Abbreviation?

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Ontheway

Abbreviation?

Post by Ontheway »

Hi Pali readers, I encountered "...pe..." word while reading some Pali text? What does it mean? Is it an abbreviation or something else?

E.g.:
Tattha katamaṁ rūpaṁ oḷārikaṁ?
Cakkhāyatanaṁ …pe… phoṭṭhabbāyatanaṁ—
idaṁ vuccati rūpaṁ oḷārikaṁ.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
mikenz66

Re: Abbreviation?

Post by mikenz66 »

Ontheway wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:30 am Cakkhāyatanaṁ …pe… phoṭṭhabbāyatanaṁ—
It's just the equivalent of the abbreviation in the translations:
‘This noble truth of suffering should be completely understood.’ Such was the vision that arose in me …
‘Taṁ kho panidaṁ dukkhaṁ ariyasaccaṁ pariññeyyan’ti me, bhikkhave, pubbe …pe… udapādi.
https://suttacentral.net/sn56.11/en/sujato
Mike
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

mikenz66 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:51 am
Ontheway wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:30 am Cakkhāyatanaṁ …pe… phoṭṭhabbāyatanaṁ—
It's just the equivalent of the abbreviation in the translations:
‘This noble truth of suffering should be completely understood.’ Such was the vision that arose in me …
‘Taṁ kho panidaṁ dukkhaṁ ariyasaccaṁ pariññeyyan’ti me, bhikkhave, pubbe …pe… udapādi.
https://suttacentral.net/sn56.11/en/sujato
Mike
Thank you 😊
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

pe is an abbreviation for Peyyāla:
PTS Dictionary wrote:Peyyāla (p. 473) (nt.?) [a Māgadhism for pariyāya, so Kern, Toev. s. v. after Trenckner, cp. BSk. piyāla and peyāla MVastu III.202, 219] repetition, succession, formula; way of saying, phrase (=pariyāya 5) Vism 46 (°mukha beginning of discourse), 351 (id. and bahu°-tanti having many discourses or repetitions), 411 (°pāḷi a row of successions or etceteras); VvA 117 (pāḷi° vasena "because of the successive Pāli text"). - Very freq. in abridged form, where we would say "etc.," to indicate that a passage has be to repeated (either from preceding context, or to be supplied from memory, if well known). The literal meaning would be "here (follows) the formula (pariyāya)." We often find pa for pe, e. g. A V.242, 270, 338, 339, 355; sometimes pa+pe combd, e. g. S V.466. - As pe is the first syllable of peyyāla so la is the last and is used in the same sense; the variance is according to predilection of certain MSS.; la is found e. g. S V.448, 267 sq.; or as v. l. of pe: A V.242, 243, 354; or la+pe combd: S V.464, 466. - On syllable pe Trenckner, Notes 66, says: "The sign of abridgment. pe, or as it is written in Burmese copies, pa, means peyyāla which is not an imperative "insert, fill up the gap," but a substantive, peyyālo or peyyālaṃ, signifying a pPhrase to be repeated over & over again. I consider it a popular corruption of the synonymous pariyāya, passing through *payyāya, with -eyy- for -ayy-, like seyyā, Sk. śayyā." See also Vin. Texts I.291; Oldenberg, K.Z. 35, 324.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:45 am pe is an abbreviation for Peyyāla:
PTS Dictionary wrote:Peyyāla (p. 473) (nt.?) [a Māgadhism for pariyāya, so Kern, Toev. s. v. after Trenckner, cp. BSk. piyāla and peyāla MVastu III.202, 219] repetition, succession, formula; way of saying, phrase (=pariyāya 5) Vism 46 (°mukha beginning of discourse), 351 (id. and bahu°-tanti having many discourses or repetitions), 411 (°pāḷi a row of successions or etceteras); VvA 117 (pāḷi° vasena "because of the successive Pāli text"). - Very freq. in abridged form, where we would say "etc.," to indicate that a passage has be to repeated (either from preceding context, or to be supplied from memory, if well known). The literal meaning would be "here (follows) the formula (pariyāya)." We often find pa for pe, e. g. A V.242, 270, 338, 339, 355; sometimes pa+pe combd, e. g. S V.466. - As pe is the first syllable of peyyāla so la is the last and is used in the same sense; the variance is according to predilection of certain MSS.; la is found e. g. S V.448, 267 sq.; or as v. l. of pe: A V.242, 243, 354; or la+pe combd: S V.464, 466. - On syllable pe Trenckner, Notes 66, says: "The sign of abridgment. pe, or as it is written in Burmese copies, pa, means peyyāla which is not an imperative "insert, fill up the gap," but a substantive, peyyālo or peyyālaṃ, signifying a pPhrase to be repeated over & over again. I consider it a popular corruption of the synonymous pariyāya, passing through *payyāya, with -eyy- for -ayy-, like seyyā, Sk. śayyā." See also Vin. Texts I.291; Oldenberg, K.Z. 35, 324.
Thank you, Bhante. :anjali:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.