No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
not myself today

Re: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth

Post by not myself today »

Immerse yourself in the Buddha’s teaching for a while, then step back and take a big-picture view of what you’ve encountered and you cannot but see that the Buddha may be trusted as one trusts one’s own mother, or father, or whoever one might have known whose word one has trusted implicitly. Because what would have been his motivation to deceive everyone who has encountered his teaching since he first set turning the wheel of the Dhamma? And how could he have deceived anyone by teaching them to take nothing, not even what he himself taught, on blind faith, but to test every assertion for oneself, accepting it as truth only when one has seen for oneself that it is so?

On this basis I myself consider the Buddha supremely trustworthy. So if he taught a doctrine of rebirth (as indeed he did), then for my part I am quite satisfied that there is rebirth.

And yes, there is also the option of practicing so diligently as to attain Nibbana in this very life. It’s a lofty goal, but not unattainable.

Just my $0.02...
Ian

Not in the faults of others
nor what they did or failed to do,
but in oneself should be sought
things done, things left undone.

- Dhammapada 4.50
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

not myself today wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:50 am Immerse yourself in the Buddha’s teaching for a while, then step back and take a big-picture view of what you’ve encountered and you cannot but see that the Buddha may be trusted as one trusts one’s own mother, or father, or whoever one might have known whose word one has trusted implicitly. Because what would have been his motivation to deceive everyone who has encountered his teaching since he first set turning the wheel of the Dhamma? And how could he have deceived anyone by teaching them to take nothing, not even what he himself taught, on blind faith, but to test every assertion for oneself, accepting it as truth only when one has seen for oneself that it is so?

On this basis I myself consider the Buddha supremely trustworthy. So if he taught a doctrine of rebirth (as indeed he did), then for my part I am quite satisfied that there is rebirth.

And yes, there is also the option of practicing so diligently as to attain Nibbana in this very life. It’s a lofty goal, but not unattainable.

Just my $0.02...
Hello, dear friend.

You have brought tears to my eyes. What you say is so, so true.

Much love to you.

Peace and enlightenment. :namaste:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
not myself today

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:01 pm Hello, dear friend.

You have brought tears to my eyes. What you say is so, so true.

Much love to you.

Peace and enlightenment. :namaste:
And thank *you*, friend. Your response assures me that I have done well. :anjali:
Ian

- Dhammapada 4.50
not myself today

zerotime wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:50 am
Inedible wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:03 pm Time to see for myself. The Four Noble Truths felt like coming home for the first time in my life and I knew it then. I'm a Buddhist.
very nice words. Dhamma is a like true home, no more absolute alone :namaste:
And your own words, zerotime. Very lovely. =) Thank you. :anjali:
Ian

- Dhammapada 4.50