What is this chant?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
lek

What is this chant?

Post by lek »

Hello, after the Homage to the Blessed One, I'm hearing a Theravada monk chant something similar to:

butang (Or putang? I believe the root may refer to the Buddha) dhammang sangkan namassaami

I can find "Dhammang namassaami" in a couple of chanting guides I have ("I do homage to the Dhamma"), but oddly can't find this particular chant anywhere--even Google, which is usually good at suggesting variations, turns up empty. It's strange, because from the way it is used, it seems like a standard conclusion to the Namaskaraya.

Could anyone familiar with this chant explain, and would you happen to have a link to a source for it?

Thank you.
mikenz66

Re: What is this chant?

Post by mikenz66 »

lek wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:41 am butang (Or putang? I believe the root may refer to the Buddha) dhammang sangkan namassaami
I believe it's a sort of abbreviation of:
Arahaṁ sammā-sambuddho bhagavā.
The Blessed One is Worthy & Rightly Self-awakened.
Buddhaṁ bhagavantaṁ abhivādemi.
I bow down before the Awakened, Blessed One.
(BOW DOWN)
Svākkhāto bhagavatā dhammo.
The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One.
Dhammaṁ namassāmi.
I pay homage to the Dhamma.
(BOW DOWN)
Supaṭipanno bhagavato sāvaka-saṅgho.
The Saṅgha of the Blessed One’s disciples has practiced well.
Saṅghaṁ namāmi.
I pay respect to the Saṅgha.
(BOW DOWN)
https://www.dhammatalks.org/books/Chant ... _toc_id_11
"Homage to the Buddha, Dhamma, Saṅgha..."
:heart:
Mike
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

lek wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:41 am Could anyone familiar with this chant explain, and would you happen to have a link to a source for it?
It's what a monk or a nun in the Ajahn Chah tradition will recite before delivering a Dhamma talk. I can't recall ever hearing it being communally chanted, but I notice that it is included in this chanting book from an Ajahn Chah-affiliated Buddhist association in France.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato sammāsambuddhassa (3x)

Hommage à celui qui est digne de compagnie, au Parfait Méritant, parvenu à l'Éveil suprême.

Buddhaṃ, dhammaṃ, saṅghaṃ namassāmi.
Nous nous prosternons devant le Buddha, le Dhamma et le Saṅgha
But I see they've mistranslated it. Either the Pali should be changed to namassāma or the French to Je me prosterne...

http://vivekarama.fr/wp-content/uploads ... -nonne.pdf
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta
lek

Post by lek »

Oh I see, homage to the Buddha Dhamma Sangha.

Thank you mikenz66 and Dhammanando!