Published Atthakatha with Online Images

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Richard W

Published Atthakatha with Online Images

Post by Richard W »

Is there a published, printed version of the Aṭṭhakathā (particularly the Pāthikavaggaṭṭhakathā) with a cheaply accessible online image? There are at least two versions of the Tipitaka itself in this convenient state, the Sinhalese BJT and the Burmese CST, but when I opened a PDF of what I though was the BJT edition of the commentary:
  • There was no front matter, so I can't cite a printed volume
  • The 'spelling' was completely different from the Tipitaka - it used 'al lakuna' instead of touching letters.
  • When I extracted the text from the PDF, the text was consistent with not using touching letters.
I am therefore not even sure it was part of the same series, nor am I able to give anything but a potentially ephemeral on-line reference. I can get that much from www.tipitaka.org.

It's for a pretty mundane purpose - I wanted a quotation to defend A.P. Buddhadatta's spelling of jānu 'knee' with a retroflex nasal.
arkaprava

Re: Published Atthakatha with Online Images

Post by arkaprava »

https://github.com/dhamma/tipitaka.rte/ ... -Canonical

This is the Thai edition. Have a look into the files called Sumaṅgalavilāsinī..
ssasny

Post by ssasny »

Are you asking about a printed commentary to the Dīgha Nikāya, Sumaṅgalavilāsinī ?
The Pali Text Society has a printed edition of it in Roman Script.

I would think there are scans of it (maybe you need Volume 3) available somewhere.

Re jānu, PED has this entry:

Jaṇṇu(ka) Jaṇṇu(ka) [cp. jānu & jannu] the knee D ii.160; J vi.332; SnA ii.230; DhA i.80
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

arkaprava wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:19 pm https://github.com/dhamma/tipitaka.rte/ ... -Canonical

Interesting. The relevant verse has accusative plural jānūni whereas what appear to be the Sinhalese and Burmese editions have jāṇūni. Unfortunately, I couldn't really cite this edition even if it had had the form I was looking for, as I couldn't say where it's durably archived. It's in the first verse 7 in the third part.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

I think I've finally found what I wanted. It's available as a set of PDFs indexed at http://buddhispano.net/index.php/es/comentarios. The parts appears to be PDFs of books published by the Ministry of Religious Affairs in Rangoon. It's Romanised from the '1957 edition', which I presume is meant to be the Sixth Council Text, though I've read that the Fifth Council Text has been issued under the description of the Sixth council Text. And this has the spelling jāṇūni 'knees'.

The cerebralisation is odd. Geiger (or was it Norman?) suggested that Pali jaṇṇu 'knee' should be emended to jannu in the texts, but I see that the Prakrits generally cerebralised this form as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.
arkaprava

Post by arkaprava »

Richard W wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:12 am
arkaprava wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:19 pm https://github.com/dhamma/tipitaka.rte/ ... -Canonical

Interesting. The relevant verse has accusative plural jānūni whereas what appear to be the Sinhalese and Burmese editions have jāṇūni. Unfortunately, I couldn't really cite this edition even if it had had the form I was looking for, as I couldn't say where it's durably archived. It's in the first verse 7 in the third part.
The BUDSIR on Internet is the latest product of BUDSIR project with an aim of facilitating all interested persons in retrieving information in BUDSIR database via Internet. The program consists of the following:

45 volumes of Tipitaka in Thai translation.
45 volumes of Tipitaka in Thai-Pali Tipitaka and Romanized Pali.
70 volumes of Atthakatha and commentaries in Thai-Pali and Romanized Pali.
Now Tipitaka and Atthakatha in Devanagari and Sinhalese are also available for retrieval.
It is taken from this software.