New Release: Māgadhabhāsā (Pāḷi) - A Compendious Grammar on the Language of Pāḷi Buddhism

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Ṭhānuttamo

New Release: Māgadhabhāsā (Pāḷi) - A Compendious Grammar on the Language of Pāḷi Buddhism

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

Greetings in Dhamma!
I would like to briefly introduce the grammar book I have been able to finalize lately. I believe it to be very handy, but have a look for yourself if you are interested in Pāḷi and if you are so inclined.

The aims, methods and rationales of the present Māgadhabhāsā (Pāḷi) grammar are as follows: (a) Lubricating access to the information contained in numerous modern Pāḷi grammars written in English by collating the dispersed material contained within them. People who wish to learn about grammatical rules and principles – either on a broader spectrum or at all – are compelled to track them down in the thicket of the widely scattered grammar inventories as separately given by the various available grammars. These works, mostly fine and outstanding works of scholarship in their own right, each individually often contain valuable data and perspectives not found in the other ones, and these are attempted to be distilled and presented with this Pāḷi grammar. (b) Facilitating identification of and providing explicit reference to most of the grammatical rules contained in the Kaccāyanabyākaraṇaṃ (Kaccāyana), the oldest extant Pāḷi grammar, as well as to selected ones from other traditional grammars.

Most copiously consulted grammars in English medium were:
  • Ānandamaitreya, B. (2012). Pali made easy.
    Buddhadatta, A. P. (1997). The new Pali course (Vols. I–II).
    Collins, S. (2006). A Pali grammar for students.
    Dhammajoti (2018). Reading Buddhist Pāḷi texts.
    Duroiselle, C. (1997). Practical grammar of the Pali language.
    Frankfurter, O. (1883). Handbook of Pali.
    Gair, J. W., & Karunatillake, W. (1998). A new course in reading Pāli.
    Kaccāyana Pāli Vyākaraṇaṃ (Vol. 2; 2016) (Thitzana, Trans.)
    Ñāṇadhaja (2011). Light on the pronunciation of Pāḷi.
    Oberlies, T. (2019). Pāli grammar. The language of the canonical texts of Theravāda Buddhism – Phonology and morphology (Vol. I).
    Perniola, V. (1997). Pali grammar.
    Warder, A.K. (1967). Pali metre.
    Warder, A. K. (2001). Introduction to Pali.
    Yindee, P. P. (2018). A contrastive study of Pali and English.
Traditional grammars which were utilized (except for Kaccāyana, mainly, but not exclusively, used for the chapter on Pāḷi pronunciation):
  • Kaccāyanabyākaraṇaṃ (1999). Vipassana Research Institute.
    Moggallānavyākaraṇaṃ (1999). Vipassana Research Institute.
    Padarūpasiddhi (1999). Vipassana Research Institute.
    Saddanītippakaraṇaṃ I (1999). Vipassana Research Institute.
    Saddanītippakaraṇaṃ II (1999). Vipassana Research Institute.
    Vidyabhusana, S & Punnananda (Eds.) (1935). Bālāvatāra – An elementary Pali grammar abridged for the undergraduate course.
Please check out these links if you are interested in obtaining a free soft copy: Much blessings!
A. Bhikkhu

P.s. A small amount of copies will also be printed via SBS (Sāsanārakkha Buddhist Sanctuary). A notice to the people whom I promised one: I got informed that the person in charge delayed the proceedings due to Covid related issues.
Last edited by Ṭhānuttamo on Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pulga

Re: New Release: Māgadhabhāsā (Pāḷi) - A Compendious Grammar on the Language of Pāḷi Buddhism

Post by pulga »

A. Bhikkhu wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:43 pm
P.s. A small amount of copies will also be printed via SBS. A notice to the people whom I promised one: I got informed that the person in charge delayed the proceedings due to Covid related issues.
It looks like a very informative grammar. I downloaded a copy and plan to print it out to punch and bind it myself.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
Ṭhānuttamo

Re: New Release: Māgadhabhāsā (Pāḷi) - A Compendious Grammar on the Language of Pāḷi Buddhism

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

pulga wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:08 pm It looks like a very informative grammar. I downloaded a copy and plan to print it out to punch and bind it myself.
Appreciate your feedback and message, thank you! Regarding the printing: That is possible too. The format is 16.5 x 24 cm, being a workable book format, I think. Mettā 2u!
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

That is a very valuable and practically helful for a Pāḷi student work, thank you very much, Bhante!

BTW, I earlier called the conclusion to your comparative Dharmapada studies very illuminating:

viewtopic.php?p=603612#p603612

May I ask how you would reply to a hard-line scholarly objection that the historical 1st "council" is a "Buddhist fiction"?
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
Ṭhānuttamo

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

sphairos wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:44 pm That is a very valuable and practically helful for a Pāḷi student work, thank you very much, Bhante!

BTW, I earlier called the conclusion to your comparative Dharmapada studies very illuminating:

viewtopic.php?p=603612#p603612

May I ask how you would reply to a hard-line scholarly objection that the historical 1st "council" is a "Buddhist fiction"?
Dear Sphairos,
just a clarification: I am not ven. Ānandajoti. :smile: The "A." stands for "anonymous" ... As to the question of the council: What do you mean exactly by "hard-line"? What did you read on the topic? As far as I remember, most, if not all, of the early Buddhist schools contain an account of the first council, which speaks for its historicity. For me such a council would constitute also a somewhat natural course of events after the Buddha's death.

Mettā 2u!