What is the origin of Abhidhamma?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

Abhidhamma... Who taught it to whom? Why people say it's not something that the Buddha might have taught?

Please help me.
TRobinson465

Re: What is the origin of Abhidhamma?

Post by TRobinson465 »

It depends, classically in Theravada its believed the Buddha taught it to devas when he was spending his vassa in tavatimsa, he then came down to earth each day and taught it to Ven. Sariputta who organized it into its traditional form.

Many modern scholars believe it was a later addition however, due to things like syntax and concepts not lining up with the proper time period or something like that. Although some scholars do theorize that, due the abhidhamma existing across multiple early Buddhist schools, that it was perhaps based on common existing material that actually was taught by the Buddha, but was changed into its current form some time after, which would explain why scholars think it was written in a way consistent with a few hundred years Post Buddhist era.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.
Faelig

Post by Faelig »

BlueLotus wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:43 am Abhidhamma... Who taught it to whom? Why people say it's not something that the Buddha might have taught?

Please help me.
Just read its content and judge for yourself.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Hi,

I am not an expert in any sense of the word, hence I cannot speak for scholars nor Theravada.

But for myself I can see that, there is an Abhidhamma in the Suttas themselves or at least an Abhidhamma accessible to the Blessed One and some Disciples.
Uppādā vā, bhikkhave, tathāgatānaṃ anuppādā vā tathāgatānaṃ, ṭhitāva sā dhātu dhammaṭṭhitatā dhammaniyāmatā

Monks, whether or not there is the arising of Tathagatas, this property stands — this steadfastness of the Dhamma, this orderliness of the Dhamma
The Tathagata directly awakens to that, breaks through to that. Directly awakening & breaking through to that, he declares it, teaches it, describes it, sets it forth. He reveals it, explains it, & makes it plain
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Uppādā vā tathāgatānaṃ anuppādā vā tathāgatānaṃ, ṭhitāva sā dhātu dhammaṭṭhitatā dhammaniyāmatā idappaccayatā

Whether or not there is the arising of Tathagatas, this property stands — this regularity of the Dhamma, this orderliness of the Dhamma, this this/that conditionality
Lord, when wise nobles or brahmans, householders or contemplatives, having formulated questions, come to the Tathagata and ask him, does this line of reasoning appear to his awareness beforehand — 'If those who approach me ask this, I — thus asked — will answer in this way' — or does the Tathagata come up with the answer on the spot?"

"In that case, prince, I will ask you a counter-question. Answer as you see fit. What do you think: are you skilled in the parts of a chariot?"

"Yes, lord. I am skilled in the parts of a chariot."

"And what do you think: When people come & ask you, 'What is the name of this part of the chariot?' does this line of reasoning appear to your awareness beforehand — 'If those who approach me ask this, I — thus asked — will answer in this way' — or do you come up with the answer on the spot?"

"Lord, I am renowned for being skilled in the parts of a chariot. All the parts of a chariot are well-known to me. I come up with the answer on the spot."

"In the same way, prince, when wise nobles or brahmans, householders or contemplatives, having formulated questions, come to the Tathagata and ask him, he comes up with the answer on the spot.

Why is that?

Because the property of the Dhamma is thoroughly penetrated by the Tathagata. From his thorough penetration of the property of the Dhamma, he comes up with the answer on the spot.
_Sā hi, rājakumāra, tathāgatassa dhammadhātu suppaṭividdhā yassā dhammadhātuyā suppaṭividdhattā ṭhānasovetaṃ tathāgataṃ paṭibhātī”ti
Bhikkhu, the Venerable Sāriputta has thoroughly penetrated that element of the Dhamma by the thorough penetration of which, if I were to question him about that matter with various terms and with various methods for up to seven days and nights, for up to seven days and nights he would be able to answer me with various terms and with various methods

Sā hi, bhikkhu, sāriputtassa dhammadhātu suppaṭividdhā, yassā dhammadhātuyā suppaṭividdhattā divasaṃ cepāhaṃ sāriputtaṃ etamatthaṃ puccheyyaṃ aññamaññehi padehi aññamaññehi pariyāyehi, divasampi me sāriputto etamatthaṃ byākareyya aññamaññehi padehi aññamaññehi pariyāyehi......
https://suttacentral.net/sn12.32/en/bodhi
New Concise Pali English Dictionary

Dhammadhātu

the element, the sphere, the range, of dhamma and/or dhammas
As I see it, since we no longer have the Blessed One and Greater Disciples, the Abhidhamma is the the most detailed access to the Dhammadhatu we currently have.

The Suttas are like the prescriptions given to individual patients by a Great Doctor and the Abhidhamma is like the theory of medicine itself.
O seeing one,we for refuge go to thee!
O mighty sage do thou our teacher be!

Paccuppannañca yo dhammaṃ,
Tattha tattha vipassati

“Yato yato mano nivāraye,
Na dukkhameti naṃ tato tato;
Sa sabbato mano nivāraye,
Sa sabbato dukkhā pamuccatī”ti.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

BlueLotus wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:43 am Abhidhamma... Who taught it to whom? Why people say it's not something that the Buddha might have taught?

Please help me.
see also this long thread on this subject:
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2169
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

Read this:

https://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg ... dharma.pdf