Is it good karma to be born as a westerner?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
bpallister

Re: Is it good karma to be born as a westerner?

Post by bpallister »

Did you do bad kamma in your past lives, Gwi?
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

As one nears the end of the path an issue becomes being homeless without possessions, without ties. To have the ready opportunity to dwell among likeminded others in a society that supports the homeless lifestyle and values elders is a consideration. More so than having an internet connection, for example.
samseva

Post by samseva »

Why would being born a westerner be better than being born a non-westerner? There are rich and poor people in every country, and most people in other countries live prosperous and happy lives. Maybe not with the latest technology, and things like that, but is that criteria that makes living life better?

I think many westerners look at people without modern amenities/luxurious, surrounded by trees and so on, and maybe think, "how could I ever live like that, it must be horrible!" When such people are actually happy, and it's mostly just attachments to those modern luxurious that makes one think like that.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

I think being born as a Westerner is definitely a hindrance to the practice as we have become way too comfortable in the Western world.