Meditating When Going to Sleep

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
TRobinson465

Re: Meditating When Going to Sleep

Post by TRobinson465 »

Dont sleep experts recommend exactly this for people with insomnia?
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

I've never had very good meditations while lying in bed.
may.all.bliss

Post by may.all.bliss »

Yeah you should train to remain aware when falling asleep, whilst laying on your back. Easiest way to go deep into meditation for sure.

Laying on the backside is how you don't fall asleep but remain aware, then just try to remain still and awake, and you can have the deepest meditations.

It's also how they train people to lucid dream, but then they do it after the first round of deep sleep, when the dreams start, because they are interested in lucid dreams (which is helpful too, as they are often deep and spiritual).

and they don't train it to do it before the first round of sleep,
because supposedly it's too difficult and there are no dreams there.

but for the meditator, the first round of sleep can also be used to remain spiritually alive
Observing

Post by Observing »

When I can't fall asleep, I put my hand on my stomach and note the rising and falling, this almost always puts me to sleep.
Padipa

Post by Padipa »

Any time is a good time to meditate, so long as you have the energy to do so. I find, before sleep, sitting upright, almost always provides me with better sleep. But, there will be times when you are just too tired to meditate: so it depends. As has been mentioned already, it is best to get into a routine. This way, you get acclimated to the situation, whether or not it is just before sleep.