Nibbana

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Myotai

Nibbana

Post by Myotai »

I'm sorry if this has been covered before - I suspect it has as it's​ a question I'll wager many have pondered before.

Many of the descriptions I read of the final goal seem very much like a complete anihilation rather than an end worthy of so much effort. Having a good solid practice living in a forest in Thailand seems favourable to no sentience at all.

What have I missed in my understanding?

Thanks everyone...
Nicolas

Re: Nibbana

Post by Nicolas »

Life is a meaningless repetition of old age, sickness, death, and constant craving for impermanent things which never satisfy us.
Practicing is effort. Practicing, one still needs to feed and still suffers the elements, on top of the issues mentioned above.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Do you find any happiness in following Buddhas teaching?
If yes, can you gain the same happiness with other means?
If you can gain the same happiness in other means, are there any room for improvement (increase) that happiness?
How permanent is that happiness?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Myotai wrote:What have I missed in my understanding?
Imagine a man's been crossing a big desert for many days. He's totally exhausted due to unbearable heat, thirst, and hunger. Good thing is he's just gotten some info. and direction from a kind-hearted man to a pond where there're shades, food, and water. Take a guess what'd be his priority at the moment: focusing all his heart and mind into reaching that pond, OR thinking about what lies beyond that pond. Now imagine a man sitting comfortably in his room, sipping hot tea, also heard from a kind-hearted man about some pond where there're shades, food, and water. To this man, whether there's something beyond the pond or not would serve no real purpose other than some mere entertaining idea to pass his time, would it not?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

santa100 wrote:
Imagine a man's been crossing a big desert for many days. He's totally exhausted due to unbearable heat, thirst, and hunger. Good thing is he's just gotten some info. and direction from a kind-hearted man to a pond where there're shades, food, and water. Take a guess what'd be his priority at the moment: focusing all his heart and mind into reaching that pond, OR thinking about what lies beyond that pond. Now imagine a man sitting comfortably in his room, sipping hot tea, also heard from a kind-hearted man about some pond where there're shades, food, and water. To this man, whether there's something beyond the pond or not would serve no real purpose other than some mere entertaining idea to pass his time, would it not?
Excellent post. As thought-provoking as it is apposite.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hi Myotai,

I recommend reading "The Island - An Anthology of the Buddha's Teachings on Nibbana" by Ajahn Pasanno & Ajahn Amaro, which also has an introduction on page X111 from Ajahn Sumedho. (Available in epub, pdf, & mobi)

http://www.amaravati.org/dhamma-books/the-island/

:anjali:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sam Vara wrote:
santa100 wrote:
Excellent post. As thought-provoking as it is apposite.
Agree!
But the problem is this man in this desert has no faith in the kind-hearted man.
Another problem is there are many other so called kind-hearted men give him different direction.

:shrug:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Myotai wrote:I'm sorry if this has been covered before - I suspect it has as it's​ a question I'll wager many have pondered before.
The great Nibbana debate:
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22409

1782 posts and counting! Happy reading. :reading:
Zom

Post by Zom »

Many of the descriptions I read of the final goal seem very much like a complete anihilation rather than an end worthy of so much effort.
Ask yourself why you see this as something bad.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ask yourself why you see this as something bad.
I think he does not see this life as Anicca, Dukkha and Anatta.
It appears he is seeking everlasting unchanging happiness in this world. (via six senses)
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

Myotai wrote:I'm sorry if this has been covered before - I suspect it has as it's​ a question I'll wager many have pondered before.

Many of the descriptions I read of the final goal seem very much like a complete anihilation rather than an end worthy of so much effort. Having a good solid practice living in a forest in Thailand seems favourable to no sentience at all.

What have I missed in my understanding?

Thanks everyone...
I suspect that you have reading old translations by early Western scholars or pop Buddhism. As has been discussed many times today and over the centuries the final goal is not death, not annihilation, not sleep, not unconsciousness, not the absence of mental activity. It is not other things as well, but I think you get the drift. However, if you want an authoritative answer you will have to "obtain" the final result. Get cracking!
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

if you want an authoritative answer you will have to "obtain" the final result. Get cracking!
Yes it is DIY.
Nibbana is for people who do not want anything.

Then the question come:
If I do not want anything why I want to attain Nibbana?
If I do not want anything what I am doing here in Dhamma Wheel?
If I do not want anything why I want to be a monk?
If I do not want anything why I have to get up from the bed in the morning?
If I do not want anything why I do not end my life now?
:juggling:
User156079

Post by User156079 »

Nibbana is flawless happiness but it is not cognized or perceived by anyone. It implies only annihilation of conditions for origination of the world, matter, perception, mental volition, feelings and consciousness.
Last edited by User156079 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

SarathW wrote:Nibbana is for people who do not want anything.

Then the question come:
If I do not want anything why I want to attain Nibbana?
If I do not want anything what I am doing here in Dhamma Wheel?
If I do not want anything why I want to be a monk?
If I do not want anything why I have to get up from the bed in the morning?
If I do not want anything why I do not end my life now?
All those questions will automatically be solved once the incorrect premise's been fixed: Nibbana is for people who do want something: the end of Dukkha. See the Park simile.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thank you Santa.
:D
Isn't need something is Dukkha.
Last edited by SarathW on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.