Buddhist birthdays

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
The2nd

Buddhist birthdays

Post by The2nd »

The human birth begins at the stage of the embryo, not at the stage whereby it exists the womb. Therefore, we who calculate our age from date of womb-exist, are actually ± 9 months older than previously thought.
Dhammanando

Re: Buddhist birthdays

Post by Dhammanando »

Are you asking if this is the case?

If so, the answer is yes, but only in one context, namely, when determining whether a man is old enough to be ordained as a bhikkhu. Here the Vinaya equates "birth" (jāti) with conception rather than with parturition and so the man's age will be calculated by adding on a few months.

Ajahn Thanissaro:
An applicant for full Acceptance must be at least twenty years old, counting from the time his consciousness first arose at conception in his mother's womb. As this is difficult — if not impossible — to date with any accuracy, the usual practice in calculating a person's age is to add six months to the number of years since his birth, to allow for his having been born prematurely. As the Commentary notes, a baby born after seven months in the womb may survive, but one born after only six months won't.
(Buddhist Monastic Code)
Svākkhātaṃ brahmacariyaṃ, sandiṭṭhikam’akālikaṃ,
Yattha amoghā pabbajjā, appamattassa sikkhato.

“The holy life is well proclaimed,
directly visible, immediate,
Where not in vain is the going forth
of one who trains heedfully.”
— Sela Sutta
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I think there are a few cultures that count birth from around conception, rather than the cutting of the umbilical cord.

I wonder if some modern cultures would have been less receptive to abortion, if we had counted birth age from conception rather than the pregnancy coming to term.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

to be honest buddhist shouldnt be too concerned about bdays as they are just another day .. however we celebrate buddha bday because to get spritual motivation but our bdays are not like that its just counting the duration of illusion self ..
dont think
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

In the conventional sense, a birthday is a good thing. It is your own astrological New Year's Day celebration. It is time to look at how you did the previous year and adjust your goals moving forward. Anything you start at this time has a bigger impact on the next year than things started at other times. Sun conjunct sun brings a burst of personal power.

As for a Buddhist Birthday, I would have tried harder to remember the date if I had known it's significance. It would have been when I made it official as a convert to Buddhism. Until that point it was just something I was doing on my own, and after I had become a part of the Sangha. If I outlive my wife and become a monk in my old age I will be able to say I'm like two or three years old. I'll know to remember the date next time.
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:38 pm to be honest buddhist shouldnt be too concerned about bdays as they are just another day .. however we celebrate buddha bday because to get spritual motivation but our bdays are not like that its just counting the duration of illusion self ..
I sort of agree with that. There is nothing immoral about celebrating your birthday but it does give rise to a strong association with the "I". LOL. Being overly concerned with one's birthday can lead to a fear of getting older as well. But, again, there is nothing inherently wrong with celebrating your birthday.

Our life doesn't begin technically with any one conception because we are just a stream of consciousness that goes from life to life to life.

:namaste:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

The2nd wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:08 am The human birth begins at the stage of the embryo, not at the stage whereby it exists the womb. Therefore, we who calculate our age from date of womb-exist, are actually ± 9 months older than previously thought.
These aggregates often don't even remember their birthday, until mother phones.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati