Big beings?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
confusedlayman

Big beings?

Post by confusedlayman »

where r those big beings and long life beings? Why their fossil fuel not discovered? Were they in this earth or another earth?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
2600htz

Re: Big beings?

Post by 2600htz »

Hi:

Like dinosaurs?. If you mean previous beings like humans with larger lifespans that appear on the suttas, its so long ago that there are no fossils.

Regards.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

2600htz wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:18 pm Hi:

Like dinosaurs?. If you mean previous beings like humans with larger lifespans that appear on the suttas, its so long ago that there are no fossils.

Regards.
but are they in our earth or another planet before big bang?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:49 pm
2600htz wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:18 pm Hi:

Regards.
but are they in our earth or another planet before big bang?
In AN 5.180, the Buddha smiles while arriving at certain place. Ananda ask him why he smiled, and he told him that in the very same place in the past there was a city, and the Buddha Kassapa lived there.

In DN 14, the Buddha recounts how the six buddhas of the past lived. There he states: "at the time of the Buddha Kassapa, 20.000 years was the lifespan of humans".

I dont remember where you can look up just how long ago Kassapa lived, but it seems in our very same earth is where humans lived for so long as 20.000, 40.000, 80.000 years. Even more, on the same asian continent.

Also, there is a sutta where the Buddha explains "there can only be one Buddha at a time per Solar System". So it is fair to assume there are Buddhas
in other solar systems, where pretty much same thing happens.

Regards.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

They dont have fossils becuase they were born by oppapatika (spontaneous arising)
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

2600htz wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:23 pm
I dont remember where you can look up just how long ago Kassapa lived, but it seems in our very same earth is where humans lived for so long as 20.000, 40.000, 80.000 years. Even more, on the same asian continent.
Its in the Buddhavamsa

https://tipitaka.fandom.com/wiki/Buddhavamsa

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
pops

Post by pops »

Also, there is a sutta where the Buddha explains "there can only be one Buddha at a time per Solar System". So it is fair to assume there are Buddhas

Regards.
I'm pretty sure it's not one Buddha at a time per Solar System. I remember more like 'system of worlds'. Maybe a galaxy is meant. Care to investigate which sutta we are speaking of? I don't have any clue, where i read it. But it was a sutta, that i'm sure of.
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

pops wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:30 pm

Regards.
I'm pretty sure it's not one Buddha at a time per Solar System. I remember more like 'system of worlds'. Maybe a galaxy is meant. Care to investigate which sutta we are speaking of? I don't have any clue, where i read it. But it was a sutta, that i'm sure of.
Hi:

From MN-115
They understand: ‘It’s impossible for two perfected ones, fully awakened Buddhas to arise in the same solar system at the same time. But it is possible for just one perfected one, a fully awakened Buddha, to arise in one solar system.’ They understand: ‘It’s impossible for two wheel-turning monarchs to arise in the same solar system at the same time. But it is possible for just one wheel-turning monarch to arise in one solar system.’
But you are right, this "solar system" quote i have only seen it in Bhikkhu Sujato translation. I think its Bhikkhu Bodhi´s the one that translate as "world system". I do not know which one is correct, and probably some people believe its a solar system, others a universe, others a galaxy, etc.

Regards.
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

What's the word in Pali?
pops

Post by pops »

2600htz wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:02 pm From MN-115
They understand: ‘It’s impossible for two perfected ones, fully awakened Buddhas to arise in the same solar system at the same time. But it is possible for just one perfected one, a fully awakened Buddha, to arise in one solar system.’ They understand: ‘It’s impossible for two wheel-turning monarchs to arise in the same solar system at the same time. But it is possible for just one wheel-turning monarch to arise in one solar system.’
But you are right, this "solar system" quote i have only seen it in Bhikkhu Sujato translation. I think its Bhikkhu Bodhi´s the one that translate as "world system". I do not know which one is correct, and probably some people believe its a solar system, others a universe, others a galaxy, etc.

Regards.
Thanks for your efforts.

I asked because i think its no minor detail. In my opinion the idea 'solar system' can be misleading for those who have greater understanding but still (some) doubts. Don't ask me why, i couldn't explain it properly and it's not really important compared to the core of his teachings.

I think it would be right to speak of the whole universe (not only a single galaxy as i stated it in my last post) and not of one single solar system.

Thanks again.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

we can't travel to Proxima b

hence per world, is logical
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

2600htz wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:02 pm
pops wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:30 pm

Regards.
Hi:

From MN-115

Regards.
The word being translated as solar system is "lokadhātu" I believe. Which in most texts ive read is usually translated as "world system". Assuming im matching up the Pali words correctly then the world system includes the whole nine yards of Buddhist cosmology as a galaxy made up of one thousand of these world systems has "a thousand moons, a thousand suns, a thousand Sinerus king of mountains, a thousand Indias, a thousand Western Continents, a thousand Northern Continents, a thousand Eastern Continents, four thousand oceans, four thousand Great Kings, a thousand realms of the Gods of the Four Great Kings, a thousand realms of the Gods of the Thirty-Three, of the Gods of Yama, of the Joyful Gods, of the Gods who Love to Create, of the Gods who Control the Creations of Others, and a thousand Brahmā realms."

Which would imply more than just the solar system as we know it in modern science. I believe its one Buddha per set of 31 realms of existence is what he was saying.

https://suttacentral.net/an3.80/en/sujato
Last edited by TRobinson465 on Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyson

Post by Tyson »

cappuccino wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:41 pm we can't travel to Proxima b

Perhaps we should try to contact the Romulans?
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Tyson wrote:
cappuccino wrote: we can't travel to Proxima b
Perhaps we should try to contact the Romulans?
Proxima Centauri b
Tyson

Post by Tyson »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:34 am
Proxima Centauri b
:thumbsup: