Conflict schools of thought on meditation in Theravada?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
dpcalder

Conflict schools of thought on meditation in Theravada?

Post by dpcalder »

I had asked a question earlier about the jhanas during meditation, the importance of eradicating the five hindrances and of moral purification, but it is becoming clear to me that there are differences in opinion concerning how elaborate our approach to meditation should be.

The New Burmese Method appears to be close to what I have instinctively practiced (I am not saying that this is correct -- I could be wrong of course). My approach has been to get the six sense doors to ensure moral purification, to study the Suttas and internalize the basic concepts of Buddhism, to use mindfulness to maximize moral purity and avoid distraction from what results from them during meditation, and then to just focus on the breath coming and going from my nostrils, being mindful of any changes or sensations in mind or body.

Is this approach too simplistic? It does not contain elaborate understanding of the jhanas, although I am mindful of switching into new states of mind.

Also: Can you guys provide me some kind of guide to different schools of thought in Theravada Buddhism? What methods would be opposed to the New Burmese Method be and what would their intellectual heritage be like? who created or came up with them and in what works?
2600htz

Re: Conflict schools of thought on meditation in Theravada?

Post by 2600htz »

Hi:

If you are new to meditation i would advice you to just take the word of someone else and stick with that, become good at that. Instead of swimming into a sea of doubt and search of the "real meditation".

But you are right, there are variety of interpretations, meditation is too subtle. You have sutta based, visuddhimagga, vipassanas goenka style, forest traditions, mahayanas, etc.

Regards.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

2600htz wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:29 am ...If you are new to meditation i would advice you to just take the word of someone else and stick with that...
But the word of whom. I was taught to focus on the sensation of the air flowing in and out through the nose and as soon as I notice any thoughts (plans, memories, reflections, etc.) I must cut them off and let them go, and take the mind back to the breath. And that's it.

But inevitably I too have doubts. The more I read and learn about meditation the more I question this approach.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

mjaviem wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:27 pm
2600htz wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:29 am ...If you are new to meditation i would advice you to just take the word of someone else and stick with that...
But the word of whom. I was taught to focus on the sensation of the air flowing in and out through the nose and as soon as I notice any thoughts (plans, memories, reflections, etc.) I must cut them off and let them go, and take the mind back to the breath. And that's it.

But inevitably I too have doubts. The more I read and learn about meditation the more I question this approach.
Well thats my point, stop reading about meditation. Go to a teacher, someone that has spended time practicing, reading, and figuring out the practice, and do what he tolds, believe what he tolds.

As to whom. Well thats up to your personal discernment of what a "good teacher" is. I would go for someone with high credentials, that teaches out of personal experience, is hopefully an ordained monk, and what he teaches is backed up by the suttas first, and also by other buddhist texts if you are into commentaries or traditions.

This way you avoid wandering in forums for years (even decades) and reading endless number of books looking for the "right meditation" on your own. Even if after a couple of years you find it was not the perfect practice, if it was the practice of a respected teacher it would probably work as a foundation for the next one.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

dpcalder wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:30 pm ... then to just focus on the breath coming and going from my nostrils, being mindful of any changes or sensations in mind or body.
It sounds like the above is not bringing any results. If it brought results, why would you be asking questions?
dpcalder wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:30 pm It does not contain elaborate understanding of the jhanas, although I am mindful of switching into new states of mind.
Jhanas do not involve any "switching". Jhanas simply develop naturally with the mastery of breath awareness.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
bodom

Post by bodom »

Please be mindful that this is the Discovering Theravada forum and the guidelines therein:
The purpose of the Theravāda for Beginners forum is to enable beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to learn more about the Theravada Buddhist tradition.

To support this purpose, responses made by members need to be manually approved by a moderator or administrator before being made visible.

When responding to questions in this section, please do your best to appropriately and accurately represent the Theravada tradition, keeping your posts free of:

- Personal opinion
- The perspectives of other religions or Buddhist traditions
- Derision of alternative views
- Irrelevancies and idle chatter

When it comes to questions seeking clarification on contentious issues we are looking for responses that are balanced and present alternative points of view objectively.

Moderators aim to assess posts within a maximum of 12 hours. If your post is not approved (in part or in whole) we will endeavour to explain why via PM.

Thank you for your assistance.
:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB