Can You Be Attached To Having a Clean Kitchen?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
ivyowl

Post by ivyowl »

Since not having a super clean kitchen all the time would lead to attracting bugs which then needs to be killed, is it ethical to be unhappy or upset if you find yourself in a circumstance where keeping/having a clean kitchen all the isn't possible? Or should you practice non attachment over this issue?
one_awakening

Re: Can You Be Attached To Having a Clean Kitchen?

Post by one_awakening »

If it's an attachment then it will lead suffering and will need to be let go of at some stage
“You only lose what you cling to”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

ivyowl wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:18 am Since not having a super clean kitchen all the time would lead to attracting bugs which then needs to be killed, is it ethical to be unhappy or upset if you find yourself in a circumstance where keeping/having a clean kitchen all the isn't possible? Or should you practice non attachment over this issue?
I tell my wife I am practising non-attachment :jumping:

I think the short answer is that a wholesome desire to keep one's environment clean is OK. It only becomes an attachment if it causes worry and stress when you can't do it.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I don't think maintaining a sensible level of hygiene around food can be classed as "attachment", its just common sense.

From the internet:

10 Reasons Why You Should Keep a Clean Kitchen

https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools ... itchen.htm

:anjali:
Last edited by Aloka on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

A clean house and kitchen definitely keeps bugs away, avoiding the 1st precept issue. I prefer a clean environment, especially during the pandemic.
Padipa

Post by Padipa »

ivyowl wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:18 am Since not having a super clean kitchen all the time would lead to attracting bugs which then needs to be killed, is it ethical to be unhappy or upset if you find yourself in a circumstance where keeping/having a clean kitchen all the isn't possible? Or should you practice non attachment over this issue?
Keep things clean & orderly, but do not obsess over it. "Cleanliness is next to godliness."
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Why not when people can be attached to any situation?