it’s not possible to perform sensual acts without sensual pleasures, sensual perceptions, and sensual thoughts.
So vata, bhikkhave, aññatreva kāmehi aññatra kāmasaññāya aññatra kāmavitakkehi kāme paṭisevissatīti—netaṁ ṭhānaṁ vijjati.

7. Sensual pleasures make one incapable of knowledge and vision
MN 36
“In the same way, there are ascetics and brahmins who don’t live withdrawn in body and mind from sensual pleasures. They haven’t internally given up or stilled desire, affection, infatuation, thirst, and passion for sensual pleasures. Regardless of whether or not they feel painful, sharp, severe, acute feelings due to overexertion, they are incapable of knowledge and vision, of supreme awakening.
“Evameva kho, aggivessana, ye hi keci samaṇā vā brāhmaṇā vā kāyena ceva cittena ca kāmehi avūpakaṭṭhā viharanti, yo ca nesaṁ kāmesu kāmacchando kāmasneho kāmamucchā kāmapipāsā kāmapariḷāho, so ca ajjhattaṁ na suppahīno hoti, na suppaṭippassaddho, opakkamikā cepi te bhonto samaṇabrāhmaṇā dukkhā tibbā kharā kaṭukā vedanā vedayanti, abhabbāva te ñāṇāya dassanāya anuttarāya sambodhāya.

{MN 36, MN 85, MN 100}

8. Without first jhana, mind is occupied by hindrances, and with first jhana, the mind isn't occupied by the hindrances
MN 68
Take someone who doesn’t achieve the rapture and bliss that are secluded from sensual pleasures and unskillful qualities, or something even more peaceful than that. Their mind is still occupied by desire, ill will, dullness and drowsiness, restlessness and remorse, doubt, discontent, and sloth.
Vivekaṁ, anuruddhā, kāmehi vivekaṁ akusalehi dhammehi pītisukhaṁ nādhigacchati aññaṁ vā tato santataraṁ, tassa abhijjhāpi cittaṁ pariyādāya tiṭṭhati, byāpādopi cittaṁ pariyādāya tiṭṭhati, thinamiddhampi cittaṁ pariyādāya tiṭṭhati uddhaccakukkuccampi cittaṁ pariyādāya tiṭṭhati, vicikicchāpi cittaṁ pariyādāya tiṭṭhati, aratīpi cittaṁ pariyādāya tiṭṭhati, tandīpi cittaṁ pariyādāya tiṭṭhati
[repeated for someone who does achieve first jhana and therefore isn't occupied by the hindrances]

9. There is satisfaction apart from sense pleasures and unwholesome qualities which is as good as heaven.
MN 75
Because there is a satisfaction that is apart from sensual pleasures and unskillful qualities, which even achieves the level of heavenly pleasure. Enjoying that satisfaction, I don’t envy what is inferior, nor do I hope to enjoy it.
Yāhayaṁ, māgaṇḍiya, rati, aññatreva kāmehi aññatra akusalehi dhammehi—api dibbaṁ sukhaṁ samadhigayha tiṭṭhati— tāya ratiyā ramamāno hīnassa na pihemi, na tattha abhiramāmi.

10. Deva's wouldn't envy human sensual pleasures
MN 75
What do you think, Māgaṇḍiya? Would that god—amusing themselves in the Garden of Delight, escorted by a band of nymphs, supplied and provided with the five kinds of heavenly sensual stimulation—envy that householder or householder’s child their five kinds of human sensual stimulation, or return to human sensual pleasures?” “No, Master Gotama. Why is that? Because heavenly sensual pleasures are better than human sensual pleasures.”
Taṁ kiṁ maññasi, māgaṇḍiya, api nu so devaputto nandane vane accharāsaṅghaparivuto dibbehi pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappito samaṅgībhūto paricārayamāno amussa gahapatissa vā gahapatiputtassa vā piheyya, mānusakānaṁ vā pañcannaṁ kāmaguṇānaṁ mānusakehi vā kāmehi āvaṭṭeyyā”ti? “No hidaṁ, bho gotama. Taṁ kissa hetu? Mānusakehi, bho gotama, kāmehi dibbakāmā abhikkantatarā ca paṇītatarā cā”ti.

11. A saying about sensual pleasures
MN 80
So there is the saying: ‘From the senses comes sensual pleasure. From sensual pleasure comes the best kind of sensual pleasure, which is said to be the best thing there.’”
Iti kāmehi kāmasukhaṁ, kāmasukhā kāmaggasukhaṁ tattha aggamakkhāyatī”ti.
[The Buddha seems to be setting up a verbal trap here for a Brahmin]

12. Sensual pleasures never satisfy
MN 82
for in this world sensual pleasures never satisfy.
Kāmehi lokamhi na hatthi titti.
[part of a poem]

13. Why am I afraid of pleasure which has nothing to do with sensual pleasures or unskillful qualities?
MN 85
‘Why am I afraid of that pleasure, for it has nothing to do with sensual pleasures or unskillful qualities?’
‘kiṁ nu kho ahaṁ tassa sukhassa bhāyāmi yaṁ taṁ sukhaṁ aññatreva kāmehi aññatra akusalehi dhammehī’ti?

14. The piti which is apart from sensual pleasures is like a radiant fire without fuel
MN 99
“If it were possible for a fire to burn without depending on grass and logs as fuel, that would have better flames, color, and radiance.” “But it isn’t possible, except by psychic power. Rapture that depends on the five kinds of sensual stimulation is like a fire that depends on grass and logs as fuel. Rapture that’s apart from sensual pleasures and unskillful qualities is like a fire that doesn’t depend on grass and logs as fuel.
“Sace taṁ, bho gotama, ṭhānaṁ nissaṭṭhatiṇakaṭṭhupādānaṁ aggiṁ jāletuṁ, svāssa aggi accimā ceva vaṇṇavā ca pabhassaro cā”ti. “Aṭṭhānaṁ kho etaṁ, māṇava, anavakāso yaṁ nissaṭṭhatiṇakaṭṭhupādānaṁ aggiṁ jāleyya aññatra iddhimatā. Seyyathāpi, māṇava, tiṇakaṭṭhupādānaṁ paṭicca aggi jalati tathūpamāhaṁ, māṇava, imaṁ pītiṁ vadāmi yāyaṁ pīti pañca kāmaguṇe paṭicca. Seyyathāpi, māṇava, nissaṭṭhatiṇakaṭṭhupādāno aggi jalati tathūpamāhaṁ, māṇava, imaṁ pītiṁ vadāmi yāyaṁ pīti aññatreva kāmehi aññatra akusalehi dhammehi.

15. Rid of sensual pleasures
SN 22.3
Rid of sensual pleasures, expecting nothing,
Kāmehi ritto apurakkharāno,
[part of a poem from the octades]

SN 22.3
And how is one not rid of sensual pleasures?It’s when someone isn’t rid of greed, desire, fondness, thirst, passion, and craving for sensual pleasures.
Kathañca, gahapati, kāmehi aritto hoti? Idha, gahapati, ekacco kāmesu avigatarāgo hoti avigatacchando avigatapemo avigatapipāso avigatapariḷāho avigatataṇho.
[explanation of the above line from the octades]

16. Beset by sensual pleasures after going forth
SN 46.39
In the same way, take a certain gentleman who has gone forth from the lay life to homelessness, abandoning sensual pleasures. But beset by sensual pleasures that are similar, or even worse, he breaks apart, collapses, and falls.
Evameva kho, bhikkhave, idhekacco kulaputto yādisake kāme ohāya agārasmā anagāriyaṁ pabbajito hoti, so tādisakehi kāmehi tato vā pāpiṭṭhatarehi obhaggavibhaggo vipatito seti.

17. Sense pleasures in heaven are better, turn your mind towards the realm of the four great kings.
SN 55.54
‘Good sir, heavenly sensual pleasures are better than human sensual pleasures. It would be good to turn your mind away from human sensual pleasures and fix it on the gods of the Four Great Kings.’
‘mānusakehi kho, āvuso, kāmehi dibbā kāmā abhikkantatarā ca paṇītatarā ca. Sādhāyasmā, mānusakehi kāmehi cittaṁ vuṭṭhāpetvā cātumahārājikesu devesu cittaṁ adhimocehī’ti.

18. Delighting to renounce sensual pleasures
AN 6.43
Delighting to renounce sensual pleasures,he’s freed like gold from stone.
Kāmehi nekkhammarataṁ muttaṁ selāva kañcanaṁ.
waryoffolly

Post by waryoffolly »

Kāmaguṇā

1. The kamaguna are nibbana in this life (a false view)
DN 1
‘When this self amuses itself, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation, that’s how this self attains ultimate extinguishment in the present life.’
‘yato kho, bho, ayaṁ attā pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappito samaṅgībhūto paricāreti, ettāvatā kho, bho, ayaṁ attā paramadiṭṭhadhammanibbānaṁ patto hotī’ti.

2. Kings amusing themselves with the kamaguna
DN 2
For this King Ajātasattu is a human being, and so am I. Yet he amuses himself, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation as if he were a god.
Ayañhi rājā māgadho ajātasattu vedehiputto manusso; ahampi manusso. Ayañhi rājā māgadho ajātasattu vedehiputto pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappito samaṅgībhūto paricāreti, devo maññe.

DN 19
But after being anointed, King Reṇu amused himself, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation.
Abhisitto reṇu rajjena pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappito samaṅgībhūto paricāreti.

MN 82
These days you amuse yourself, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation. But is there any way to ensure that in the next life you will continue to amuse yourself in the same way, supplied and provided with the same five kinds of sensual stimulation? Or will others make use of this property, while you pass on according to your deeds?” “There’s no way to ensure that I will continue to amuse myself in the same way. Rather, others will take over this property, while I pass on according to my deeds.”
yathā tvaṁ etarahi pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappito samaṅgībhūto paricāresi, lacchasi tvaṁ paratthāpi: ‘evamevāhaṁ imeheva pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappito samaṅgībhūto paricāremī’ti, udāhu aññe imaṁ bhogaṁ paṭipajjissanti, tvaṁ pana yathākammaṁ gamissasī”ti? “Yathāhaṁ, bho raṭṭhapāla, etarahi pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappito samaṅgībhūto paricāremi, nāhaṁ lacchāmi paratthāpi: ‘evameva imeheva pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappito samaṅgībhūto paricāremī’ti. Atha kho aññe imaṁ bhogaṁ paṭipajjissanti; ahaṁ pana yathākammaṁ gamissāmī”ti.

SN 3.12
Now at that time five kings headed by Pasenadi were amusing themselves, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation, and this discussion came up among them: “What’s the best of sensual pleasures?”
Tena kho pana samayena pañcannaṁ rājūnaṁ pasenadipamukhānaṁ pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappitānaṁ samaṅgībhūtānaṁ paricārayamānānaṁ ayamantarākathā udapādi: “kiṁ nu kho kāmānaṁ aggan”ti?

{DN 2, DN 19, MN 82, SN 3.12}

3. Current tradition of Brahmins (during the time of the Buddha) enjoy the kamaguna
DN 3
According to what you have heard from elderly and senior brahmins, the teachers of teachers, did those ancient brahmin hermits— nicely bathed and anointed, with hair and beard dressed, bedecked with jewels, earrings, and bracelets, dressed in white—amuse themselves, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation, like you do today in your tradition?”
kinti te sutaṁ brāhmaṇānaṁ vuddhānaṁ mahallakānaṁ ācariyapācariyānaṁ bhāsamānānaṁ—ye te ahesuṁ brāhmaṇānaṁ pubbakā isayo mantānaṁ kattāro mantānaṁ pavattāro, yesamidaṁ etarahi brāhmaṇā porāṇaṁ mantapadaṁ gītaṁ pavuttaṁ samihitaṁ, tadanugāyanti tadanubhāsanti bhāsitamanubhāsanti vācitamanuvācenti, seyyathidaṁ—aṭṭhako vāmako vāmadevo vessāmitto yamataggi aṅgīraso bhāradvājo vāseṭṭho kassapo bhagu, evaṁ su te sunhātā suvilittā kappitakesamassū āmukkamaṇikuṇḍalābharaṇā odātavatthavasanā pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappitā samaṅgībhūtā paricārenti, seyyathāpi tvaṁ etarahi sācariyako”ti?

DN 13
The brahmins proficient in the three Vedas enjoy these five kinds of sensual stimulation tied, infatuated, attached, blind to the drawbacks, and not understanding the escape. So long as they enjoy them it’s impossible that they will, when the body breaks up, after death, be reborn in the company of Brahmā.
Ime kho, vāseṭṭha, pañca kāmaguṇe tevijjā brāhmaṇā gadhitā mucchitā ajjhopannā anādīnavadassāvino anissaraṇapaññā paribhuñjanti. Te vata, vāseṭṭha, tevijjā brāhmaṇā ye dhammā brāhmaṇakārakā, te dhamme pahāya vattamānā, ye dhammā abrāhmaṇakārakā, te dhamme samādāya vattamānā pañca kāmaguṇe gadhitā mucchitā ajjhopannā anādīnavadassāvino anissaraṇapaññā paribhuñjantā kāmandubandhanabaddhā kāyassa bhedā paraṁ maraṇā brahmānaṁ sahabyūpagā bhavissantīti, netaṁ ṭhānaṁ vijjati.
[Ajahn Sujato's translation here left out a chunk of repetition]

MN 26
There are ascetics and brahmins who enjoy these five kinds of sensual stimulation tied, infatuated, attached, blind to the drawbacks, and not understanding the escape. You should understand that they have met with calamity and disaster, and are vulnerable to the Wicked One. Suppose a deer in the wilderness was lying caught on a pile of snares. You’d know that it has met with calamity and disaster, and is vulnerable to the hunter.
Ye hi keci, bhikkhave, samaṇā vā brāhmaṇā vā ime pañca kāmaguṇe gathitā mucchitā ajjhopannā anādīnavadassāvino anissaraṇapaññā paribhuñjanti, te evamassu veditabbā: ‘anayamāpannā byasanamāpannā yathākāmakaraṇīyā pāpimato’ Seyyathāpi, bhikkhave, āraññako mago baddho pāsarāsiṁ adhisayeyya. So evamassa veditabbo: ‘anayamāpanno byasanamāpanno yathākāmakaraṇīyo luddassa.

{DN 3, DN 13, MN 26, MN 89}
4. Definition of kamaguna
DN 13
“In the same way, the five kinds of sensual stimulation are called ‘chains’ and ‘fetters’ in the training of the Noble One. What five? Sights known by the eye that are likable, desirable, agreeable, pleasant, sensual, and arousing. Sounds known by the ear … Smells known by the nose … Tastes known by the tongue … Touches known by the body that are likable, desirable, agreeable, pleasant, sensual, and arousing.
“Evameva kho, vāseṭṭha, pañcime kāmaguṇā ariyassa vinaye andūtipi vuccanti, bandhanantipi vuccanti. Katame pañca? Cakkhuviññeyyā rūpā iṭṭhā kantā manāpā piyarūpā kāmūpasaṁhitā rajanīyā.Sotaviññeyyā saddā …pe… ghānaviññeyyā gandhā … jivhāviññeyyā rasā … kāyaviññeyyā phoṭṭhabbā iṭṭhā kantā manāpā piyarūpā kāmūpasaṁhitā rajanīyā.

{DN 13, DN 33, MN 13, MN 14, MN 23, MN 26, MN 38, MN 59, MN 66, MN 75, MN 80, MN 99, MN 105, MN 122, MN 139, SN 36.19, SN 36.20, SN 36.31, SN 45.30, SN 45.177, SN 47.6, SN 47.7, AN 6.63, AN 9.34, AN 9.38, AN 9.42, AN 9.65, AN 10.99}

5. When a bodhisatta is in gestation their mother no longer feels sexual desire towards men/enjoys kamaguna
DN 14
It’s normal that, when the being intent on awakening is conceived in his mother’s belly, she no longer feels sexual desire for men, and she cannot be violated by a man of lustful intent. Dhammatā esā, bhikkhave, yadā bodhisatto mātukucchiṁ okkanto hoti, na bodhisattamātu purisesu mānasaṁ uppajjati kāmaguṇūpasaṁhitaṁ, anatikkamanīyā ca bodhisattamātā hoti kenaci purisena rattacittena.

DN 14
It’s normal that, when the being intent on awakening is conceived in his mother’s belly, she obtains the five kinds of sensual stimulation and amuses herself, supplied and provided with them. Dhammatā esā, bhikkhave, yadā bodhisatto mātukucchiṁ okkanto hoti, lābhinī bodhisattamātā hoti pañcannaṁ kāmaguṇānaṁ. Sā pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappitā samaṅgībhūtā paricāreti.

{DN 14, MN 123}
6. Kamaguna provided to Prince Vipassi
DN 14
Then King Bandhuma had three stilt longhouses built for him—one for the winter, one for the summer, and one for the rainy season, and provided him with the five kinds of sensual stimulation. Prince Vipassī stayed in a stilt longhouse without coming downstairs for the four months of the rainy season, where he was entertained by musicians—none of them men.
Atha kho, bhikkhave, bandhumā rājā vipassissa kumārassa tayo pāsāde kārāpesi, ekaṁ vassikaṁ ekaṁ hemantikaṁ ekaṁ gimhikaṁ; pañca kāmaguṇāni upaṭṭhāpesi. Tatra sudaṁ, bhikkhave, vipassī kumāro vassike pāsāde cattāro māse nippurisehi tūriyehi paricārayamāno na heṭṭhāpāsādaṁ orohatīti.

7. After rebirth in the 'fairy realm' monks enjoy the kamaguna
DN 21
Meanwhile three others, mendicants who had led the spiritual life under the Buddha, were reborn in the inferior fairy realm. There they amused themselves, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation, and became my servants and attendants.
Aññepi, bhante, tayo bhikkhū bhagavati brahmacariyaṁ caritvā hīnaṁ gandhabbakāyaṁ upapannā. Te pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappitā samaṅgībhūtā paricārayamānā amhākaṁ upaṭṭhānaṁ āgacchanti amhākaṁ pāricariyaṁ.

8. Recently reborn devas won't be able to come back and tell a king about the afterlife because they'll first enjoy kamaguna for a few days, but a few days in the deva realm is a loooong time.
DN 23
A hundred human years are equivalent to one day and night for the gods of the Thirty-Three. Thirty such days make a month, and twelve months make a year. The gods of the Thirty-Three have a lifespan of a thousand such years. Now, as to your friends who are reborn in the company of the gods of the Thirty-Three after doing good things. If they think, ‘First I’ll amuse myself for two or three days, supplied and provided with the five kinds of heavenly sensual stimulation. Then I’ll go back to Pāyāsi and tell him that there is an afterlife.’ Would they come back to tell you that there is an afterlife?” “No, Master Kassapa. For I would be long dead by then.
Yaṁ kho pana, rājañña, mānussakaṁ vassasataṁ, devānaṁ tāvatiṁsānaṁ eso eko rattindivo, tāya rattiyā tiṁsarattiyo māso, tena māsena dvādasamāsiyo saṁvaccharo, tena saṁvaccharena dibbaṁ vassasahassaṁ devānaṁ tāvatiṁsānaṁ āyuppamāṇaṁ Ye te mittāmaccā ñātisālohitā pāṇātipātā paṭiviratā adinnādānā paṭiviratā kāmesumicchācārā paṭiviratā musāvādā paṭiviratā surāmerayamajjapamādaṭṭhānā paṭiviratā, te kāyassa bhedā paraṁ maraṇā sugatiṁ saggaṁ lokaṁ upapannā devānaṁ tāvatiṁsānaṁ sahabyataṁ. Sace pana tesaṁ evaṁ bhavissati: ‘yāva mayaṁ dve vā tīṇi vā rattindivā dibbehi pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappitā samaṅgībhūtā paricārema, atha mayaṁ pāyāsissa rājaññassa gantvā āroceyyāma: “itipi atthi paro loko, atthi sattā opapātikā, atthi sukatadukkaṭānaṁ kammānaṁ phalaṁ vipāko”ti. Api nu te āgantvā āroceyyuṁ—itipi atthi paro loko, atthi sattā opapātikā, atthi sukatadukkaṭānaṁ kammānaṁ phalaṁ vipāko’”ti? “No hidaṁ, bho kassapa.For I would be long dead by then.
9. Cleaned man rescued from a sewer and set up with the kamaguna, wouldn't want to return to the sewer.
DN 23
Now that man is nicely bathed and anointed, with hair and beard dressed, bedecked with garlands and bracelets, dressed in white, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation upstairs in the royal longhouse. Would he want to dive back into that sewer again?”
api nu tassa purisassa sunhātassa suvilittassa sukappitakesamassussa āmukkamālābharaṇassa odātavatthavasanassa uparipāsādavaragatassa pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappitassa samaṅgībhūtassa paricārayamānassa punadeva tasmiṁ gūthakūpe nimujjitukāmatā assā”ti?

10. As an indulgence in pleasure
DN 29
Furthermore, someone amuses themselves, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation.
Puna caparaṁ, cunda, idhekacco pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappito samaṅgībhūto paricāreti.

11. Desiring to be reborn like an affluent person with the kamaguna
DN 33
They see an affluent aristocrat or brahmin or householder amusing themselves, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation. They think: ‘If only, when my body breaks up, after death, I would be reborn in the company of well-to-do aristocrats or brahmins or householders!’
So passati khattiyamahāsālaṁ vā brāhmaṇamahāsālaṁ vā gahapatimahāsālaṁ vā pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappitaṁ samaṅgībhūtaṁ paricārayamānaṁ. Tassa evaṁ hoti: ‘aho vatāhaṁ kāyassa bhedā paraṁ maraṇā khattiyamahāsālānaṁ vā brāhmaṇamahāsālānaṁ vā gahapatimahāsālānaṁ vā sahabyataṁ upapajjeyyan’ti.

12. As the enjoyment of sensual pleasures (Kāma)
MN 13
And what is the gratification of sensual pleasures? There are these five kinds of sensual stimulation. [insert usage 4 definition of kamaguna] The pleasure and happiness that arise from these five kinds of sensual stimulation: this is the gratification of sensual pleasures.
Ko ca, bhikkhave, kāmānaṁ assādo? Pañcime, bhikkhave, kāmaguṇā. [insert usage 4 definition of kamaguna] Yaṁ kho, bhikkhave, ime pañca kāmaguṇe paṭicca uppajjati sukhaṁ somanassaṁ—ayaṁ kāmānaṁ assādo.
[notice that sukham/somanassam here are the indriyam]

MN 139
The pleasure and happiness that arise from these five kinds of sensual stimulation is called sensual pleasure—a filthy, common, ignoble pleasure.
Yaṁ kho, bhikkhave, ime pañca kāmaguṇe paṭicca uppajjati sukhaṁ somanassaṁ idaṁ vuccati kāmasukhaṁ mīḷhasukhaṁ puthujjanasukhaṁ anariyasukhaṁ.

{MN 13, MN 14, MN 139, SN 36.19, AN 9.34}

13. Axe and block represent the kamaguna
MN 23
‘Axe and block’ is a term for the five kinds of sensual stimulation.
‘Asisūnā’ti kho, bhikkhu, pañcannetaṁ kāmaguṇānaṁ adhivacanaṁ—

14. Kamaguna are bait
MN 25
‘Bait’ is a term for the five kinds of sensual stimulation.
nivāpoti kho, bhikkhave, pañcannetaṁ kāmaguṇānaṁ adhivacanaṁ.

15. Kamaguna tempting monk to disrobe and are whirpools
MN 67
There they see a householder or their child amusing themselves, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation. They think:‘Formerly, as laypeople, we amused ourselves, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation. And it’s true that my family is wealthy. I can both enjoy my wealth and make merit.’ They resign the training and return to a lesser life. This is called one who resigns the training and returns to a lesser life because they’re afraid of the danger of whirlpools. ‘Danger of whirlpools’ is a term for the five kinds of sensual stimulation.
Arakkhiteneva kāyena arakkhitāya vācāya anupaṭṭhitāya satiyā asaṁvutehi indriyehi so tattha passati gahapatiṁ vā gahapatiputtaṁ vā pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappitaṁ samaṅgībhūtaṁ paricārayamānaṁ. Tassa evaṁ hoti: ‘mayaṁ kho pubbe agāriyabhūtā samānā pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappitā samaṅgībhūtā paricārimhā. Saṁvijjanti kho pana me kule bhogā. Sakkā bhoge ca bhuñjituṁ puññāni ca kātun’ti. So sikkhaṁ paccakkhāya hīnāyāvattati. Ayaṁ vuccati, bhikkhave, āvaṭṭabhayassa bhīto sikkhaṁ paccakkhāya hīnāyāvatto. ‘Āvaṭṭabhayan’ti kho, bhikkhave, pañcannetaṁ kāmaguṇānaṁ adhivacanaṁ.

{MN 67, AN 4.122}

16. Heavenly kamaguna are better than human kamaguna
MN 75
There they’d amuse themselves in the Garden of Delight, escorted by a band of nymphs, supplied and provided with the five kinds of heavenly sensual stimulation. Then they’d see a householder or a householder’s child amusing themselves, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation. What do you think, Māgaṇḍiya? Would that god—amusing themselves in the Garden of Delight, escorted by a band of nymphs, supplied and provided with the five kinds of heavenly sensual stimulation—envy that householder or householder’s child their five kinds of human sensual stimulation, or return to human sensual pleasures?” “No, Master Gotama.
So tattha nandane vane accharāsaṅghaparivuto dibbehi pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappito samaṅgībhūto paricāreyya. So passeyya gahapatiṁ vā gahapatiputtaṁ vā pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappitaṁ samaṅgībhūtaṁ paricārayamānaṁ. Taṁ kiṁ maññasi, māgaṇḍiya, api nu so devaputto nandane vane accharāsaṅghaparivuto dibbehi pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappito samaṅgībhūto paricārayamāno amussa gahapatissa vā gahapatiputtassa vā piheyya, mānusakānaṁ vā pañcannaṁ kāmaguṇānaṁ mānusakehi vā kāmehi āvaṭṭeyyā”ti? “No hidaṁ, bho gotama.

17. A saying about the kama and kamaguna
MN 80
So there is the saying: ‘From the senses comes sensual pleasure. From sensual pleasure comes the best kind of sensual pleasure, which is said to be the best thing there.’”
Iti kāmehi kāmasukhaṁ, kāmasukhā kāmaggasukhaṁ tattha aggamakkhāyatī”ti.

18. Seeing danger in kamaguna I went forth
MN 82
Seeing danger in the many kinds of sensual stimulation,I went forth, O King.
Ādīnavaṁ kāmaguṇesu disvā, Tasmā ahaṁ pabbajitomhi rāja.

19. Kamaguna dependent piti is like fire dependent on grass and logs as fuel
MN 99
Rapture that depends on the five kinds of sensual stimulation is like a fire that depends on grass and logs as fuel.
Seyyathāpi, māṇava, tiṇakaṭṭhupādānaṁ paṭicca aggi jalati tathūpamāhaṁ, māṇava, imaṁ pītiṁ vadāmi yāyaṁ pīti pañca kāmaguṇe paṭicca.

20. You should regularly monitor your mind to see if it's interested in the kamaguna

MN 122
So you should regularly check your own mind: ‘Does my mind take an interest in any of these five kinds of sensual stimulation?’ Suppose that, upon checking, a mendicant knows this: ‘My mind does take an interest.’ In that case, they understand: ‘I have not given up desire and greed for the five kinds of sensual stimulation.’ In this way they are aware of the situation.
Yattha bhikkhunā abhikkhaṇaṁ sakaṁ cittaṁ paccavekkhitabbaṁ: ‘atthi nu kho me imesu pañcasu kāmaguṇesu aññatarasmiṁ vā aññatarasmiṁ vā āyatane uppajjati cetaso samudācāro’ti? Sace, ānanda, bhikkhu paccavekkhamāno evaṁ pajānāti: ‘atthi kho me imesu pañcasu kāmaguṇesu aññatarasmiṁ vā aññatarasmiṁ vā āyatane uppajjati cetaso samudācāro’ti, evaṁ santametaṁ, ānanda, bhikkhu evaṁ pajānāti: ‘yo kho imesu pañcasu kāmaguṇesu chandarāgo so me nappahīno’ti. Itiha tattha sampajāno hoti.
MN 151
‘Have I given up the five kinds of sensual stimulation?’ Suppose that, upon checking, a mendicant knows that they have not given them up, they should make an effort to do so. But suppose that, upon checking, a mendicant knows that they have given them up, they should meditate with rapture and joy, training day and night in skillful qualities.
‘pahīnā nu kho me pañca kāmaguṇā’ti? Sace, sāriputta, bhikkhu paccavekkhamāno evaṁ jānāti: ‘appahīnā kho me pañca kāmaguṇā’ti, tena, sāriputta, bhikkhunā pañcannaṁ kāmaguṇānaṁ pahānāya vāyamitabbaṁ. ‘pahīnā kho me pañca kāmaguṇā’ti, tena, sāriputta, bhikkhunā teneva pītipāmojjena vihātabbaṁ ahorattānusikkhinā kusalesu dhammesu.
[Isn't that interesting?]

21. Gods and humans have greed for the kamaguna
MN 125
And it’s only then that a noble disciple comes out into the open,for gods and humans cling to the five kinds of sensual stimulation.
Ettāvatā kho, aggivessana, ariyasāvako abbhokāsagato hoti. Etthagedhā hi, aggivessana, devamanussā yadidaṁ—pañca kāmaguṇā.

SN 1.11
“Once upon a time, mendicants, a certain deity of the company of the Thirty-Three was amusing themselves in the Garden of Delight, escorted by a band of nymphs, and supplied and provided with the five kinds of heavenly sensual stimulation. On that occasion they recited this verse: “Bhūtapubbaṁ, bhikkhave, aññatarā tāvatiṁsakāyikā devatā nandane vane accharāsaṅghaparivutā dibbehi pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappitā samaṅgībhūtā paricārayamānā tāyaṁ velāyaṁ imaṁ gāthaṁ abhāsi:

‘They don’t know pleasure ‘Na te sukhaṁ pajānanti,
who don’t see the Garden of Delight! ye na passanti nandanaṁ;
It’s the abode of lordly gods, Āvāsaṁ naradevānaṁ,
the glorious host of Thirty!’ tidasānaṁ yasassinan’ti.

When they had spoken, another deity replied with this verse:
Evaṁ vutte, bhikkhave, aññatarā devatā taṁ devataṁ gāthāya paccabhāsi:

‘Fool, don’t you understand ‘Na tvaṁ bāle pajānāsi,
the saying of the perfected ones: yathā arahataṁ vaco;
All conditions are impermanent, Aniccā sabbasaṅkhārā,
their nature is to rise and fall; uppādavayadhammino;
having arisen, they cease; Uppajjitvā nirujjhanti,
stheir stilling is true bliss.’” tesaṁ vūpasamo sukho’”ti.

22. Release from all suffering via abandoning the kamaguna plus the mind base

SN 1.30
How is one released from all suffering?” kathaṁ dukkhā pamuccatī”ti.
“There are five kinds of sensual stimulation in the world, “Pañca kāmaguṇā loke,
and the mind is said to be the sixth. manochaṭṭhā paveditā;
When you’ve discarded desire for these, Ettha chandaṁ virājetvā,
you’re released from all suffering.” evaṁ dukkhā pamuccatī”ti.

23. King uses spies who aren't true ascetics and enjoy the kamaguna to test the Buddha

SN 3.11
Sir, these are my spies, my undercover agents returning after spying on the country. First they go undercover, then I have them report to me. And now—when they have washed off the dust and dirt, and are nicely bathed and anointed, with hair and beard dressed, and dressed in white—they will amuse themselves, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation.”
Ete, bhante, mama purisā carā ocarakā janapadaṁ ocaritvā āgacchanti. Tehi paṭhamaṁ ociṇṇaṁ ahaṁ pacchā osāpayissāmi. Idāni te, bhante, taṁ rajojallaṁ pavāhetvā sunhātā suvilittā kappitakesamassū odātavatthā pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappitā samaṅgībhūtā paricāressantī”ti

24. Some kagamuna are aggreable to some and disagreeable to others

SN 3.12
“Great king, which kind of sensual stimulation is best is defined by which is most agreeable, I say. The very same sights that are agreeable to some are disagreeable to others.
“Manāpapariyantaṁ khvāhaṁ, mahārāja, pañcasu kāmaguṇesu agganti vadāmi. Teva, mahārāja, rūpā ekaccassa manāpā honti, teva rūpā ekaccassa amanāpā honti.

25. A financier who regretted giving alms didn't get refined kamaguna

SN 3.20
But because that financier regretted giving alms, as a result of that deed his mind didn’t tend to enjoy nice food, clothes, vehicles, or the five refined kinds of sensual stimulation.
Yaṁ kho so, mahārāja, seṭṭhi gahapati datvā pacchā vippaṭisārī ahosi: ‘varametaṁ piṇḍapātaṁ dāsā vā kammakarā vā bhuñjeyyun’ti, tassa kammassa vipākena nāssuḷārāya bhattabhogāya cittaṁ namati, nāssuḷārāya vatthabhogāya cittaṁ namati, nāssuḷārāya yānabhogāya cittaṁ namati, nāssuḷārānaṁ pañcannaṁ kāmaguṇānaṁ bhogāya cittaṁ namati.

26. When food is understood kamaguna are understood, and when they are understood one is a non-returner
SN 12.63
When solid food is completely understood, desire for the five kinds of sensual stimulation is completely understood. When desire for the five kinds of sensual stimulation is completely understood, a noble disciple is bound by no fetter that might return them again to this world.
Kabaḷīkāre, bhikkhave, āhāre pariññāte pañca kāmaguṇiko rāgo pariññāto hoti. Pañca kāmaguṇike rāge pariññāte natthi taṁ saṁyojanaṁ yena saṁyojanena saṁyutto ariyasāvako puna imaṁ lokaṁ āgaccheyya.

27. Mind can often stray towards past kamaguna which you no longer have

SN 35.117
‘My mind might often stray towards the five kinds of sensual stimulation that I formerly experienced—which have passed, ceased, and perished—or to those in the present, or in the future a little.’ Then it occurred to me: ‘In my own way I should practice diligence, mindfulness, and protecting the mind regarding the five kinds of sensual stimulation that I formerly experienced—which have passed, ceased, and perished.’
‘yeme pañca kāmaguṇā cetaso samphuṭṭhapubbā atītā niruddhā vipariṇatā, tatra me cittaṁ bahulaṁ gacchamānaṁ gaccheyya paccuppannesu vā appaṁ vā anāgatesu’. Tassa mayhaṁ, bhikkhave, etadahosi: ‘yeme pañca kāmaguṇā cetaso samphuṭṭhapubbā atītā niruddhā vipariṇatā, tatra me attarūpena appamādo sati cetaso ārakkho karaṇīyo’.

28. Whirpool as a metaphor for kamaguna
SN 35.241
‘Caught up in a whirlpool’ is a term for the five kinds of sensual stimulation.
‘Āvaṭṭaggāho’ti kho, bhikkhu, pañcannetaṁ kāmaguṇānaṁ adhivacanaṁ.

29. Not excercising restraint with respect to all six fields of contact results in indulging in the kamaguna
SN 35.246
In the same way, when an uneducated ordinary person doesn’t exercise restraint when it comes to the six fields of contact, they indulge themselves in the five kinds of sensual stimulation as much as they like.
evameva kho, bhikkhave, assutavā puthujjano chasu phassāyatanesu asaṁvutakārī pañcasu kāmaguṇesu yāvadatthaṁ madaṁ āpajjati pamādaṁ āpajjati.

30. Subtle bonds for the Deva Vepacitti
SN 35.248
And there Vepacitti remained bound by his limbs and neck. That is, until he thought, ‘It’s the gods who are principled, while the demons are unprincipled. Now I belong right here in the castle of the gods.’ Then he found himself freed from the bonds on his limbs and neck. He entertained himself, supplied and provided with the five kinds of heavenly sensual stimulation. But when he thought, ‘It’s the demons who are principled, while the gods are unprincipled. Now I will go over there to the castle of the demons,’ he found himself bound by his limbs and neck, and the five kinds of heavenly sensual stimulation disappeared. That’s how subtly Vepacitti was bound.
Tatra sudaṁ, bhikkhave, vepacitti asurindo kaṇṭhapañcamehi bandhanehi baddho hoti. Yadā kho, bhikkhave, vepacittissa asurindassa evaṁ hoti: ‘dhammikā kho devā, adhammikā asurā, idheva dānāhaṁ devapuraṁ gacchāmī’ti. Atha kaṇṭhapañcamehi bandhanehi muttaṁ attānaṁ samanupassati, dibbehi ca pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappito samaṅgībhūto paricāreti. Yadā ca kho, bhikkhave, vepacittissa asurindassa evaṁ hoti: ‘dhammikā kho asurā, adhammikā devā, tattheva dānāhaṁ asurapuraṁ gamissāmī’ti. atha kaṇṭhapañcamehi bandhanehi baddhaṁ attānaṁ samanupassati, dibbehi ca pañcahi kāmaguṇehi parihāyati. Evaṁ sukhumaṁ kho, bhikkhave, vepacittibandhanaṁ.

31. Use in definition of samisa piti/sukha/upekkha
SN 36.31
The rapture that arises from these five kinds of sensual stimulation is called material rapture.
yā kho, bhikkhave, ime pañca kāmaguṇe paṭicca uppajjati pīti, ayaṃ vuccati, bhikkhave, sāmisā pīti.

SN 36.31
The pleasure and happiness that arise from these five kinds of sensual stimulation is called material pleasure.
yaṃ kho, bhikkhave, ime pañca kāmaguṇe paṭicca uppajjati sukhaṃ somanassaṃ, idaṃ vuccati, bhikkhave, sāmisaṃ sukhaṃ.

SN 36.31
The equanimity that arises from these five kinds of sensual stimulation is called material equanimity.
Yā kho, bhikkhave, ime pañca kāmaguṇe paṭicca uppajjati upekkhā, ayaṁ vuccati, bhikkhave, sāmisā upekkhā.

32. If gold and money were proper for ascetics then so are kamaguna
SN 42.10
If gold and money were proper for them, then the five kinds of sensual stimulation would also be proper. And if the five kinds of sensual stimulation are proper for them, you should definitely regard them as not having the qualities of an ascetic or a follower of the Sakyan.
Yassa kho, gāmaṇi, jātarūparajataṁ kappati, pañcapi tassa kāmaguṇā kappanti. Yassa pañca kāmaguṇā kappanti (…), ekaṁsenetaṁ, gāmaṇi, dhāreyyāsi assamaṇadhammo asakyaputtiyadhammoti.

33. 8fold path developed to abandon kamaguna
SN 45.30
The noble eightfold path should be developed to give up these five kinds of sensual stimulation.
Imesaṁ kho, uttiya, pañcannaṁ kāmaguṇānaṁ pahānāya ariyo aṭṭhaṅgiko maggo bhāvetabbo.

{SN 45.30, SN 45.177}

34. Not the domain of a bhikkhu, but the domain of others
SN 47.6
And what is not a mendicant’s own territory but the domain of others? It’s the five kinds of sensual stimulation.
Ko ca, bhikkhave, bhikkhuno agocaro paravisayo? Yadidaṁ—pañca kāmaguṇā.

{SN 47.6, SN 47.7}

35. Enthusiasm/Energy/Mind/Inquiry which is distracted externally by kamaguna
SN 51.20
And what is enthusiasm that’s distracted externally? It’s when enthusiasm is frequently distracted and diffused externally on account of the five kinds of sensual stimulation.
Katamo ca, bhikkhave, bahiddhā vikkhitto chando? Yo, bhikkhave, chando bahiddhā pañca kāmaguṇe ārabbha anuvikkhitto anuvisaṭo—

36. King after death provided with kamaguna, but not a stream entrant
SN 55.1
“Mendicants, suppose a wheel-turning monarch were to rule as sovereign lord over these four continents. And when his body breaks up, after death, he’s reborn in a good place, a heavenly realm, in the company of the gods of the Thirty-Three. There he entertains himself in the Garden of Delight, escorted by a band of nymphs, and supplied and provided with the five kinds of heavenly sensual stimulation. Still, as he’s lacking four things, he’s not exempt from hell, the animal realm, or the ghost realm. He’s not exempt from places of loss, bad places, the underworld. “kiñcāpi, bhikkhave, rājā cakkavattī catunnaṁ dīpānaṁ issariyādhipaccaṁ rajjaṁ kāretvā kāyassa bhedā paraṁ maraṇā sugatiṁ saggaṁ lokaṁ upapajjati devānaṁ tāvatiṁsānaṁ sahabyataṁ, so tattha nandane vane accharāsaṅghaparivuto dibbehi ca pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappito samaṅgībhūto paricāreti, so catūhi dhammehi asamannāgato, atha kho so aparimuttova nirayā aparimutto tiracchānayoniyā aparimutto pettivisayā aparimutto apāyaduggativinipātā.

37. Good to encourage people to aim at heavenly kamaguna if they are fixated on human ones
SN 55.54
‘But are you concerned for the five kinds of human sensual stimulation? If they reply, ‘I am,’ they should say: ‘Good sir, heavenly sensual pleasures are better than human sensual pleasures. It would be good to turn your mind away from human sensual pleasures and fix it on the gods of the Four Great Kings.
‘atthi panāyasmato mānusakesu pañcasu kāmaguṇesu apekkhā’ti? So ce evaṁ vadeyya: ‘atthi me mānusakesu pañcasu kāmaguṇesu apekkhā’ti, so evamassa vacanīyo: ‘mānusakehi kho, āvuso, kāmehi dibbā kāmā abhikkantatarā ca paṇītatarā ca. ’ Sādhāyasmā, mānusakehi kāmehi cittaṁ vuṭṭhāpetvā cātumahārājikesu devesu cittaṁ adhimocehī’ti.

38. Giving can result in rebirth with heavenly kamaguna or as a wealth human enjoying kama
AN 5.34
Giving, you’re loved and befriended by many people.
Dadaṁ piyo hoti bhajanti naṁ bahū,
You get a good reputation, and your fame grows.
Kittiñca pappoti yaso ca vaḍḍhati;
A generous man enters an assembly
Amaṅkubhūto parisaṁ vigāhati,
bold and assured.
Visārado hoti naro amaccharī.

So an astute person, seeking happiness, would give gifts,
Tasmā hi dānāni dadanti paṇḍitā,
having driven out the stain of stinginess.
Vineyya maccheramalaṁ sukhesino;
They live long in the heaven of the Three and Thirty,
Te dīgharattaṁ tidive patiṭṭhitā,
enjoying the company of the gods.
Devānaṁ sahabyagatā ramanti te.
Having taken the opportunity to do good, when they pass from here
Katāvakāsā katakusalā ito cutā,
they wander radiant in the Garden of Delight.
Sayaṁpabhā anuvicaranti nandanaṁ;
There they delight, rejoice, and enjoy themselves,
Te tattha nandanti ramanti modare,
provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation.
Samappitā kāmaguṇehi pañcahi;
Having practiced the word of the unattached, the poised,
Katvāna vākyaṁ asitassa tādino,
disciples of the Holy One rejoice in heaven.”
Ramanti sagge sugatassa sāvakā”ti.

AN 5.148
Having given a gift with no strings attached, in whatever place the result of that gift manifests they become rich, affluent, and wealthy.
Anuggahitacitto kho pana, bhikkhave, dānaṁ datvā yattha yattha tassa dānassa vipāko nibbattati, aḍḍho ca hoti mahaddhano mahābhogo;
And their mind tends to enjoy the five refined kinds of sensual stimulation.
uḷāresu ca pañcasu kāmaguṇesu bhogāya cittaṁ namati.

AN 8.35
First, someone gives to ascetics or brahmins such things as food, drink, clothing, vehicles; garlands, fragrance, and makeup; and bed, house, and lighting.
Idha, bhikkhave, ekacco dānaṁ deti samaṇassa vā brāhmaṇassa vā annaṁ pānaṁ vatthaṁ yānaṁ mālāgandhavilepanaṁ seyyāvasathapadīpeyyaṁ.
Whatever they give, they expect something back.
So yaṁ deti taṁ paccāsīsati.
They see a well-to-do aristocrat or brahmin or householder amusing themselves, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation.
So passati khattiyamahāsāle vā brāhmaṇamahāsāle vā gahapatimahāsāle vā pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappite samaṅgībhūte paricārayamāne.
It occurs to them:
Tassa evaṁ hoti:
‘If only, when my body breaks up, after death, I would be reborn in the company of well-to-do aristocrats or brahmins or householders!’
‘aho vatāhaṁ kāyassa bhedā paraṁ maraṇā khattiyamahāsālānaṁ vā brāhmaṇamahāsālānaṁ vā gahapatimahāsālānaṁ vā sahabyataṁ upapajjeyyan’ti.
They settle on that idea, concentrate on it and develop it.
So taṁ cittaṁ dahati, taṁ cittaṁ adhiṭṭhāti, taṁ cittaṁ bhāveti.
As they’ve settled for less and not developed further, their idea leads to rebirth there.
Tassa taṁ cittaṁ hīne vimuttaṁ, uttari abhāvitaṁ, tatrūpapattiyā saṁvattati.
When their body breaks up, after death, they’re reborn in the company of well-to-do aristocrats or brahmins or householders.
Kāyassa bhedā paraṁ maraṇā khattiyamahāsālānaṁ vā brāhmaṇamahāsālānaṁ vā gahapatimahāsālānaṁ vā sahabyataṁ upapajjati.

AN 9.20
“Householder, someone might give a gift that’s either coarse or fine.
“Lūkhañcepi, gahapati, dānaṁ deti paṇītaṁ vā;
But they give it carelessly, thoughtlessly, not with their own hand. They give the dregs, and they give without consideration for consequences.
tañca asakkaccaṁ deti, acittīkatvā deti, asahatthā deti, apaviddhaṁ deti, anāgamanadiṭṭhiko deti.
Then wherever the result of any such gift manifests, their mind doesn’t incline toward enjoyment of nice food, clothes, vehicles, or the five refined kinds of sensual stimulation.
Yattha yattha tassa tassa dānassa vipāko nibbattati, na uḷārāya bhattabhogāya cittaṁ namati, na uḷārāya vatthabhogāya cittaṁ namati, na uḷārāya yānabhogāya cittaṁ namati, na uḷāresu pañcasu kāmaguṇesu bhogāya cittaṁ namati.
And their children, wives, bondservants, employees, and workers don’t want to listen to them. They don’t pay attention or try to understand.
Yepissa te honti puttāti vā dārāti vā dāsāti vā pessāti vā kammakarāti vā, tepi na sussūsanti na sotaṁ odahanti na aññā cittaṁ upaṭṭhapenti.
Why is that? Taṁ kissa hetu?
Because that is the result of deeds done carelessly.
Evañhetaṁ, gahapati, hoti asakkaccaṁ katānaṁ kammānaṁ vipāko.

Someone might give a gift that’s either coarse or fine.
Lūkhañcepi, gahapati, dānaṁ deti paṇītaṁ vā;
And they give it carefully, thoughtfully, with their own hand. They don’t give the dregs, and they give with consideration for consequences.
tañca sakkaccaṁ deti, cittīkatvā deti, sahatthā deti, anapaviddhaṁ deti, āgamanadiṭṭhiko deti. Then wherever the result of any such gift manifests, their mind inclines toward enjoyment of nice food, clothes, vehicles, or the five refined kinds of sensual stimulation.
Yattha yattha tassa tassa dānassa vipāko nibbattati, uḷārāya bhattabhogāya cittaṁ namati, uḷārāya vatthabhogāya cittaṁ namati, uḷārāya yānabhogāya cittaṁ namati, uḷāresu pañcasu kāmaguṇesu bhogāya cittaṁ namati.
And their children, wives, bondservants, employees, and workers want to listen. They pay attention and try to understand.
Yepissa te honti puttāti vā dārāti vā dāsāti vā pessāti vā kammakarāti vā, tepi sussūsanti sotaṁ odahanti aññā cittaṁ upaṭṭhapenti.
Why is that?
Taṁ kissa hetu?
Because that is the result of deeds done carefully.
Evañhetaṁ, gahapati, hoti sakkaccaṁ katānaṁ kammānaṁ vipāko.

AN 10.177
Take someone else who doesn’t kill living creatures, steal, or commit sexual misconduct. They don’t use speech that’s false, divisive, harsh, or nonsensical. And they’re contented, kind-hearted, with right view.
Idha pana, brāhmaṇa, ekacco pāṇātipātā paṭivirato hoti …pe… sammādiṭṭhiko hoti. They give to ascetics or brahmins … So dātā hoti samaṇassa vā brāhmaṇassa vā annaṁ pānaṁ vatthaṁ yānaṁ mālāgandhavilepanaṁ seyyāvasathapadīpeyyaṁ.
When their body breaks up, after death, they’re reborn in the human realm.
So kāyassa bhedā paraṁ maraṇā manussānaṁ sahabyataṁ upapajjati.
There they get to have the five kinds of human sensual stimulation.
So tattha lābhī hoti mānusakānaṁ pañcannaṁ kāmaguṇānaṁ.
[repeat for gods with heavenly kamaguna]

{AN 5.34, AN 5.148, AN 8.35, AN 9.20, AN 10.177}

39. Five kamaguna are apparent in a woman's body
AN 5.55
It’s not good to sit with such a person, Neso jano svāsīsado,
even if she’s injured or dead. api ugghātito mato.

These five kinds of sensual stimulation Pañca kāmaguṇā ete,
are apparent in a woman’s body: itthirūpasmiṁ dissare;

40. Greed is a term for the five kamaguna, and is abandoned when practicing the recollections.
AN 6.25
When a noble disciple recollects the Realized One their mind is not full of greed, hate, and delusion.
Yasmiṁ, bhikkhave, samaye ariyasāvako tathāgataṁ anussarati, nevassa tasmiṁ samaye rāgapariyuṭṭhitaṁ cittaṁ hoti, na dosapariyuṭṭhitaṁ cittaṁ hoti, na mohapariyuṭṭhitaṁ cittaṁ hoti;
At that time their mind is unswerving. They’ve left behind greed; they’re free of it and have risen above it.
ujugatamevassa tasmiṁ samaye cittaṁ hoti, nikkhantaṁ muttaṁ vuṭṭhitaṁ gedhamhā.
‘Greed’ is a term for the five kinds of sensual stimulation.
‘Gedho’ti kho, bhikkhave, pañcannetaṁ kāmaguṇānaṁ adhivacanaṁ.
Relying on this some sentient beings are purified.
Idampi kho, bhikkhave, ārammaṇaṁ karitvā evam’idhekacce sattā visujjhanti.
[repeat for dhamma, sangha, sila, generosity, devas]

AN 6.26
very similar to AN 6.25 but includes after the refrain the additional lines:
That noble disciple meditates with a heart just like space, abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will.
Sa kho so, āvuso, ariyasāvako sabbaso ākāsasamena cetasā viharati vipulena mahaggatena appamāṇena averena abyāpajjena.
Relying on this, some sentient beings have the factors for purity.
Idampi kho, āvuso, ārammaṇaṁ karitvā evam’idhekacce sattā visuddhidhammā bhavanti.

{AN 6.25, AN 6.26}

41. Kamaguna are not the kāmā in this noble discipline
AN 6.63
[kamaguna formula goes here]
However, these are not sensual pleasures. In the training of the Noble One they’re called ‘kinds of sensual stimulation’.
Api ca kho, bhikkhave, nete kāmā kāmaguṇā nāmete ariyassa vinaye vuccanti

42. Living the celibate life impurely by seeing a household or their child amusing themselves with the kamaguna
AN 7.50
they see a householder or their child amusing themselves, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation.
api ca kho passati gahapatiṁ vā gahapatiputtaṁ vā pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappitaṁ samaṅgībhūtaṁ paricārayamānaṁ

43. When the orchid tree of the gods blooms they enjoy the kamaguna
AN 7.69
When the Shady Orchid Tree of the Gods of the Thirty-Three has fully blossomed, the gods are elated. For four heavenly months they amused themselves at the root of the tree, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation.
Yasmiṁ, bhikkhave, samaye devānaṁ tāvatiṁsānaṁ pāricchattako koviḷāro sabbaphāliphullo hoti, attamanā, bhikkhave, devā tāvatiṁsā pāricchattakassa koviḷārassa mūle dibbe cattāro māse pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappitā samaṅgībhūtā paricārenti

44. The five kamaguna are the world in the training of the noble one
AN 9.38
These five kinds of sensual stimulation are called the world in the training of the Noble One. Pañcime, brāhmaṇā, kāmaguṇā ariyassa vinaye lokoti vuccati.

45. The five kamaguna are called confinement by the Buddha
AN 9.42
These are the five kinds of sensual stimulation that are called ‘confinement’ by the Buddha.
Ime kho, āvuso, pañca kāmaguṇā sambādho vutto bhagavatā.

46. Develop the four satipatthana to abandond the kamaguna
AN 9.65
To give up these five kinds of sensual stimulation you should develop the four kinds of mindfulness meditation. …”
Imesaṁ kho, bhikkhave, pañcannaṁ kāmaguṇānaṁ pahānāya …pe… ime cattāro satipaṭṭhānā bhāvetabbā”ti.

47. As better than the games and toys of a child
AN 10.99
“After some time that boy grows up and his faculties mature further.
“Sa kho so, upāli, kumāro aparena samayena vuddhimanvāya indriyānaṁ paripākamanvāya
He accordingly amuses himself, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation. pañcahi kāmaguṇehi samappito samaṅgibhūto paricāreti
Aren’t such games better than what he did before?”
nanvāyaṁ khiḍḍā purimāhi khiḍḍāhi abhikkantatarā ca paṇītatarā cā”ti?
“Yes, sir.”
“Evaṁ, bhante”.
[this is in a sequence which passes through each jhana and each immaterial state]
bhante dhamma

Post by bhante dhamma »

Hi what search engine did you use to do that out of interest?
waryoffolly

Post by waryoffolly »

bhante dhamma wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:46 am Hi what search engine did you use to do that out of interest?
Hi Bhante,

I used digital pali reader: https://www.digitalpalireader.online/_d ... index.html

I forgot to mention it in the OP.
bhante dhamma

Post by bhante dhamma »

I see how did you get the pali/eng btw, I mean how did you do the search exactly?
waryoffolly

Post by waryoffolly »

bhante dhamma wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:46 am I see how did you get the pali/eng btw, I mean how did you do the search exactly?
These are Ajahn Sujato’s translations. I used the search strings I listed in the OP in digital pali reader to search the 1st 4 nikaya’s, then opened up the matching page on suttacentral for each hit in “line by line mode”. Then I searched for the pali word on the suttacentral page and copy+pasted the suttacentral translation snippet.
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

You may find useful my remarks here:

viewtopic.php?p=609459#p609459

and ff. (but cp. ven. Dhammanando's comments too)
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
bhante dhamma

Post by bhante dhamma »

I see, not ure if the offline DPR version is different from the online one, or maybe im using a dated version, but the icon to get to the SC popup isnt there on my end, assuming thats how you did it? Maybe sending screen shots be easier? Ill send you a DM, thnks 4 help.
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

You would also benefit greatly if consulted the paper "Words for love in Sanskrit" by famous Sanskritologist Minoru Hara. As far as I remember a great deal of the paper is about the word "kāma" and the respective verbal root.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/41913379?s ... b_contents

I can send the paper to you.
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
waryoffolly

Post by waryoffolly »

bhante dhamma wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:13 pm I see, not ure if the offline DPR version is different from the online one, or maybe im using a dated version, but the icon to get to the SC popup isnt there on my end, assuming thats how you did it? Maybe sending screen shots be easier? Ill send you a DM, thnks 4 help.
(See my DM as well)

There is no suttacentral popup. You have to open suttacentral in a separate tab or window and navigate to the sutta yourself. By the way-you can modify the url for suttacentral suttas to go to a desired sutta immediately instead of having to click through the user interface.

For example in the link https://suttacentral.net/sn1.25/en/sujato:
https://suttacentral.net/sn1.25/en/sujato
The section in red can be modified to immediately jump to a desired sutta. So you could replace it with an6.63 for example to go to sutta AN 6.63 which is a very interesting example of kama (plural) and kamaguna.

Also note that these numberings will occasionally be off by one compared to DPR numberings.
Last edited by waryoffolly on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
waryoffolly

Post by waryoffolly »

sphairos wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:50 pm You would also benefit greatly if consulted the paper "Words for love in Sanskrit" by famous Sanskritologist Minoru Hara. As far as I remember a great deal of the paper is about the word "kāma" and the respective verbal root.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/41913379?s ... b_contents

I can send the paper to you.
I don’t turn down offers for interesting academic papers! Please do send me the paper.