In which sutta does the Buddha explain what no self means?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
sunnat

Re: In which sutta does the Buddha explain what no self means?

Post by sunnat »

from the six sets of six sutta : ""If anyone were to say, 'The eye is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable. The arising & falling away of the eye are discerned. And when its arising & falling away are discerned, it would follow that 'My self arises & falls away.' That's why it wouldn't be tenable if anyone were to say, 'The eye is the self.' So the eye is not-self."

With practice it is understood that all composed things decompose. They rise and pass away as soon as they arise. They are anicca and not amenable to control. Thus they are not self.
dhammacoustic

Post by dhammacoustic »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:45 pm
dhammacoustic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:33 pm 'Natthattā' ti? (no self?)
Natthattā may literally translate as "no self" but I sense the meaning includes an explicit belief in self, as explained in the Buddha's final comment (...)
it includes that as well, but the buddha also states that he'd be siding with the ucchedavadin if he were to declare natthatta.

the buddha's "silence" is understandable, since the question is coming from an unawakened person, who -in his ignorance- thinks he is the atta, or
that he has an atta /possesses the atta , etc..
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

dhammacoustic wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:36 pm the buddha also states that he'd be siding with the ucchedavadin if he were to declare natthatta.
yes, ucchedavadin believes in a self, as follows:
‘This self is physical, made up of the four primary elements, and produced by mother and father. Since it’s annihilated and destroyed when the body breaks up, and doesn’t exist after death, that’s how this self becomes rightly annihilated.’

‘yato kho, bho, ayaṃ attā rūpī cātumahābhūtiko mātāpettikasambhavo kāyassa bhedā ucchijjati vinassati, na hoti paraṃ maraṇā, ettāvatā kho, bho, ayaṃ attā sammā samucchinno hotī’ti.

That is how some assert the annihilation of an existing being.

Ittheke sato sattassa ucchedaṃ vināsaṃ vibhavaṃ paññapenti.

https://suttacentral.net/dn1/en/sujato
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
dhammacoustic

Post by dhammacoustic »

DooDoot wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:15 am yes, ucchedavadin believes in a self, (...)
ucchedavadin doesn't "believe" in a self, they think that the four great elements alone create one's experience , ie, they're metaphysical materialists..

when they say "atta", they're basically talking about their bodily sensations, and thoughts, which they're intellectually (or emotionally) identified with..naturally [with such a vinnana / not seeing anatta] they have no other option but to regard the khandhas as me/ mine..
robertk

Post by robertk »

dhammacoustic wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:08 am
DooDoot wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:15 am yes, ucchedavadin believes in a self, (...)
ucchedavadin doesn't "believe" in a self, they think that the four great elements alone create one's experience , ie, they're metaphysical materialists..

when they say "atta", they're basically talking about their bodily sensations, and thoughts, which they're intellectually (or emotionally) identified with..naturally [with such a vinnana / not seeing anatta] they have no other option but to regard the khandhas as me/ mine..
So in short, they believe in a self, a material one. Still a common view and sometimes called the scientific picture of the world.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

dhammacoustic wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:08 am ucchedavadin doesn't "believe" in a self,
It appears the message of the sutta i quoted is ucchedavadin believes a 'self' ends at 'death'. Regards
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

dhammacoustic wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:08 am ucchedavadin doesn't "believe" in a self, they think that the four great elements alone create one's experience , ie, they're metaphysical materialists..
The materialist is only one kind of ucchedavādin. The Brahmajālasutta describes six others. As ucchedavādins they all agree that there's a self that gets zapped at death, but disagree about its nature before it gets zapped.

https://legacy.suttacentral.net/en/dn1
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
dhammacoustic

Post by dhammacoustic »

ven. dhammanando, right , thanks..
robertk wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:32 am So in short, they believe in a self, a material one. Still a common view and sometimes called the scientific picture of the world.
is there really a need to call it a "belief"?? self-denial is simply impossible, naturally all humans tend to identify themselves in some way.
DooDoot wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:53 am It appears the message of the sutta i quoted is ucchedavadin believes a 'self' ends at 'death'. Regards
i reckon we all intellectually know that our being ends in death, so why call it a belief?
robertk

Post by robertk »

dhammacoustic wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:35 am ven. dhammanando, right , thanks..
robertk wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:32 am So in short, they believe in a self, a material one. Still a common view and sometimes called the scientific picture of the world.
is there really a need to call it a "belief"?? self-denial is simply impossible, naturally all humans tend to identify themselves in some way.
DooDoot wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:53 am It appears the message of the sutta i quoted is ucchedavadin believes a 'self' ends at 'death'. Regards
i reckon we all intellectually know that our being ends in death, so why call it a belief?
It depends The man in the street might not give much thought to questions of existence. But if they do, and if they have been influenced by 'scientific' ideas about life ending at death or whatnot, inevitably they fall into a materialist based wrong view.
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

DooDoot wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:15 am
dhammacoustic wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:36 pm the buddha also states that he'd be siding with the ucchedavadin if he were to declare natthatta.
yes, ucchedavadin believes in a self, as follows:
‘.....
YES, ucchedavadin believes in a self.
NO, Buddha NEVER stated that he'd be siding with the ucchedavadin.

Nice move Doodoot!
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:43 am
dhammacoustic wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:08 am ucchedavadin doesn't "believe" in a self, they think that the four great elements alone create one's experience , ie, they're metaphysical materialists..
The materialist is only one kind of ucchedavādin. The Brahmajālasutta describes six others. As ucchedavādins they all agree that there's a self that gets zapped at death, but disagree about its nature before it gets zapped.

https://legacy.suttacentral.net/en/dn1
so arhants are ucchedavadin?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:24 am so arhants are ucchedavadin?
Being free of both personality view and the 'I am' conceit arahants don't hold to even the subtlest conception of 'self'. That being so, they would be neither of the view that there's a self that's perishable nor that there's a self that's eternal.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Dhammanando wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:46 am
confusedlayman wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:24 am so arhants are ucchedavadin?
Being free of both personality view and the 'I am' conceit arahants don't hold to even the subtlest conception of 'self'. That being so, they would be neither of the view that there's a self that's perishable nor that there's a self that's eternal.
but they think or know tat after breakup of body, there is no expereince?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:50 am but they think or know tat after breakup of body, there is no expereince?
It would seem so. If you read how the arahant monks and nuns of the Theragāthā and Therīgāthā speak of their impending death, the commonest refrain is "I delight not in death, I delight not in life," which is then followed either by, "I await my time like a hireling his wages" or "I await my time clearly comprehending and mindful." None of them voice even the slightest anticipation of anything after that in the way that Christian saints, Islamic martyrs and suchlike usually do.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Lost1984

Post by Lost1984 »

I just made a thread about this.

This is my interpretation.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=35962

:goodpost: