Newbie Impermanence topic question.

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
cappuccino

Re: Newbie Impermanence topic question.

Post by cappuccino »

Aloka wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:37 pm because impermanence is a simple fact of life which affects us all.
such is the secular Buddhist view

whereas… actually… impermanence is transcendental
befriend

Post by befriend »

Developing the perception of impermanence reduces greed hate and delusion making positive emotions like love more dominant than before developing perception of impermanence. People still exist even though thought, feelings, conciousness, perceptions, body are impermanent.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Perception of Impermanence SN 22.102 (Bhikkhu Bodhi translation) :

https://suttacentral.net/sn22.102/en/bodhi

:anjali:
Last edited by Aloka on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Aloka wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:37 pm
David.Mik wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:09 am Hello, as a new student , I am having great trouble understanding the concept of impermanence. I read passages " We will not struggle for fame, money, or lust anymore because we know that these things are temporary " -- Tich T. Tu. . I understand this concept perfectly, except when I apply it to good things. I mean why even wake up in the morning if its temporary, or why do good things for others , or work a good job, or live at all for that matter, if its only temporary therefore not worth doing. Good things are just as temporary and unproductive as non good things according to the teaching. So my question is, the impermanence thinking works well for avoiding bad things, but how can we then justify doing anything good as well, that is my confusion with this idea. Thank you for all help.
Accepting impermanence doesn't stop us from loving our relatives, going out to work, helping others and so on, because impermanence is a simple fact of life which affects us all.

The section "Impermanence" from page 53 of this little book "No Ajahn Chah" explains it well.

:anjali:
how come impermanence dont stop from loving anything or anyone? isn't it the impermanence the reason to give up desire to loved ones attachment?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

Ajahn Brahm tells us that we can love without being attached.

We can eat good food and not be attached...

But, yes, all phenomena is impermanent - it cannot be disputed.

We can know that all things are empty of inherent existence. We can even intellectually understand impermanence very, very well. But the bigger question is: Do we know it deep in our bones. That is what brings liberation.

May you all fulfill your deepest wish for happiness. :anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha