Bowing to the Buddha statue and monks

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Observing

Bowing to the Buddha statue and monks

Post by Observing »

I went and visited a monastery for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I sat in on the chanting, meditated with the sangha, and then heard a dhamma talk followed by more chanting.
I wasn't expecting it, but at some points during the chanting, the monks and other lay practitioners there bowed to the Buddha statue in the dhamma hall. And then I think at the very end of everything, they all bowed to the senior monk who gave the dhamma talk.
I felt like maybe I should have bowed as well, but I honestly didn't understand why they were bowing and I didn't want to perform the action without knowing why.
Don you think the monks considered it disrespectful that I didn't bow? Does anyone know why they were bowing to the Buddha statue and senior monk?
santa100

Re: Bowing to the Buddha statue and monks

Post by santa100 »

Observing wrote:I wasn't expecting it, but at some points during the chanting, the monks and other lay practitioners there bowed to the Buddha statue in the dhamma hall. And then I think at the very end of everything, they all bowed to the senior monk who gave the dhamma talk.
It's a expression of gratitude. You and the audience were receiving the most precious gift above all precious gifts existing in the world: the Buddha's Teaching. The teaching came from the Buddha, so you bow to the original author. The senior monk then propagate it to you and the audience, hence the bowing to the senior monk.
Observing

Post by Observing »

Thank you for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense and makes me want to bow next time :)
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

Observing wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:16 pm I went and visited a monastery for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I sat in on the chanting, meditated with the sangha, and then heard a dhamma talk followed by more chanting.
I wasn't expecting it, but at some points during the chanting, the monks and other lay practitioners there bowed to the Buddha statue in the dhamma hall. And then I think at the very end of everything, they all bowed to the senior monk who gave the dhamma talk.
I felt like maybe I should have bowed as well, but I honestly didn't understand why they were bowing and I didn't want to perform the action without knowing why.
Don you think the monks considered it disrespectful that I didn't bow? Does anyone know why they were bowing to the Buddha statue and senior monk?
I vaguely remember Monks, bound by Vinaya, won't give Dhamma talks if he suspects the audience is not respectful.
The audience must show explicit respect in order to get a talk or get a talk next time.
Maybe not exact but the gist is it.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

As to whether anyone thought your not bowing disrespectful, I think it depends very much upon the tradition in that particular monastery. The monks at my local monastery are mainly westerners, and fully understand that newcomers may not know routines or even feel uncomfortable with them. Providing people are not deliberately disrespectful, they don't seem to care what visitors do. One evening, a newcomer lounged in the "dhamma throne" used for giving talks. Lay visitors were mortified, but monks paid it no attention.

You might be thought a bit disrespectful if the monastery is more culturally homogeneous, but even then it will probably be lay supporters who are more concerned. People are normally just happy that you came, and are very gracious.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Does anyone know why they were bowing to the Buddha statue and senior monk?
I bow to Buddha statue, or any other object of veneration such as Dhatu, Stupas and Bodhi Tree, in order to show humbleness and devotion to the Triple Gems (Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha). I see these objects as symbol of Buddha Sasana.

These are the objects of veneration in Theravada tradition:
Shwedagon-Pagoda-Guide-Sunset.jpg
Stupa often housing relics of Gotama Buddha

1200px-SL_Anuradhapura_asv2020-01_img01_Jaya_Sri_Maha_Bodhi.jpg
Bodhi Tree

1378988359.jpg
Buddharupa

I also pay homage to the Elders (Theras and Theris) in the past and current Sammuti Sangha. For these people are wearing "the banner of Arahants". For that, I will pay respect too in honour of the Sangha.
Abhivadanasilissa
niccam vuddhapacayino
cattaro dhamma vaddhanti
ayu vanno sukham balam.

Verse 109: For one who always respects and honours those who are older and more virtuous, four benefits, viz., longevity, beauty, happiness and strength, will increase.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
BKh

Post by BKh »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:18 pm but even then it will probably be lay supporters who are more concerned. People are normally just happy that you came, and are very gracious.
If this was a Thai or Sri Lankan temple and you are not obviously Thai or Sri Lankan, even the lay people are going to give you a pass on something like that. Now, wearing your shoes in the hall would have caused someone to correct you. But even lay people will appreciate that you don't know what's going on.

However, for the future, I recommend setting aside the concept of "don't want to do something unless the reason why is known." Even people from Buddhist countries may not always know why they are doing the things they are doing in a monastery. If you are concerned with fitting in, please just do whatever everyone else is doing. They certainly won't care if you don't know why you are doing something. And you won't be creating negative karma by doing so.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Red Belly

Post by Red Belly »

BKh wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:39 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:18 pm but even then it will probably be lay supporters who are more concerned. People are normally just happy that you came, and are very gracious.
If this was a Thai or Sri Lankan temple and you are not obviously Thai or Sri Lankan, even the lay people are going to give you a pass on something like that. Now, wearing your shoes in the hall would have caused someone to correct you. But even lay people will appreciate that you don't know what's going on.

However, for the future, I recommend setting aside the concept of "don't want to do something unless the reason why is known." Even people from Buddhist countries may not always know why they are doing the things they are doing in a monastery. If you are concerned with fitting in, please just do whatever everyone else is doing. They certainly won't care if you don't know why you are doing something. And you won't be creating negative karma by doing so.
This is very good advice.