Importance of Asceticism

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Nito

Importance of Asceticism

Post by Nito »

Hello all,

i wanted to ask how important asceticism in Buddhism is. Especially for people who just „started buddhism“ i.e. to what extent should they begin to absent from unpleasant things and from what things foremost.

Thank you in advance!
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Importance of Asceticism

Post by DNS »

For a beginner, one could start with avoiding intoxicants; alcohol, drugs, cigarettes and see how that effects the mind and alertness, mindfulness. Later one could try further forms of renunciation, for example trying not to eat beyond noon or alternatively trying not to eat too much, not too many "comfort" foods, sweets, etc.
Padipa

Post by Padipa »

DNS wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:57 pm For a beginner, one could start with avoiding intoxicants; alcohol, drugs, cigarettes and see how that effects the mind and alertness, mindfulness. Later one could try further forms of renunciation, for example trying not to eat beyond noon or alternatively trying not to eat too much, not too many "comfort" foods, sweets, etc.
Agreed!

The best way to change is to go about it slowly: make little gains, then build on them. This reverses negative inertia & develops confidence. Hiking the highest mountains requires acclimatization for most people.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Lay people are expected to observe the five precepts and eight precepts in Uposatha days.
You can start practicing this to the level of your ability and increase the intensity as you go.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

"Bhikkhus, these two extremes ought not to be cultivated by one gone forth from the house-life. What are the two? There is devotion to indulgence of pleasure in the objects of sensual desire, which is inferior, low, vulgar, ignoble, and leads to no good; and there is devotion to self-torment, which is painful, ignoble and leads to no good.
Dhamma-cakka-ppavattana-sutta
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

It is normal for the mind to be pulled in many directions at the same time. It is easier to see this happening when you are trying to meditate. The purpose of asceticism is to try to reduce the tendencies of the mind to keep jumping from distraction to distraction. It is why you keep hearing about training in mindfulness and being present in the moment. This is responding to symptoms and it is important work, but good asceticism helps by going to the causes.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

The holy life, asceticism, is the heart of the Buddhadhamma, but not everyone is in suitable circumstances in their life to become an ascetic. Donate is what you can do as someone who "just started Buddhism." So many don't.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Nito wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:25 pm Hello all,

i wanted to ask how important asceticism in Buddhism is. Especially for people who just „started buddhism“ i.e. to what extent should they begin to absent from unpleasant things and from what things foremost.

Thank you in advance!
It's important in the middle of the path. For beginners, their focus should be theoretical understanding (sutta study, right view) and the virtue training (5 precepts).
not myself today

Post by not myself today »

DNS wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:57 pm For a beginner, one could start with avoiding intoxicants; alcohol, drugs, cigarettes and see how that effects the mind and alertness, mindfulness. Later one could try further forms of renunciation, for example trying not to eat beyond noon or alternatively trying not to eat too much, not too many "comfort" foods, sweets, etc.
This, as they say online these days.
Ian

Not in the faults of others
nor what they did or failed to do,
but in oneself should be sought
things done, things left undone.

- Dhammapada 4.50
Alino

Post by Alino »

We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"