Can I start practising on my own?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
lostitude

Re: Can I start practising on my own?

Post by lostitude »

Thanks everyone for your input!
I've started reading the link provided by Thisperson, and I already feel overwhelmed by the difficulty of vipassana.

I have read the sutra that talks about reaching enlightenment in 7 days if you apply all the aspects of vipassana, and I got high hopes... but maybe I shouldn't :reading:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

lostitude wrote:Thanks everyone for your input!
I've started reading the link provided by Thisperson, and I already feel overwhelmed by the difficulty of vipassana.

I have read the sutra that talks about reaching enlightenment in 7 days if you apply all the aspects of vipassana, and I got high hopes... but maybe I shouldn't :reading:
It can be extremely overwhelming. A good place to start Jack Kornfield's A PATH WITH HEART. While it is not 100% Buddhist, it is a good and practical overview of the practice. The book is worth the time spent with it. And from there you can more confidently explore.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings lostitude,
lostitude wrote:I am not a buddhist (yet) but I was wondering if this journey could be started on one's own. There is no theravada center near where I live, so is it ok to start practising (not just reading books) alone, without personal guidance? or is it likely I will make mistakes and go down the wrong path, waste my time or worse...?
That's how I started 10 years ago, and it was the best decision I ever made.

In the absence of a local Dhamma community, do your best to engage with Dhamma practitioners online and make the most of genuinely spiritual friendship, even with those on other paths.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

lostitude wrote:Hello,

I am not a buddhist (yet) but I was wondering if this journey could be started on one's own. There is no theravada centre near where I live, so is it ok to start practising (not just reading books) alone, without personal guidance? or is it likely I will make mistakes and go down the wrong path, waste my time or worse...?

Thanks!
Hello lostitude,

I think I understand what you mean because I live in a Muslim country where you would never meet a Buddhist in person, let alone a Theravada centre :smile:

What I am going to say reflects my personal opinion only, please keep that in mind.

When you join a group of people, you will be introduced to their use of language, Buddhists in this particular instance use the word "practicing" to describe what they do, and as any beginner, you would interpret the word as you know it from day to day use.

I don't want to say anything confusing, but with time your understanding of what Buddhists means by "practice" might change. However, you will continue to use it simply because everyone do, not because its the most appropriate word to describe what a Buddhist really does.

This forum has a lot of experienced Buddhists that I personally benefit from communicating with and I think you can learn a lot from most members here.

Good luck :smile:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Pinetree

Post by Pinetree »

I haven't checked the link which you describe as overwhelming, but I found this one is certainly very easy to understand and follow.

You have here a basic vipassana meditation guide:

http://www.sirimangalo.org/teachings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a little booklet and few more resources to download. The videos linked are a bit old and outdated, but maybe it's easier to get a general idea if you start with the videos.
Vanda

Post by Vanda »

It is best to start learning, objectively, everything you can on your own. If something doesn't sound right or doesn't make sense to you, then don't accept those ideas for the time being.

accesstoinsight.org is a great place to start, so is delving in to the suttas, a good beginning would be the collections of suttas laid out in the: Digha Nikaya, Majjhima Nikaya, Samyutta Nikaya and Anguttara Nikaya. These can be found translated to English at accesstoinsight.org and else where on the web, as well as in print. Start slowly and delve in to them as you wish.
Last edited by Vanda on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Don’t go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, ‘This contemplative is our teacher.’ When you know for yourselves that, ‘These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted and carried out, lead to welfare and to happiness’ — then you should enter and remain in them.”
- Kalama Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya
tattoogunman

Post by tattoogunman »

This is basically what I have been doing, but there is a point where you hit the proverbial wall a bit if you are new to everything. Where I continue to struggle is that I really can't find a local resource (i.e. a Buddhist temple that can actually speak English) to continue further. It's why I've turned to online sources, but that's hit or miss because you get so many opposing views on things (which isn't necessarily bad).
Vanda

Post by Vanda »

I understand what you are saying. To know the Dhamma, and to put it in to practice though is what is most important. Practice the five precepts... Read the suttas... Then put the 8-fold path in to practice once you gain a strong understanding. You are fortunate to be able to come across the Dhamma, with so much at your disposal. I think the rest will come at some point, in terms of community, sangha, and further support.
“Don’t go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, ‘This contemplative is our teacher.’ When you know for yourselves that, ‘These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted and carried out, lead to welfare and to happiness’ — then you should enter and remain in them.”
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

lostitude wrote:Hello,

I am not a buddhist (yet) but I was wondering if this journey could be started on one's own. There is no theravada center near where I live, so is it ok to start practising (not just reading books) alone, without personal guidance? or is it likely I will make mistakes and go down the wrong path, waste my time or worse...?

Thanks!
Welcome! :anjali:

I was in a similar position when I got into Buddhism, so I can say from personal experience that you definitely can practice Theravada on your own, especially with good resources and people to help you online (Dhammawheel is great for this.)

There are many different traditions within Theravada that have different interpretations of things, differences of emphasis, and different techniques, so I think a good idea would be to take a look at several of the different traditions to see where you want to start out. Broadly speaking, the biggest and most influential traditions within Theravada fit into traditions that come from Burma and traditions that come from Thailand.

Within the Burmese tradition the biggest two are the Mahasi Sayadaw tradition that uses a noting method, and the U Ba Khin/Goenka tradition that uses a body scan method.

Within Thai Buddhism there are the many branches of the Thai forest tradition. There is the Ajahn Lee tradition that is typified by Ajahn Thanissaro, the Ajahn Chah tradition, the Ajahn Brahm spinoff of the Ajahn Chah tradition.

In terms of really explicit practice instructions for meditation, I think the reasources of Ajahn Thanissaro (You can find his books and talks for free here: http://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) or various teachers in the Mahasi Sayadaw tradition (The Ven. Yuttadhammo has a lot of wonderful talks on youtube, and you can get many wonderful ebooks ) are probably the easiest to get a hold of for free.

I also think it would be good to go over the doctrinal side as well. A good basic book is Walpola Rahula's What the Buddha Taught (which you can find a free pdf of online somewhere). Also, the writings of the Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi are very good, especially his anthology In the Buddha's Words. He also has talks on the Majjhima Nikaya which are a wonderful place to start which you can find here: http://bodhimonastery.org/a-systematic- ... ikaya.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apart from that, I can recommend the main scriptural collections in the Tipitika. Bhikkhu Bodhi's translations are very good, but you can get free translations of many of them at http://www.accesstoinsight.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and https://suttacentral.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's about all I can say to a beginner in terms of reasources, but I think that's a lot of material anyways :tongue:

Apart from that all I can say is don't forget moral training (being kind and patient with others, etc...) as an essential part of your practice, and remember that consistency in meditation practice is more important than quantity.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
MaeCheeWannabe

Post by MaeCheeWannabe »

Yes for now keep things simple. Living the five precepts 1.no killing 2.no lies 3.no stealing 4. No sex misconduct 5. No drinking/intoxicant

That and meditation. Then you can add to your practice little by little. To be Buddhist you don't have to necessarily concern over believing every detail like reincarnation or taking every buddhist story literally like jataka tales of talking animals. All a beginner should worry about is 5 precepts and meditation. One does not have to have knowledge of everything. Then build on your beginning with study of life of Buddha, chants, Noble truths, 8 fold path, 10 paramitas ect ect.

Most of all... Take your time and enjoy the journey. If you do not believe or accept something... Its ok. Buddha encouraged doubt and experiencing for yourself. You have permission to not be perfect and make mistakes as long as intentions are good... So relax and enjoy!
:anjali:
Mae Khao Noi
Vanda

Post by Vanda »

MaeCheeWannabe said:
To be Buddhist you don't have to necessarily concern over believing every detail like reincarnation
I hope if one is following Buddha-Dhamma that they don't ever fall in to the belief of reincarnation. Reincarnation is not a concept taught by the Buddha. The Buddha taught punabbhava (“re-becoming”).
tattoogunman

Post by tattoogunman »

Vanda wrote:MaeCheeWannabe said:
To be Buddhist you don't have to necessarily concern over believing every detail like reincarnation
I hope if one is following Buddha-Dhamma that they don't ever fall in to the belief of reincarnation. Reincarnation is not a concept taught by the Buddha. The Buddha taught punabbhava (“re-becoming”).
So how does that factor into the teaching of cessation of Dukkha (suffering) by using the Noble Eightfold Path so that the cycle of rebirth is ended? That would seem to require the belief in reincarnation and the Buddha spoke on this issue A LOT in the various writings - how he saw what people were in their former lives, what realm/world they were reborn in (or were going to be reborn in), etc. I'm debating this whole issue in another thread on here http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?p=350286#p350286" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vanda

Post by Vanda »

It factors in just as you wrote in your first sentence: With the cessation of Dukkha by way of the Noble Eightfold Path the cycle of rebirth is ended.

There is no “self”, no enduring soul that transmigrates to another form. There is no single consciousness that resides as a soul; only eye-consciousness, ear-consciousness, nose-consciousness, tongue-consciousness, body-consciousness, and intellect or mind-consciousness. All are inconstant and changeable. Read up on the paticcasamuppada (dependent origination), this will be helpful to you.

I looked at the other thread, it seems like many topics are being thrown in on that thread.

You can start a new thread if you wish further discussion, just specify exactly what it is you wish to discuss.
tattoogunman

Post by tattoogunman »

Vanda wrote:It factors in just as you wrote in your first sentence: With the cessation of Dukkha by way of the Noble Eightfold Path the cycle of rebirth is ended.

There is no “self”, no enduring soul that transmigrates to another form. There is no single consciousness that resides as a soul; only eye-consciousness, ear-consciousness, nose-consciousness, tongue-consciousness, body-consciousness, and intellect or mind-consciousness. All are inconstant and changeable. Read up on the paticcasamuppada (dependent origination), this will be helpful to you.

I looked at the other thread, it seems like many topics are being thrown in on that thread.

You can start a new thread if you wish further discussion, just specify exactly what it is you wish to discuss.
Maybe I'm just getting confused then - you use "punabbhava (“re-becoming”)" but for all intent and purposes, that is reincarnation as I see it. What is "re-becoming" if it is not reincarnation/rebirth? I'm confused as to how someone can say not to worry about the concept when the entire idea behind the cessation of Dhukkha is stop said cycle and that is what I was talking about. Again, this seems to be a difficult concept for many people to get on board with - I'm trying :tongue:
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

tattoogunman wrote: Maybe I'm just getting confused then - you use "punabbhava (“re-becoming”)" but for all intent and purposes, that is reincarnation as I see it
Its worth noting that the term "reincarnation" isn't used in Theravada. Its a Tibetan Buddhist concept - as in "reincarnate lamas" & so forth.

:anjali: