Pali Resources

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Volo

Re: Pali Resources

Post by Volo »

Found on google books (https://books.google.com.mm/books?id=tH ... &q&f=false) a translation of Dhp by Carter and Palihawadana. It's a serious scholarly work, but what is interesting for pali learners is that they give almost literal translation of the commentary (not the stories, but word-by-word commentary of each verse found in the end of the stories in Dhp-atthakata). This is useful for those who want to learn how to translate the commentaries. In the end-notes (most are not available on google books) the authors explain some of the features of commentarial language.

If you decide to buy a paper book, make sure you get a long version (~500 pages), not the short one.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Richard Gombrich discussing his latest book, Buddhism and Pali, with his former student Alexander Wynne.

Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Learn Pali

Online Pali grammar tutorials for the absolute beginner - in English. For anyone wishing to learn the Pali language of the Theravada canon.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... PrzvAWWMpo
pathnirvana

Post by pathnirvana »

Introducing new tipitaka, atta, tika study website with
  • full text search
  • multiple scripts support
  • dictionary lookup in multiple languages
  • offline apps for Windows/Mac/Linux
https://tipitaka.app

Chatta Sangayana Tipitaka CST Software V5
Volo

Post by Volo »

Once I made a synopsis based on Warder, Duroiselle and Geiger as well as Ñanatusita's grammar tables, since I wanted to have most grammatical information I need in one place and not to search every time through three big books. The synopsis became quite big (52 pages), since I also included explanations and examples, but I personally find it useful and consult often, when I answer some questions on Pali sub-forum usually I take the answers from there :). May be some of you would also like them (§ refers to Duroiselle). Can be downloaded from here.

Here is also the same in booklet format if you would like to print it as a small book (then it's only 13 sheets if you print on both sides).

I'm also attaching excel version of the table, which comes in the appendix to Warder, and has information about Pali verbs.
Attachments
Pali verbs Warder.xlsx
(20.36 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
frank k

every single reference to vitakka in the suttas, MN completed

Post by frank k »

www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Vatious Pali scripts side by side.
https://www.tititudorancea.org/z/tipitaka.htm
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
not myself today

Re: Pali keyboard for iPhone?

Post by not myself today »

dylanj wrote:I'm a little late, but Unicode Pro lets you create a custom keyboard for iPhone. I use it for Pāli.
And I know it’s been forever since I posted my plea and you posted your response, but I’ll look into it now nevertheless. Thank you very much for the tip! :)
Ian

Not in the faults of others
nor what they did or failed to do,
but in oneself should be sought
things done, things left undone.

- Dhammapada 4.50
frank k

An eminently useful KN index page, complete pali + english EBT portion.

Post by frank k »

An eminently useful KN index page, complete pali + english EBT portion.
4👑☸ Cattāri Ariya-saccaṃ 四聖諦
Khuddaka Nikāya
SHORT/SMALL COLLECTION
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
pulga

Post by pulga »

It requires a Scribd membership, but Ven. Bodhi's latest book Reading the Buddha's Discourses in Pali is now available online.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
not myself today

pulga wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:23 pm It requires a Scribd membership, but Ven. Bodhi's latest book Reading the Buddha's Discourses in Pali is now available online.
Thank you for this! It’s also available – as are Bhikkhu Bodhi‘s translations of the Anguttara, Majjhima, and Samyutta Nikayas (and Maurice Walshe’s of the Digha) along with various other of Bhikkhu Bodhi’s books – in Apple‘s Books app. I carry much of the Canon and lots of other very valuable Dhamma books around with me everywhere I go, thanks to Apple’s Books app.
Ian

- Dhammapada 4.50
pulga

Post by pulga »

A Grammar of the Pâli Language (after Kaccâyana) by Tha Do Oung

The whole grammar looks interesting, but especially the third volume which is a dictionary of Pali roots. For some it might prove to be a useful reference worth downloading and printing out.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
not myself today

Assaji wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:30 am Learn Pali

Online Pali grammar tutorials for the absolute beginner - in English. For anyone wishing to learn the Pali language of the Theravada canon.

Wow - only just saw your post and had a look at the YouTube series. Fantastic. Much gratitude for your post. :anjali:
Ian

- Dhammapada 4.50
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

not myself today wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:37 am Wow - only just saw your post and had a look at the YouTube series. Fantastic. Much gratitude for your post. :anjali:
I must agree. The video is amazingly clear for those trying to learn Pali and shows how poorly many English speakers (such as myself) understand English grammar.

:bow:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati